• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ed's 77 Terex 72-41

56wrench

A flexible ground cable would be easy to install between the front and rear frames and probably a good idea

mountainguyed67

Getting close to having the log grapple working. Got a second hole in the top pins. It work hardened before getting through the second hole, had to finish it with a carbide burr. The new hole will put the grease hole where it needs to be.

12A7DB80-A48C-45D4-ACB9-2CAE1251623F.jpeg625F1AD7-EEDB-4E5A-A67A-A1EE04E6A371.jpegE0EE193D-E32D-4616-AAD7-569C6BAE561E.jpegB1F32A07-505B-4B44-8D2D-FB59853459AA.jpeg

mountainguyed67

Another hydraulic leak yesterday, a flange hose connection on the bucket pump. I didn’t have that size o-ring, but already went half way down to Fresno and got some. Now to fix it.

mountainguyed67

I also drilled through the bushings for the above pins. The collars had holes, but not the bushings. I could only drill from one side because of placement of collars, and the second side walked. Now I’m going to drill a little bigger diameter to make the bolt go through easy, I don’t want to drive it in with a hammer.

davejo

I'm thinking of looking at one of these vintage loaders so this is an outstanding thread. Is there anything that you would consider a "do not buy at any price" issue I need to look for when inspecting?

I'm not sure what year or model but it looks very similar to yours except the windshields are slightly more Art Deco looking with a sort of raised eyebrow look to them

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I'm thinking of looking at one of these vintage loaders so this is an outstanding thread. Is there anything that you would consider a "do not buy at any price" issue I need to look for when inspecting?

I'm not sure what year or model but it looks very similar to yours except the windshields are slightly more Art Deco looking with a sort of raised eyebrow look to them
Allis, Fiat Allis. Parts stream is essentially Dry. Unlike many to use off the shelf generic pieces, AC/FA engineered to specific designs no longer made.

davejo

The loader looks a lot like this one, having the same curvy windshield:

mountainguyed67

Another hydraulic leak yesterday, a flange hose connection on the bucket pump. I didn’t have that size o-ring, but already went half way down to Fresno and got some. Now to fix it.

This leak came back twice now, each time after using the bucket to pop a rock out of the ground with breakout force. A friend thinks I need to dial back the regulator on the control valve.

mountainguyed67

Installing the seal stretched it out like last time, so I’ve got it compressed in to hold it there. Doing this overnight worked on the other cylinder, then it went together. The only thing I’m waiting on now is the bushing that goes inside the gland, I’m having a v machined into one end. Both old ones were already that way, the only available new one isn’t. The reason it’s needed is to get the right thickness to keep the bushing and seals from moving inside the gland, that would cause them to wear too fast. Once it’s back together I’ll go up and put the cylinder back on the loader, weather permitting.

76D72CF8-CAF6-4D48-A579-F3FAC5396924.jpeg

mountainguyed67

Installing the seal stretched it out like last time, so I’ve got it compressed in to hold it there. Doing this overnight worked on the other cylinder, then it went together. The only thing I’m waiting on now is the bushing that goes inside the gland, I’m having a v machined into one end. Both old ones were already that way, the only available new one isn’t. The reason it’s needed is to get the right thickness to keep the bushing and seals from moving inside the gland, that would cause them to wear too fast. Once it’s back together I’ll go up and put the cylinder back on the loader, weather permitting.

View attachment 300668

I installed this cylinder a month and a half ago, it doesn’t leak. One lift cylinder developed a leak though, I was hoping I’d never have to mess with those heavy things.

mountainguyed67

I’m having trouble figuring out my parts book. Why is there no figure/drawing to show what the part numbers are? It only has a number pointing at a group of parts, it’s like it’s meant to be used with another book. To the right of the part descriptions there’s “Types” with numbers under it, what does that mean? The front of the book doesn’t have an explanation. I can confirm that 5.5001 is part number 5167709 by the bottom picture.

7809D073-91CE-4B10-979C-21E05FBAC1CB.jpegBEF5408C-4DF9-47A7-97AE-0952429B6C2D.jpegAD136B20-DD15-4F15-81CA-B723D3024694.jpeg