• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

DUMP TRUCK Karma

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
Thought I would share a story that plays over and over again in my live. I took the day off last Friday to go get some new tires on my tandem. I needed new rubber in a huge way. Don't you just love new tires ? Anyway, I purchased 10 brand new Michelin tires , Not rethreads , brand new top of the line michelin tires. I am now extremely nervous about having enough money to make the bills/eat for the rest of the month. So I Paid the bill and headed home. On my answering machine was a gentlemen needing some quick work done. Long story short and after a 22 hour day on Saturday and a 8 hours day on Sunday including all of my fuel etc....I ended up with 10 tires cost covered and an extra .59 cents of profit. I am always amazed at how things seem to work out/happen. I could not be happier to get this job just in time to cover for my new rubber. I didn't make much profit (.59) but for me its not about how much i make , its about how much I don't lose....Stupid story I know but i'm tired and bored and felt it fun enough to share with others that understand what we endure in this line of work,,,,,:usa

Semper Fi

Last edited:

pafarmer

Occupation
You actually made profit with a dump truck??:eek::D

I know its sounds like crazy talk doesn't it...........I am having a very hard time deciding just what exactly to do with the 59 cents thou................ha ha ha ha ha

1toomanyhobbies

Congrats on things working out for you!! It really is nice when work comes in right when you need it. I had that happen to me ealier this year when I was paying all my insurance premiums along with a few other bills. It makes you feel like someone upstairs is watching out for you. Now for the 59 cents, i'd say mount it on the wall as a reminder of good fortune for those days when it seems someone upstairs is getting a good laugh at our expense. :drinkup

JDOFMEMI

Good job!

I will say that you must have gotten one heck of a good deal on the tires, plus made a darn good rate, to pay for 10 tires in 30 hours work.

7 lowboy tires (I already had one new one from road service:() set me back almost $3,000, and they are just little 17.5's.

pafarmer

Occupation
It was an emergency job for one of the big Natural Gas Companies that are everywhere right in the middle of where in live ... I happen to have a very large stock pile of shot rock from my Quarry that they had an immediate need for. They were more than happy with my willingness to not stop until they had everything they needed for Monday morning. I saved their bacon according to the big man writing the checks and move a few ton of rocks for them.....

Last edited:

pafarmer

Occupation
Good thing you checked yur messages.
I'm pretty good at listening to them, not so good at returning some of them. The buddies that need things for free all the time. As it turns out the same man that hired me for this job is the same guy i pulled out of a ditch in the middle of the night in the only snowstrom we had all winter , just happen to see lights in a funny position from about 1000 yard away on my property so naturally after an hour or so and still there i when over to check it out and he was struck in a ditch with a 40 foot or so 5th wheel hooked to his Ford F250. He slid backwards all the way down the hill from the top into the a huge washed out ditch. I went , got my dozer out, warmed it up and drove it over there and pulled him out and sent him on his way. He offered cash to me and i told him that is not how we work out here in the countryside of Pa. , we help people that need help regardless. He or I, didn' know it at the time he hired me but found out as i was delivering load after load of stone. It pays to be kind , I get more back than i give...I am now on the preffered supplier listing for this particular company I found out yesterday afternoon with a presonal visit from companies supplier approval person.

Last edited:

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
As it turns out the same man that hired me for this job is the same guy i pulled out of a ditch in the middle of the night in the only snowstrom we had all winter

Getting the tires paid for so quickly could've been just good luck, but now, knowing the rest of the story, that is karma... :thumbsup

pafarmer

Occupation
Getting the tires paid for so quickly could've been just good luck, but now, knowing the rest of the story, that is karma... :thumbsup

I didn't want to bore everyone with the details but I often have this happen to me, more times than I care to mention. It has to be more than good fortune........maybe not .....who knows but its GOOD KARMA for sure.

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
.59 profit reminds me of a log truck story;

Fellow owning a dozen log trucks keeps going into the hardware store and buys a dozen axes everyday, after a few weeks, the owner asks him just what is he doing with them? Mr. log truck owner says he is selling them for $5.00 each. The hardware store owner says how can you make any money, I am selling them to you for $6.00 each and you are losing money every day. Mr. log truck says I know, but this is an easier way to go broke than owning log trucks......

Same probably applies for gravel hacks...

pafarmer

Occupation
Thank you for your help on that tireman. Your reply to an earlier Tire thread helped me to decide on the full wrap of Michelin rubber.

tireman

You're very welcome.Glad I could help.I gather from reading your posts that you'll maintain them properly and be more than happy with the long life they'll provide.No reason you shouldn't be able to cap them at the very least two times.That's where your cost - per- mile really drops.One thing to keep in mind, don't run more air pressure than you need to carry the loads you're hauling.Dramatically shortens a casings life span.Here's a link to Michelin's load tables.I strongly suggest following it.
http://www.michelintruck.com/michelintruck/tires-retreads/tireInfo.do?tread=XDY3

pafarmer

Occupation
You're very welcome.Glad I could help.I gather from reading your posts that you'll maintain them properly and be more than happy with the long life they'll provide.No reason you shouldn't be able to cap them at the very least two times.That's where your cost - per- mile really drops.One thing to keep in mind, don't run more air pressure than you need to carry the loads you're hauling.Dramatically shortens a casings life span.Here's a link to Michelin's load tables.I strongly suggest following it.
http://www.michelintruck.com/michelintruck/tires-retreads/tireInfo.do?tread=XDY3

Thank You again my all knowing and seeing tire god !!! You have my Word, I indeed will follow to the letter and crack a little smile for tireman each time. I don't think I will ever be that fotunate on tires buying again. Michelin makes a great product and stands behind it with a ton of technical data and specifications. How about that rethread process. Some pretty savvy folks there at Michelin. My truck felt like it was brand new again on the ride. I've said it before and I shall say it again "There is nothing like a set of new rubber of your car/truck/Dump for that matter".....

forestroad

I suspect your karma will continue to repay you for some time to come. I understand that the oil and gas guys tend to be quite the good ol boy network that can be hard to crack. I'm sure you are well aware of the size and scope of the "Marcellus". As you are now on the list I can assure you that these good ol boys take good care of their own.
Be prepared for a lot more long days and weekends, possibly working outside of your normal area and discussing billing issues with pretty girls named Luanne from Houston.

Next trip to the tire store may be for 30 or 40 new Michelin's, after which you may find yourself driving home wondering how your gonna feed your banker instead.

Dualie

I have to buy 4 new tires for rear of my pickup and im dreading it. Im not a terribly religious person but someone who is once told me "god will give you enough to survive. Not thrive but survive" in this recession i have come to believe that. Thriving is all about your hustle.

Wolf

Thriving is all about your hustle. But there is no question that in this area (Bay Area) things are so much worse economically than the rest of the country. I know, the Bay Area is in huge denial about it. Go to other parts of the country, New York metro area, for example, and things aren't as rough as they are in northern California for sure.

What do you think. Hustle, that sure helps too.