• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dump trailers

cat320

Charter Member
How many of you guys use dump trailers? If so what kind and what GVW .Do you have a bobcat one or just a regular deck over.

ahrdscape

Occupation
Concrete / Hardscape Contractor
I am in the market for a dump trailer and I'm not even looking at any thing less than 12,000#GVW.

EZ-dumper's 14' 12,000#GVW model is around 4000 unloaded.
Which in turn gives it around a 8000# payload capacity.

Your average skid steer weight is between 6000#-7500# depending on how big of a model you have. So that gives you a little extra for tools/attachments ect. ect.

I am definetley going with the 14,000# option that EZ-dumper offers. I'd rather be safe than sorry. This way i'm very comfortable as far as what size machine I can purchace.

Just keep in mind, EZ dumper is also wider at 6'8" compared to other models which are at 6'.

I'm still shopping but, EZ-dumper has a slight edge over CAM superline. I'll post my results.

badranman

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner Cutting Edge Construction Limited
ahrdscape, That is the exact model I am considering, the 14 000 # option one. It appears pretty stout, can haul my machines, has dual cylinders and brakes on both axles. This is a low profile trailer. Anybody use one of these? They have a 10 guage floor and sides option and I was wondering if it was worth the extra $$$, although I don't know how much that is.

nobull1

Charter Member
Occupation
Same as interests
My one ton Duramax would not legally be able to haul that 14,000 lb trailer at loaded capacity,assuming my truck is empty. The gcw for my truck is 22,000 lbs and I weigh 9500 empty.My tires are e's 10 ply and still not enough if over weight and I have 4 in the back. A loaded trailer that size would also put 1500-2000 tongue weight on your truck. I would make sure your truck has the capacity to haul before you buy. Just because you can doesn't mean it's legal. A month or so ago I was at the scales and they were looking hard to find fault with my truck but after 15 mins could find none :bouncegri .Then just after that I was stopped about a mile from my house on a road side check but not hasseled due to farm plates. These guy's were there for 5 hours and had vehicles off the road all over the place. Nothing would be worse than to get a $500.00 or more fine and find you have to sell your trailer as you now have a black flag with the dot. Some of them guy's and women have bad attitudes and long memories. Just something to think about

Nac

Occupation
Construction
Nobull1 A 2500HD is not 9500 empty the total GVW is 9200 loaded it weighs arouns 6000 empty. It can pull a 12,000 GVW trailer bumper pull

nobull1

Charter Member
Occupation
Same as interests
Nac said:
Nobull1 A 2500HD is not 9500 empty the total GVW is 9200 loaded it weighs arouns 6000 empty. It can pull a 12,000 GVW trailer bumper pull

My 2002 K3600 Duramax has a gvw of 12,000 which means that the truck with all equipment and tongue weight of trailer cannot exceed that amount. This means that unless the tongue weight of the trailer is more than 2500 lbs I can tow it legally. The problem is gcw gross combination weight which is the weight of the trailer, truck and everything else. My truck which is the heaviest duty GM in the light duty class has a gcw of 22,000 so 9500 plus 14,000 which is the trailer I was talking about, would add up to 23,500 lbs. GM recommends no more than 12,000 trailer weight for both the 2500hd and 35-3600 hd and to carry this much you have to have weight distributing hitch. The benefit of the single wheel 2500hd, if you want to call it a benefit is it weighs less than the dually so it can carry more payload to get to 22,000 lbs :rolleyes: but they both are only rated for a 12,000 trailer. the reason I asked about what type of pull was if it was 5th wheel you jump up to 15,000 plus, for capacity. So yes you are correct you can pull a 12,000lb trailer legally so long as you have the weight distributing hitch properly adjusted and not a lot of load in the truck. What I have found is the weighers like to weigh each axle and see what it weighs then check tires to see what load rating. A single wheel truck with 10 ply tires is rated for approx. 5600 lbs total. So if you don't have your weight adjusted properly you could be overweight with out being to your gvw or gcw. This is why you see all the semi's stopped before the scale sliding their axles. By the way the first thing they like to look at is the sticker on the inside of the door or glove box. This sticker has gcw,gvw axle ratings and tire size and ply and other things. If you don't have one it is all but impossible to get one. If they fine you and go to court this is what they use against you. If there is not a sticker to be found....... the court case gets "a little harder" to prove ;) No ticky no laundry :slomo out the door. If always at max capacity this might be something to remember. If a lot overweight forget it your busted anyways.

nobull1

Charter Member
Occupation
Same as interests
badranman said:
Actually Cat 320 that isn't what I was talking about, this is. I got a quote on the Bigcat last year--$16 000. :eek2

I talked to a couple of guys in demolition over the years and they swear by them. They are getting real popular around here the last few years. Too bad they didn't come goose neck would make it a lot easier backing in and around job sites. I know a guy with a truck like mine that has a hidden receiver under his dump body for his livestock trailer. Now that is cool :)

ahrdscape

Occupation
Concrete / Hardscape Contractor
cat320,
They discontinued "The Big Cat" they said it was too ugly.
I have a quote for the 14,000# 14 footer with the side extensions for $8785 out the door.
12,000# with the sides $7885 out the door.
14,000# option $900.00

Nac

Occupation
Construction
I have a Bri-mar 14' Dump trailer it is 80" wide 12,000GVW I love it the only problem is it is heavy about 3,600 pounds empty if it was a regular equipment trailer would only be about 2,000 pounds.

cat320

Charter Member
It looks like tomaster has redesighned there dump trailer from the looks of there web page .

My dream dump trailer would be:
1. fit a skidsteer width and lenght and be able to chain it down with high sides.
2 Be low loading hight and steep dump angle.
3. Have a combo barn and dump doors.
4. have an adjustable hitch
5. be well built but light(if that is possable )lol
6.Led lights
7. Heave 12k lb jack
And probaly more but that is a start OH yeah a cheap price under $5K

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
We have a 14' Walton dump trailer with 4 foot "high" sides. It is rated for 12K which gives us about 8,000 in payload. It's an awesome trailer. It has a Rugby hoist rated for 14K I believe, which is nice to have a hoist rated for more than you can haul. It's loaded to the max with all the good stuff. We have ramps to load our Cat 216 but we found that the load angle is just crazy steep. Longer ramps would be nice but we have so many freaking trailers that loading our skid in there wasn't a large priority, we bought it to haul material, not equipment, but it's good to know that we COULD get a piece back to the shop if we had to use it. It has a 12K pound jack, LED lighting, adjustable 2 5/16 hitch, toolbox that houses the hydraulic pump and a deep cycle battery for auxiliary power to the pump. We're in the landscaping business but we've hauled quite a few loads of home construction debris and it works great for that. If I was in the dirt moving business, I would have bought a tandem axle dump truck, but we just don't haul that much dirt, just mulch and lighter materials, our topsoil is delivered at the cost of the customer. :bouncegri