• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Elvex Aware Ear Protection

CT18fireman

Occupation
Owner
As I have stated in some previous posts, I take care of maintenance for the owner of Elvex in Bethel, CT. Elvex make a wide range of safety products for many industries. These include hearing and eye protection, hard hats face shields and chain saw safety items like chaps.

For many years I have used Elvex's FM radio ear muffs for mowing and other work.

Recently I was offered a Demo of a newer product. Called Elvex Aware it is earmuff style protection that allows AM/FM radio as well as MP3 Jack. The new feature on this item is that is also has microphones mounted on each ear piece. These microphones have there own volume control and allow you to hear people talking and other enviromental noises while still providing protection. They have been out for a little while now and the company has made some improvements on the original unit.

I am going to be using these units while I am mowing as well as on a couple skid steer jobs I have in the next couple weeks. I will report back to on how they perform.

heavylift

I looked at them... but the last place I worked was 100% Hardhat...All times All equipment.... Foreman drive on job he had to have a hard hat on...

I do wear earplugs daily .... sometimes 10 to 12 hours... and I'm not really found of earmuffs

music I can do with or without.... I just don't like continous noise...

Do they have a hard hat model?

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
As I have stated in some previous posts, I take care of maintenance for the owner of Elvex in Bethel, CT. Elvex make a wide range of safety products for many industries. These include hearing and eye protection, hard hats face shields and chain saw safety items like chaps.

For many years I have used Elvex's FM radio ear muffs for mowing and other work.

Recently I was offered a Demo of a newer product. Called Elvex Aware it is earmuff style protection that allows AM/FM radio as well as MP3 Jack. The new feature on this item is that is also has microphones mounted on each ear piece. These microphones have there own volume control and allow you to hear people talking and other enviromental noises while still providing protection. They have been out for a little while now and the company has made some improvements on the original unit.

I am going to be using these units while I am mowing as well as on a couple skid steer jobs I have in the next couple weeks. I will report back to on how they perform.

So how did they work out ,what was the cost ,were they comfortable?

CT18fireman

Occupation
Owner
Well I have gotten some hours in on these and have to say I am pretty impressed. The radio tuning is much better then older models. Of course this could be because they are new. Same with the clarity and sound of the speakers, time will tell how they last, but my old units still sound great.

The fit of the headphones is far suprerior to other units I have tried. Adjustment is easy and holds its place. The phones fit tight but still sllow cofrtable wearing of sunglasses. Without the radio on the earmuffs block all sound. According to the literature they can be used as shooting protection.

The best feature though is the mics. I thought it would be weird to hear someone talking but its not. In fact it is like a normal convesation. I can hear clearly though the sound level is controlled. I don't know how they technology works but engine sounds and other loud noise levels though picked up are muted.

I have used these on our mowing days and its nice to be able to listen to music or the radio and still be able hear my worker talking to me without having to idle down or shut off the ZTR. I just turn up the mic gain and can hear him.

The real test was this week when I was working a drainage and topsoil spreading job using a Tractor / Backhoe and Skid Steer. Most of the operators around me wear no ear protection when opertating this equipment. I know a couple operators who now have permanant ear damage after years of running skid steers. I did not use the radio when working this job but still had the unit on and when I needed to hear my worker I turned up the mic volume. My worker was able to give me readings from the laser level and other information without having to shut down.

The only negative so far has been because of the heat. Not specific to this model earmuffs are hotter to wear then just plugs. You sometimes sweat into them. My older units have held up to this so I would expect them to do as well.

I think MSRP is $117, you can order them right from Elvex. Check out their website or give them a call. Tell them Jesse sent you.;) They have lots of information on their models as well as hearing protection in general.