• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dump Truck Questions

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
My brothers 2020 Western Star dump is spring suspension. However it was speced like whoever did it was smoking something, so it's not saying a lot. I have no issues with air ride though, the advantages far outweigh the bad.
The number one complaint everyone seems to mention is stability. Get it spec'd with dual levelling valves and that more or less becomes a non-issue.

Old Doug

No opinion either way as I hate trucks lol
I keep telling my self no more but this is a good family friends van. Its a nightmare the worst part is never working on one like it before. The head bolts were very tight i rounded 3 off and broke 2 sockets . I thought i would have to drill the heads off but i drove a sae socket on them and got them out. I had to do a bunch of extra work because i broke a timing chain guide . Alot of stuff just has RTV so its glued together every thing needs pryed apart and you cant see the bolts so as your prying you wonder if you have them all out. This is the last job i will do like this.IMG_20230202_070220.jpg

Old Doug

How long has that oil cooler been in there, good thing to change before it leaks.
There is alot of stuff on this engine that maybe should be replaced but were do you start and stop?

I hope i have learned something . The owner i worked for him years ago and was maybe my Dads best friend . I got in 3 good hours yesterday and i was going to work more on it but my brother had a guy that wants to buy some stuff so i stopped and showed him around. I hope to put the oil pan on tonight so the RTV can set up then i will be close to having it back together. Several things has made this no fun . My shop takes along time to heat up so when it was realy cold i couldnt just run out and work a hour here and their,i have alot of other stuff happening so i had to work on it when ever i could. Something that realy got to me was i have lost alot of my nerve to tear into the unknown.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Both trucks have had some minor work done but no paperwork for anything major which makes me a bit nervous on them

At 800k on a dump truck it has had all kinds of major work done, otherwise it would have been out in the weeds a long time ago.

I’d assume the kw was a semi made into a dump.

Semi's are light trucks. What kind of frame does it have? Hauling a dump is a rough life . . .

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I really don't see why everyone craps on air ride. I haven't seen a dump truck or logging truck built in the last 20 years that wasn't air ride.

Interesting how specs vary from region to region. You won't find a new dump truck on the lot here with air suspension. Same goes for roll offs, garbage trucks, mixers, etc.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Interesting how specs vary from region to region. You won't find a new dump truck on the lot here with air suspension. Same goes for roll offs, garbage trucks, mixers, etc.
That is interesting. I see the odd tandem class 7 Freightliner or Western Star straight dump with the spring over walking beam but I'd say the vast majority are on air.

I've even seen a garbage truck on Neway air ride recently. That was about the only application where I've regularly seen walking beams. Even rolloffs are gradually going to air ride from what I've noticed.

cfherrman

On dump, water trucks, or trucks with varying loads I do prefer a quality air suspension as it makes it a nice ride unloaded. You do need a better driver that doesn't sway around, and more importantly in my service, a driver that won't get stuck in the mud as the air suspensions are very quick to spin a tire.

I don't recommend any truck to have the kw il8 bad suspension.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I really haven't been on a dealer lot, but all the newer dumps I see around me in the bigger outfits that buy new ones regularly are on air. I don't think I have seen a single newer dump around here on a walking beam at all, at least not since maybe mid 2000's. All the older trucks are Hendrickson, maybe a few on air.

Truck Shop

One of the big reasons air suspension is used-most of it is the truck manufactures spec-ed suspension.
They don't want to sell other brands they want to sell their design. It does cost more to spec with other
than OEM.
A dump with a spec of Hendrickson late vocational suspension is the way to go.
#1 Hendrickson Haulmax
#2 Hendrickson Haulmax EX
#3 Hendrickson Primax----------All three are very good

Chalmers also makes good Vocational suspension.
#1 800-46K
#2 800-50K-----right on up to 80 to 100K suspension.

As far as frames-a standard spec rail for a truck with a drop by Freightliner is 7/16 wall grade of 90,000 psi.

One of the worst for any off road is PacCar AG400L and Freightliner-Air Liner suspensions.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
25,000 lb steer axle, 25,000 lb drop axle, 55,000 lb rears on HaulMaxx, twin steering boxes,
625 hp at 2050 torque, rtlo22313 speed, 1/2" frame rails, with full entertainment center and
a Keurig coffee maker. 20' box with super high lift.

A permanent thread should be started for the twice a month dump truck questions.
With a list of preferred power, transmissions, suspensions, type of box and cost range.
Fact is most of us who don't run them at least 2000 hours a year are buying based on price. A few of us consider more than just purchase price. Cost of ownership is often more than purchase.

99% of offered used trucks meeting my specifications were retired New England Town trucks. I've looked at maybe 100 of them all were more rusty than the Titanic! After years of searching for a truck I drive 1000 miles a year, I chose a fire truck & put my dump body on it.

I got the specifications EOne chose. Cat 3208 engine would NOT be first choice. Allison transmission would NOT be my first choice. I paid nothing for the truck, but have spent heavily since.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Seems like air ride is about the only way to build a tridrive like most outfits run in these parts though. The only non-air suspension I could see working with 3 drive axles is a modified version of the 4 spring Reyco.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Worked on enough converted road tractor dump trucks to NOT appreciate Tractor Style suspensions, Hard to access, continual necessity for repairs as were not designed for the severity of dump truck side loading. Defined Vocational Suspensions take that into consideration where the stresses are transferred into thrust links into the frame, axles/tires take a beating but the suspension wear and tear reduces. Tractor suspensions are also not idyllic for lifting a bed slightly off angle as transfer weight all too readily and tend to Lean easier, is a roll over concern.

Truck Shop

off angle as transfer weight all too readily and tend to Lean easier, is a roll over concern.
You know I posted that before on another thread--the dump truck police on here will be on that
like a bad smell.

I laugh at these threads--First off A DUMP TRUCK IS NOT CAR-it shouldn't ride like a car because it's
a frigging dump truck used for short distance, It's made to operate in adverse conditions.
Hendrickson RT suspension is built to withstand extreme articulation involved with job site conditions.
If a driver is complaining about how rough it rides on site--then use the excavation equipment to
build him a road inside the site.

Want a truck to haul rock, dirt, sand and logs but expect it to ride like a Lexus. Foolishness.