• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Engine position sensor alarm

AO299D

Hi i have a 259d with an electronic engine that it's throwing a speed engine position sensor alarm I changed the sensor and it's still does it, what should the signal look like if I hook onto it with a scope to check it at the sensor and at the ECU

AO299D

Yes that's correct and s\n is DZT00733
And the engine actually runs better with the sensor unplugged so that tells me something happens when you plug in the sensor

AO299D

That's on a 299d2xhp should a 259 read same?

Attachments

• 16039324321512598006467141286091.jpg
    16039324321512598006467141286091.jpg
    955.5 KB · Views: 7

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
upload_2020-10-29_1-37-28.png

See where the attached procedure gets you.
I attached the electrical schematic as well. You'll probably need it to locate the resistor on the engine harness and to trace wires. Maybe the illustration below might help. The resistor is circled in red, tie-wrapped to the harness

upload_2020-10-29_1-50-22.png

Attachments

• 636-8 Speed_Timing Test.pdf
    153.1 KB · Views: 7
  • UENR3962-08 - Electrical Schematic.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 3

AO299D

This machine only has 500 hrs and looks like new around the engine I tested the resistor and it tests the proper resistance last night I hook my scope on to the signal wire and I found that it's skipping pulses do you think I should cut the wires and change the plug I once had to do that on another skid steer20201028_210652.jpg

TVA

This machine only has 500 hrs and looks like new around the engine I tested the resistor and it tests the proper resistance last night I hook my scope on to the signal wire and I found that it's skipping pulses do you think I should cut the wires and change the plug I once had to do that on another skid steerView attachment 226836
Is the skipping random or regular? Problem might be mechanical, like improper gap or mechanical damage to a teeth.

Test the wires under load, check the sensors on the same branch of the feed, wiggle test, you know the drill.

intermittent loss of continuity, in the plug is not only possible issue, there’s more possibilities.

AO299D

I was checking the signal just behind the plug with a pin probe that stabs through the rubber of wire so that's probably what you would call under load?

TVA

I was checking the signal just behind the plug with a pin probe that stabs through the rubber of wire so that's probably what you would call under load?

No, under load means load up the particular wire with something, for example I have device called LoadPro which with pressing of the button can induce the load of 400mAmp to the wire.
On something more substantial people use 55 watt headlight.
That’s more for checking loose contacts or internal wire damage, when only one or two strands are left. Or what you suspect - loose crimp or solder of the wire to the pin.

if using multimeter you check ( or induce) the voltage on (through) the wire, then after you load the wire and voltage drops substantially - it means you have an issue!

if voltage remains relatively the same - it means that integrity of this particular branch of wiring is sufficient.

Last edited:

AO299D

I'm not exactly sure how it can not connect but I have tested two sensors now and with not coming a steady pulse to the wire right behind the plug I think that's the only thing it could be but maybe I'm just missing something yet

TVA

I'm not exactly sure how it can not connect but I have tested two sensors now and with not coming a steady pulse to the wire right behind the plug I think that's the only thing it could be but maybe I'm just missing something yet

like I said before - there can be more issues then bad sensor or bad plug.
It might end up being bad ECM, but you’ll have to “get there”!
Because calling it ECM is a very difficult decision, and one must exhaust all other options and possibilities before making that decision.
Check your diagram, check everything that on the same branch that can pull your signal down. It might be another sensor or wiring.
Some brands are notorious for having low quality wiring that have damage to the wires deep inside the harness.

I am not dismissing the bad plug option - simply pointing out that there more possibilities!

Nige

Did you try the testing procedure in Post #6 above.?
If so what was the result.?

Another suggestion. Find every major/minor harness connector between the sensor and the ECM. They will be shown on the electrical schematic. Open up each connector in turn and do the "wire pull test" on every wire in the speed sensor circuit. It won't be the first time to find a connector where the pin/socket has not been pushed in far enough to lock correctly. IMO doing the basics is what needs to be carried out before starting to get into the more esoteric stuff like putting a scope on the sensor signal.

AO299D

Did you try the testing procedure in Post #6 above.?
If so what was the result.?

Another suggestion. Find every major/minor harness connector between the sensor and the ECM. They will be shown on the electrical schematic. Open up each connector in turn and do the "wire pull test" on every wire in the speed sensor circuit. It won't be the first time to find a connector where the pin/socket has not been pushed in far enough to lock correctly. IMO doing the basics is what needs to be carried out before starting to get into the more esoteric stuff like putting a scope on the sensor signal.

yes everything looked good and i checked the continuity between the ecm, resistor and sensor should i test that under load yet or would the next easiest thing to be to swap ecms with another 242? boy i hope its not the teeth on engine itself i guess i didnt check that from the procedure, would likely have to tear engine out to do that?

AO299D

Any why would I not be getting an email when someone replys to this thread? I did at the start.

Nige

Why would you want to "diagnose" it..?
It's nothing more than an information message telling you that maximum engine RPM has been limited until the engine warms up sufficiently..........
Once the coolant temperature rises above a predetermined point the message will disappear on its own.

upload_2020-11-9_18-18-5.png

..........this feature also includes a warm-up period in cold start conditions. This feature limits the engine speed to certain RPMs for a short duration based on coolant temperature. This event is normal and designed to protect vital engine components. See Table 4.

upload_2020-11-9_18-22-25.png

Last edited:

AO299D

Well I just thought it's odd it comes up now when I never see it in the winter.