• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Engine oil 1990 mini digger

langehaas

I own a 1990 Peljob (Volvo) eb12 1.5t mini digger with a 3 cilinder diesel engine (mitsubishi k3e I think).
What engine oil should I use? (moderate climate)
How much oil does an engine like that take?

thanks!

Lil' Puss

I have a K4E (4 cylinder version) in my Mitsubishi mini-ex. I use Delo 400 15w-40 and if I remember right it holds about 1-1/2 gallons. Yours may be slightly less. I don't change oil all that often because I do it by analysis. Use your dipstick as a guide on the first oil change.

joispoi

If you have a Techni-Freins or Super-Freins near you, go talk to them and ask them which 15w40 oil you need. Do NOT use automotive grade 15w40. It should take about 3.5 liters.

You may want to price out the oil and filters at your volvo dealer. I found that my dealer is cheaper (errr...not that they're cheap, but less overpriced) than any of the other suppliers I've found- including the Baldwin dealers on Ebay.

langehaas

Thanks for the responses.
I will check at my local tractor parts-supplier to see if they have a specific 15w40 (maybe "delo 400" if it is called that here)... I was about to go to the supermarket for 5, 10 or 15w40 but will be more careful now!
I already ordered a new filter. I have owned the digger for over 3 years now and although I don't use it that often, I'm sure it is time for an oil change!