• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dump Truck Accident

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
safety is something that you never joke about or take for granted. Thats why safety devices were invented.

Scrub Puller

Yair...I agree with all the comments but what exactly happened?

Steve mentioned that the hoist was in working order and they raised it to release the body.

It seems there was no catastrophic failure...blown hose, broken fitting or what all. It sounds a bit odd to me.

Tiny

Scrub , I have worked around some dump equipment . No hydraulic lock valves because the hoists are powered up and gravity down . Some of the old hoists had a limit cable to stop the bed from over extending the cylinder , If you bumped that cable in the least little bit it would drop like a rock .

In my opinion years ago dump beds should have been manufactured so the prop or blocks were kept with the truck .

Older trucks used linkage to operate the valves and bumping the linkage would bring the same results . Very dangerous deal, but most people never give it a second thought .

Jordon

Occupation
Student, Project Manager
This is why I love this website. I feel so stupid now for all the times I've raised the bucket on our machine to do something, but didn't put the safety arm down. Thankfully I can take the lesson from these stories and not from my own accident.

3rdGenDslWrench

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Field Mechanic/ Truck Mechanic/Aut
Where I used to work we had a fleet of about 15 DM and R model mack dump trucks. It was mandatory that no matter what you had to do if the bed was to be lifted it had to rest on something so that it could not creep/fall down. So if it was a quick repair we had 2 stands made up to go from the floor to the front of the bed on each side of the bed. We were fortunate enough at our shop to have and in ground hydraulic cylinder lift. If it was going to be elevated for a length of time like for a transmission or a rear we would weld 1" thick block wedges to the dump frame on each side. And even at that we threw wood blocks in there for a "just in case".

oriden

Occupation
Equipment operator/ truck driver/ wrench operator/
id like to remind people on the subject of trucks and their bodies. when changing tires and more directly when filling the tires with air a cage should be used, in the event of a blow up weather its mounted on the truck not countless people have died from exploding tires, close call in the shop today just wanted to mention that.

also when jacking truck up always use stands never work off a jack and make sure thoes WHEELS ARE BLOCKED!

Last edited:

JD955SC

Older trucks used linkage to operate the valves and bumping the linkage would bring the same results . Very dangerous deal, but most people never give it a second thought .

A few months ago in my area a guy did just that while working under a completely unsupported bed. With perdictable results. Unfortunately it was his father who found him and tried to lift the bed off of him with a Bobcat.

People always want to use shortcuts or act cool and work without safety gear or think they are "too good" in skill so they don't have to follow safety procedures...and then they die. Or are permanently maimed.

icestationzebra

A guy died in the Milwaukee area early last winter. He was plowing snow with an old payloader that had no ROPS or functional brakes. He backed up towards his house to take another push of snow, but ended up trapping himself between the loader and the eve of his house.

Not even a week later another guy gets caught up in a salt spreader on the back of a snow plow. Bled to death.

Then someone got pinned in a skid steer. He was working under the arms and didn't have the cylinder lock in place. Died at the scene.

On our farm my uncle got his foot caught between the lift arm and frame of a skid loader, which was old enough that it didn't have a lockout system. I had 3 separate incidences where I could easily have been killed. Some days I am just grateful that the only permanent damage that my dad and I got before he sold out is some hearing loss.

ISZ

Last edited:

spanner

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Fitter
In our workshop we use builders Acrow Props when working under bodies and buckets. These are extremely portable, adjustable and rated with a safe working load. Some body builders are making bodies with tip up props that hold the body up about three feet . I shudder when i see people under bodies at full height with these short props up. If that thing comes down,who knows.