• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Egged out equalizer holes

heymccall

How would you go about fixing these holes?
8k axles with equalizer.
Obviously, a new equalizer is in order. But, it calls for a 7/8" bolt and the holes are over 1" egged.
If it weren't for the deck tilt sharing the equalizer bolt, I'd just weld in stepped washers.
The tilt cylinder pin is seized in the rod, making more work to simply lift off the deck, and I'd like to avoid flipping it over if possible.
Is there a simple way to just weld/ bore the holes?
I'm open to suggestions, as the axle is 2 weeks out.20231220_161625.jpg20231220_161635.jpg

Tyler d4c

Hold a plate on the inside weld the hole shut and redrill get location measurements before doing so
Once you redrill you have to cut what's left of the Plate you covered the hole with.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I've seen guys grind the holes with a die grinder and carbide burr and slip a section of DOM tubing section to sleeve it down to correct interior dimension or open this new bushing up to proper dimension with an annular cutter.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
If they're egged out, the plate isn't thick enough. I'd get some heavy bushes machined up out of hollow bar about double the thickness of the plate.
I'd then run an annular cutter that's the outside diameter of the bushes through the plates with a mag drill, then grab a longer bolt, slide the new bushes on to the bolt, position the bushes evenly in the plates, tack weld, remove bolt, then fully weld.