• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Electric Drive Tractors!!!

Bolt turner

High drive Low drive

The electric drive has to be a low drive or else the drive system would be where you seat normally is on a high drive machine. The tranys are always low and the cross shaft is high on a high drive.

Deas Plant

Russian Diesel-Electric dozers

Hi, Sparffo.
Welcome to the forum. Where have you been hiding?

The Russian diesel-electric dozers have already been mentioned in another thread where the subject of the new Cat D7E diesel-electric dozer came up.

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=5453&page=4

How is your Massey-Ferguson 3366 going? And your pedal-steer D6C dozer?
Many of the members here would not have seen the photos of that D6C that you posted some years ago over on the Cat sites. Would you like to post them here for those who missed out? Thanks in anticipation.

Sparffo

Occupation
Demolition contractor
Hi mate!

Hi, Sparffo.
Welcome to the forum. Where have you been hiding?

How is your Massey-Ferguson 3366 going? And your pedal-steer D6C dozer?
Many of the members here would not have seen the photos of that D6C that you posted some years ago over on the Cat sites. Would you like to post them here for those who missed out? Thanks in anticipation.

Hi Deas!

Nice to see some internet friends over here also :)
I was reading on ACME Discussion Forums about pipelayers, and got so exited that i had to search for some pictures. I found plenty of pictures and this site! man this is really good! you can have everything, demolition, loaders, dozers and excavators :cool:

My MF is doing well now! i had to change the steering pump recently, it just quit steering... first i put a "good used one", and ended up working a nother 3 hours chaingin that one to a new, time well spent there...

maybe i should upload some pictures of the machines here, the pedal steer D6C is quite rare, not to mention the fishing boat look-a-like ROPS cab it has :D

at the moment i have some service work to do on it, blade cylinders and oils. maybe even put a back hoe on it!

Have a nice day!

here in finland it snow storms, and people are wrecking cars quite badly

Deas Plant

Pictures.

Hi, Sparffo.
I think many people here would like to some photos of your D6C when you have time. As you said, it is a rare beast. The MF 3366 may be of interest to some too. I can still remember quite clearly being told by a certain 'expert' that there was no such animal as an MF 3366, despite the fact that I had run one for a while.

Drive safely.

Dozer575

Banned
Occupation
Machinist and occasional pt Dozer oper
CEWriter, I have some questions.
(1) How are the speed ranges changed?
What I mean is on most motor speed change systems motor HP/ torque, out put is lowered as speed is slowed. On a dozer when you shift down you want high torque.

(2) When is Cat going to offer a large size dozer as a conventional oval track unit?
(3) What is the operating voltage range for these traction motors?
(4) What is the percentage of power loss converting rotating motion from the engine to electricity and then back again to rotating motion. And the difference between the Electric drive dozer as compaired to a standard gear drive dozer? And consider a lockup converter.
(5) Are the motors high effciency permanent magnet motors?
(6) If this comes to be will all dealers be set up to do motor rebuilding and rewinding?
(7) During operation is the engine speed set to one position, and no decelerating being done at all?
(8) How can a person have a chance to field test one of these, to see if any problems crop up?

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
CEWriter, I have some questions.
(1) How are the speed ranges changed?
What I mean is on most motor speed change systems motor HP/ torque, out put is lowered as speed is slowed. On a dozer when you shift down you want high torque.

(2) When is Cat going to offer a large size dozer as a conventional oval track unit?
(3) What is the operating voltage range for these traction motors?
(4) What is the percentage of power loss converting rotating motion from the engine to electricity and then back again to rotating motion. And the difference between the Electric drive dozer as compaired to a standard gear drive dozer? And consider a lockup converter.
(5) Are the motors high effciency permanent magnet motors?
(6) If this comes to be will all dealers be set up to do motor rebuilding and rewinding?
(7) During operation is the engine speed set to one position, and no decelerating being done at all?
(8) How can a person have a chance to field test one of these, to see if any problems crop up?

:nono
You have exceeded the maximum allowed number of questions per post. :Banghead

In the future,
please limit the number of questions to no more than 4(four) per post.:professor

And welcome back :drinkup

Last edited:

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Mf

The MF 3366 may be of interest to some too. I can still remember quite clearly being told by a certain 'expert' that there was no such animal as an MF 3366, despite the fact that I had run one for a while.

Drive safely.

Hi Deas, was that a track shovel with a backactor on it.?
My first mount @13yrs, was what became the MF40R and it had a 4 digit number. maybe 2205? a tractor with front shovel, and a backactor that you sat on top of the kingpost, 4 levers + 2 for the legs. :p It became the MF40R (torque converter f/r) with an all in 1 cab :D
If you really wanted to you could take everything off and have just a tractor :eek:

Deas Plant

Mf 3366.

Hi Rob.
The one that I ran was a track loader with rear-mounted rippers - approx. Cat 941 size give or take a smidgin and it didn't do too badly either. I spent most of my time on it boxing out roads and loading the spoil straight into trucks. It was mostly fairly sticky orange clay and the jigger didn't any trouble digging it straight out of the road bed. The odd shale patch required a tickle with the ripper and the ripper with 3 shanks was also handy when mining for old copper pipes from old domestic water connections. It brought 'em up all nicely wrapped around the shanks, ready to peel off and load into the car boot. Scored a bit drinking silver from that - I drank in those days.

The jigger had 2 speeds forward and reverse with a dogleg shift pattern, quite easy to get used to. I actually enjoyed running it - - - 'cos it burned diesel fuel, made noise and moved dirt. LOL.

d4c24a

heres one ,classic plant mag has been doing the history of MF industrial
i cut my teeth on a MF 40 of late 70s vintage :D

Attachments

• MF 3366 DOZER.jpg
    MF 3366 DOZER.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 2,557

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Mf

Thanks Deas, I knew the number was good, just not sure of the configuration.
Looking at that sheet d4c24a has loaded I think it was the 2244 that had the same backacter as the MF40R. So so long ago :D

heres one ,classic plant mag has been doing the history of MF industrial
i cut my teeth on a MF 40 of late 70s vintage :D

Hi d4c24a, still a piano, ( 4+2 levers ) just you missed the pleasure of sitting outside to learn :D Those were the days eh! :rolleyes:
Thinking about it it must have been about 1973 that (our) 40 arrived as I used it prior to full employment in mid 74. :drinkup

d4c24a

joy o joy

4+2 and the joys of trying to loosen the backhoe bolts to move it across :D
i must dig some pictures out
cheers graham

Sparffo

Occupation
Demolition contractor
I have some videos on youtube from a house demolition job we made with my MF3366 ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yriqs5tj9w

i will try to convince my wife that she has to come and take some more movie clips! i will have to figure out something to do first :D
maybe i could rip and load some frozen ground :p

Deas Plant

What became of them???????????????

Hi, Rob.
Yep, there was a 2244 for a while. It became the MF 200 track loader and the 3366 became the MF 300. At about the same time, they brought out a 400 model and I think I vaguely remember seeing a 600 model too. I also think there was some sort of tie-up with Hanomag of Germany for a while too.

Deas Plant

Dozer 575/D8Bob questions

Hi, Folks.
I'm no expert but I thought I'd take a lash at answering some of the above questions from the inestimable Mr D8Bob.

Some of them are no-brainers. F'rinstance, #1. I'm no expert but I'd have thought that they would strive for a stepless speed increase system along the lines of the hydrostatic drive infinitely variable system. Virtually all the electric drives I have seen up to date, albeit mostly stationary systems with the exception of diesel/electric and electric locomotives have all had infinitely variable, stepless speed control. Also, I understand that most electric motors produce their greatest torque at or near stall. Check this link:
http://www.yanceybros.com/index.php/www/company/news_and_events/734

#2 - Please D8Bob, hold your breath waiting for Cat to bring out their bigger models in oval track. If you had read and understood the Cat explanation of why they have reverted to oval track with this machine, you would now know that they now regard the high-sprocket design as being better suited to the larger models, D8 and up, which have the bogie system for the bottom track rollers and idlers.

#3 - again, a little eyes-open reading would have elicited the information that this system runs on 480 volts:
http://www.contractjournal.com/Arti...xclusivecatlaunchesd7eelectricdrivedozer.html

#4 - again, according to the 'blurb' in the link above, which is all we have to go on at the moment since there are as yet none of the little jiggers running around the hills proving anything, the new system will be 10% MORE efficient than the old torque converter-powershift system.

#5 - I read somewhere earlier that the electric motors were of the AC Induction type - brushless but still requiring permanent magnets to operate. You can read more about them here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_motor

#6 - wait and see. I'd suspect an exchange program might be the 'go'.

#7 - about constant engine revs or decelerating. Now I'm no expert but I'd have thought that constant revs would be a must to keep current voltage and amperage constant. Again, a little eyes-open reading would have elicited this information.

#8 - buy a HUGE block of shares in Cat - or go and get a job in their testing department.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Mf

:eek:fftopic :rolleyes:

Thanks for the vid link Sparrfo, looks like you were really enjoying yourself :D
Hi Deas, I believe you are correct about Hanomag, suppose we better leave this now or we will get in to trouble for hijacking. :D

BearEU

Rumors have been flying around, but now it's official. Caterpillar will offer an industry-first track-type tractor. This thing is AWESOME, and is another example of Caterpillar leading the construction equipment industry in technology and innovation.

Caterpillar Announces the First-of-Its-Kind Electric Drive
Track-Type Tractor

"PEORIA, IL— In a move that further positions it as the world’s leading manufacturer of earthmoving equipment, Caterpillar Inc. (NYSE: CAT) is unveiling the first innovative AC electric drive track-type tractor in the industry. The revolutionary electric drive system developed for track-type tractors gives the D7E an unmatched balance of power, efficiency, control and maneuverability. The machine will be showcased at CONEXPO/CON-AGG 2008 March 11-15 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
“The D7E offers a quantum leap in customer value through significant productivity increases and reduced owning and operating costs,” said Mark Pflederer, vice president of Caterpillar’s Heavy Construction & Mining Division. “This is another example of Caterpillar’s global technology leadership and commitment to sustainable innovation which is not only good for our customers economics, but the environment as well.”
From a performance standpoint, this new product demonstrates Caterpillar’s commitment to the industry with a machine that does more work and consumes less fuel and parts while providing customers with lower operating costs. Caterpillar plans to commercially introduce the D7E in select markets during 2009.
“From an environmental sustainability perspective, the D7E uses substantially less fuel per hour – dramatically reducing the amount of carbon dioxide emissions,” said Caterpillar Group President Stu Levenick. “This revolutionary design consumes fewer resources over its working life than any other track-type tractor in its class. All major components are engineered to be rebuilt or reused in the future.”
The D7E is in the 60,000-pound (27 000-kilogram) weight range and is powered by a Cat® C9 engine producing 235 horsepower (175 kilowatts). A traditional mechanical transmission is not needed, because the variable speed electric motors serve the function of a continuously variable transmission. The electric drive train has 60 percent fewer moving parts compared to previous D7s. The electric system also provides power to auxiliary components so that no engine belts are needed. The C9 engine, complete with ACERT® Technology, meets U.S. Tier 3 emissions standards, and the tractor has been designed with Tier 4 in mind. The new D7E has other innovative new features including an exclusive center-post cab, beltless engine and SystemOneTM undercarriage."
Dear activeorpassive,
Dear offroad dump truck experts,

I just read some of your comments here in this forum and I would like to ask you some questions.
Currently I'm working on a study concerning the electric drive system of mining trucks (offroad dump trucks) at university in Germany.
Do you think it would be possible to get in chat about this issue? Via, email, telephone or messenger services?
From your comments I figured that you are pretty knowladgable in offroad heavy dump trucks.
Since I'm new to this forum I hope my message reaches the right people and is in the right place here ;)
It would be nice to get an answer to this message, either here of via email (mail2bear@gmx.net).
Thanks in advance very much.

Bear

Ray Welsh

Banned

JDOFMEMI

I looked at the above photos. Thanks for that. My comment is that one hose to the tilt cylinder looks exposed to damage by timber. Maybe its been left like that for testing???, and will have guards on final design??........C ya......Ray

Made me look now.

It looks to me like in the one picture, the hose is out there, and there is no guard. In most of the others, I see a nice tidy guard, and the hose is no where to be seen.
Did you notice the first two pics are different tractors? One has a yellow tilt cylinder with guards, and the other has a black cylinder, with the hose hanging out waiting to get snagged on something.

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
On one of the pictures i noticed the tilt cylinder hose also running across the radiator grill behind the lift cyclinder.Tilt cylinder hose in clearing has always been a probably.

Doesn't the D7G tilt hose run through the push arm:beatsme.Seem like them and the 8's did.Can't remember anything anymore!!!!!!:usa