• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Early JD 544 questions

skroll

Occupation
Semi-retired, I'm tired anyway!
Another weak 544 Wheel loader.

I just acquired a 544. Drove it 15 miles home and by the time we got their it barely would climb a hill in low range. The oil pressure is right at the mark at high idle, the oil temp warmed up to right where it should be. If the converter is slipping that much I would expect to see the trany fluid getting hot. It never budged beyond normal. The unit had better speed before the unit warmed up.

Ideas fellers?

BUFORD

Sorry to jump in here-can you tell me how to access the end of the shift cable on a 544d. Thanks.

Oldiron

losing power when warm is sometimes the first sign of bearing failure in the torque convertor, if you catch it quick enough you can sometimes get away with changing a bearing, if left too long is destroys the convertor and fills the sump with aluminum filings which on 544Bs also fills the steering system with aluminum filings (there is a reason Terex had a separate steering sump)
@ Buford the end of the cable should be on the right side of the transmission in a really cramped place

BUFORD

Thanks Oldiron-I see it and am sure it is disconnected but unsure how to access that spot-my parts book shows a yoke with a clevis pin that hooks up to the bellcrank-can move gearshifter and see cable moving in the cramped place you told me about-there is no click on the shifter like going from netural to reverse or to low-just like nothing hooked on the other end. Thanks again for the reply.

Murph_MDM

Resurecting this sled regarding the tt-2221-1 transmission. Mine is installed in a Ford A-62 wheel loader. Question rgarding fluid level.

Following the manual for fluid level check:

Cold the level should be at or just above FULL mark (machine is safe to start)
Hot check fluid around 180 degrees the fluid should be between SAFE and FULL mark, not above.

My cold check is fine, but HOT the fluid is not on dipstick, I'm amazed at how many quarts I have added and can't get the level on the stick.

Tranny seems to be performing well, just keep adding fluid??? At COLD check, fluid is well above the Full mark, HOT not on dipstick. Normal to have such a big spread between cold and hot in these trannys??

Confused. (truth be told, embarassed at struggling with what should be a simple procedure)

Thanks,
Murph

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Soft shift transmissions were introduced with Allison Transmission SN 35042 which most likely would have been in a 544A.