• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Engine Brake

440chevy

I leave it on anyway when it's the middle of the work day. If it's late I usually just pick a hill that doesn't have noise laws.

hollywood

Occupation
Coporate Technician Trainer
That's the Catch 22 - The sound you love is making other people put up the signs. Even Jacobs asks that everybody run mufflers...

As far as I know there is no engine brake made for the 8.3 or ISC. They do make an exhaust brake for it though. Or maybe look into getting a driveline retarder?

Your are right, you will have to go with an exhaust brake on the 8.3 or ISC. I installed one on a motorhome when I worked for Cummins.

Last edited:

Deerehauler

This is another case where a few idiots make it rough for everybody else.

In our area all the little towns came up with the idea of "no engine braking/jake brakes/ect inside city limits." What brought this on was almost every Billy Bigtrucker Bullhauler had to have dual 8" straight pipes and the only way to get the pipes to cackle was to rev the engine up against the governor and max out the jakes. The stacks would really bellow. People began to get sick of this when a fleet of 8 trucks rolls into town at 2 AM.

I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket by using jakes, but I suppose these laws give the law enforcement officer a change to write a ticket to someone being obnoxious when they are coming into a town on a flat road.

I DO NOT support the laws concerning Vail pass--a fully loaded truck needs all the help it can get in the stopping department. Sadly, the trucker following the law and not operating his jakes (or other retarders) will be just as much at fault when he can't stop to avoid an accident due in part to hot brakes. I almost think I'd take my chances on getting caught running the jakes rather that deal with the aftermath of an accident caused in part by hot, faded brakes.

JFortner5

There are a few signs I have seen around here, but not many. I agree with the above though, a little noise is worth potentially saving lives and avoiding accidents.

I also love the sound of straight pipes and jakes, but I also understand that in some areas some people have to constantly hear it at all hours.

Iron Horse

Mufflers are cheap , Ive always had full use of my Jakes without being inconsiderate to others trying to sleep . Just because I'm awake doesn't mean everyone else has to be . Everyone likes the muffled growl of a Jake , but these wankers going through towns with no mufflers sounding like ack ack fire destroy people's quality of life .

LonestarCobra

We have a young guy at work who was issued a brand new Pete in 2004. It had the 550HP Cat, and he was dissapointed in how quiet the exhaust was. After he asked several times for straight pipes, and being told no, he looked for other options. About a month later, the exhaust and engine brake started to get pretty loud. The owners office was right by the gate where the trucks come in, and he was tired of telling the driver to back off the noise, and respect the neighbors. About 5 minutes with my laptop, he had no more jakes, and a 65 mph speed limit. Talk about humble, he was. About 2 years later, I found out he dropped 4 D-Cell batteries down the stacks, and it ate the baffles out of the muffler.

rino

Occupation
Drive steel bed Dump Truck for a paving company
In all actuality the jake brake, compression brake, engine retarder, or what ever the manuf. calls it is a BRAKE on a COMMERCIAL vehicle which is under FEDERAL regulation! I have beat a muni ticket for Jake use where prohibited! Since it is a brake, and up to the drivers digression as to when it is needed, no government agency can lawfully decide when you use any braking device. I ask the judge if he really wants to have his Court looked at by the Federal DOT, too see if your ordnance is legal?

Just like setting the parking brake. That air shot can be heard for blocks! But a cop can't ticket you for setting your parking brake if you are parking waiting for a place to open! If you need that extra braking help from the Jake, their ticket is illegal! And a noise ordnance is just that "Unnecessary noise of excessive exhaust, loud music, yelling in a fight, barking dogs, NOT Jake brakes!

All it will take is for one driver to testify the :if I could have used my jake brake, I wouldn't have had the accident, and I wouldn't be suing the municipality

RTSmith

Occupation
Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
For those of us getting udemacated here- What about the tales that using your Jake ups the fuel consumption over not using it. Anything to that?

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
I can't even imagine the logic behind that one... Since it only works when the throttle is off I'm gonna say no, fuel use isn't affected.

jared

Using your Jakes has no effect at all on fuel consumption, fuel is shut off when your foot is lifted off the throttle.