• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

El 240B extremely hard starting. How can i fix this?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Although I can say that when the batteries are fresh it cranks at about 3/4 the speed of a brand new 3406C that we bought to put in a local use dump truck.
Too slow in other words .......

If the starter was replaced recently then I'd look very hard at the cables and connections in the battery/starting circuit.

As an aside what viscosity of oil do you have in the hydraulic system..?

HDMRice

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Tech
The first step for me would be engine RPM, as has been said. A photo tachometer is not too expensive, and should help you out to determine the engine cranking rpm. Its a nice tool to have, in any case.

With all that smoke, and it starting easier in the cold weather, plus the heated air from the intake heater making it harder to start, I'd give the air side a good look over. Make sure your air filters are good, and you've got no restrictions. That's pretty basic though, and you've probably looked it over.

If you find the RPM's are low, and you suspect the hydraulic system, you should be able to plug in a gauge and see what sort of pressure is being generated during cranking.

sorry for the late reply. we finished the general maintnence we were doing on the machine and it started right up first try with minimal cranking it ran like that for about a week and then it blew a exhaust manifold gasket. we changed that and then it would not start. it was blowing white smoke so we checked the fuel system over an fixed some bad connections on the fuel pump and changed all the fuel filters. it started to blow black smoke now when we tryed to start it but it wont start. we have even jumped it to another loader to give the starter more power and it turns like a jet engine but it will only half run and half turn on the starter while belching black smoke in between the large amounts of dark grey smoke. the solenoid on the fuel pump clicks when you turn the key on and off. the fuel filters stay primed when we try to start it. could this be a bad fuel pump? low fuel pressure? can anyone send me some diagrams of the fuel system or tell me the recommended spec for the fuel system?