• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

electric diggers

mitch504

My guess is that could be great for certain situations, but the industry probably isn't ready for it to take over.

robin yates uk

deffo a sign of things to come. Who would have thought an electric motorbike would lap the TT circuit on the Isle of Man at 100mph?the fastest dragsters on the quarter mile, electric Porsche?

buckfever

Might not be a bad idea for someone who do alot of small residential jobs. Those jobs that only take mayby an hour of diging and the rest of the time is pipe work. I wouldn't mind them making a 15 ton machine that you could plug in a 110 volt outlet and it would be charged in the morning. This way i could work all day then plug my machine into the contractors temp. powerpole;)

Plues you could tell everyone you make money useing a steam powered ex.

lectro88

Occupation
master electrician/owner
Give me a dirty diesel anyday!

I'll second that.
This could have a place, but being an electrician and an owner/operator and knowing the true upkeep of batteries and the factor of the elements(cold is a killer and heat with high demand really tolls as well ) And the true demands of an excavator on site. Let a battery have a bad cell or a couple bad cells in several batts. I see the need for a #8 or 6 100" cord and generator and that adds for more headaches. All you know what a cord would add to this mix and add a low seat time op and now you need another cord and possibly Gen.too. A good example is your battery tools.. how many times when you really need it is it REALLY ready to go the distance. And all the batteries will need to be replaced at some point $$$ ???
Don't get me wrong, this is cool where you need it and properly maintained in a climate batteries can live.
I know electric is used in some mining...
Hope I didn't ramble too much, was just bringing out what I encounter with things like scissor lifts and the like on the jobs that are electric on a daily basis.

>HevyIndsMFGng<

Occupation
Mechanic/Student

I'll third that too! But I agree with others here in this thread that these machines could definitely have their place in the future. These are perfect for residential areas and in cities where noise and diesel fumes could be eliminated making homeowners less frustrated with the local utility company(making everyone happy). I couldn't see these working out in the country or in remote areas where a power source like this could be easily recharged. But mark my words, this will be a huge market in the future for landscapers, small excavating contractors, and utility contractors alike. These machines could significantly lower costs and improve operating efficiencies in addition to many other unforseen advantages they may hold to similar diesel powered machines. This will be the future, no doubt about it.

>HevyIndsMFGng<

Occupation
Mechanic/Student

I'll third that too! But I agree with others here in this thread that these machines could definitely have their place in the future. These are perfect for residential areas and in cities where noise and diesel fumes could be eliminated making homeowners less frustrated with the local utility company(making everyone happy). I couldn't see these working out in the country or in remote areas where a power source like this could be easily recharged. But mark my words, this will be a huge market in the future for landscapers, small excavating contractors, and utility contractors alike. These machines could significantly lower costs and improve operating efficiencies in addition to many other unforseen advantages they may hold to similar diesel powered machines. This will be the future, no doubt about it.

Lectro88, you bring up some great points about how the batteries will be affected in the vast climate changes we see outside. Obviously the forklift industry heavily relies on battery operated machines in factories and warehouses, but that is indoors. Maybe as the need for these machines in outside environments increases we will see battery technology develop to work more efficiently in cold and hot temperatures?

Dualie

If they were capable of also being line powered during operation then they would definately catch on. In demo or indoor work they would absolutely dominate.

robin yates uk

they mine salt in Cheshire,UK using big electric powered plant.I visited years ago and was very impressed with the quiet and clean operation.