• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dump Hoist Leaking

chips2002

I recently bought a dump truck with a telescoping hoist. It was running fine until one day the hoist started to leak hydraulic oil. I am not sure where the leak is coming from but it seems like one of the seals is bad on the packing nut.

I want to try and repair this myself. What would be the best way to change the seal? Do I have to disconnect the hoist from the dump body and lower the hoist while the body is in the raised position? I would appreciate any suggestions. Also, where could I get these parts?

cat320

Charter Member
Well I have never repacked one of those just one of my backhoe boom pistons as easy it is seams they are still hard to do if you have never done it before. I would recomend a profetional hydraulic co as they could check it out for scores and other stuff.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
WQelcome to HeavyEquipmentForums.com chips2002!!:drinkup

A friend of mine has a small construction company, about 5 triaxle dumps and a half dozen or so pieces of heavy equipment. While he does nearly all of his own repairs, one thing he doesn't attempt is to repair hydraulic cylinders. He either sends them out or exchanges them. To me this would indicate it's a pretty tough job, and I believe special tools are required but I'm not sure. I've never attempted on myself.

I can tell you however the cylinder will need to be removed to make the repair.

chips2002

Dump Hoist Leak

Thanks for your replies.

I was looking through the internet and found instructions on replacing the seals.

http://www.customhoists.com/technical_service/instructions/instr1/instr1.htm

It doesn't seem too bad once the cylinder is taken out. But maybe this job is for a professional. I guess I will have to look around for shop that does this kind of work.

How much do you guys think this kind of repair is going to cost? Any ideas?

zrtman

Milton Cat just repacked my stick cylinder for $740 including seals. Its a huge 1800lb cylinder off a 235c excavator. About $500 labor. Well worth to me. Didnt need hard parts - that would be extra. They did do a light hone/polish.

I'm not afraid to tackle some things myself - but the bigger cylinders are best left to a pro.