• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dumbest thing I have heard of yet

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
One winter I had a cicken farmer ask me to build him a shavings bucket to load his shavings into his spreader truck. I asked to have him bring the loader in to let me get al lthe geometr and measures right. I told him it would be tied up 8 hrs max. e refused so I made the bucket to fit on my little Case When I delevered it he complained that when it was all the way curled back it would come witing a 1/2 inc of his loader arm or cylinder.

Well his houses were pretty old and his loader had the cab clipped on it and all the safties off. Well iI get a call from his wife that Im getting the medical bill. He had leaned out and was using is hand as a feeler gauge moving it back till he felt it. At which he hit the curl pedal and smashed his hand. I didnt have to pay for it long story short but I pick more of my customers now. This is the same farmer that was greasing his loader and ad the boom raised to greas the lock pins on the QT. They werent taking grease so he took a broom stick and hit one lever back to slide the pin to grease.

When he did it again v the bucket was tilted down a bit and as he was under it with the broom stick he pounded it back and it dropped a light bucket on him.

I also know of a man that had an 1835 Case that he was moving with the arms up easing it backward by holding the handles with the bar down. He was backing it into his shop like this when it hit the lip of the shops apron and te back wheels of the loader eased up it pushed the controls to him. It caused the machine to run backwards faster than he could walk. when it get too far he didnt let go and his hands then pulled the levers forward. It ran far enough forward to knock him over and he never let go of the handled till the belly pan was over his feet then he dropped the controls. e was pinned till his wife got ome.

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
There was a logger here that used a skid steer to load with.They had risers on them to keep the logs from rolling over top into the operator.Bought a new one.Before the risers were put on he wanted to try it out.The last time he loaded logs.One went over and killed him.

oldtanker

Occupation
Ret
There was a logger here that used a skid steer to load with.They had risers on them to keep the logs from rolling over top into the operator.Bought a new one.Before the risers were put on he wanted to try it out.The last time he loaded logs.One went over and killed him.

Guy over by Underwood Mn did that a few years back with a JD tractor, no cab, loader with a large bucket and a round bale. A witness saw the bale roll down the loader arms and right over the guy. He will not do that again....it killed him. On another note....my (at the time 16 year old) son and I were helping a friend chop hay. Across the road antoher farmer was picking up round bales with both the loader and a fork on the 3 point. Then he was running across the field in road gear bouncing around with 2 bales on and the loader way up in the air. When we stopped for lunch my son (who didn't know much about any kind of machien at the time told me "dad that guy is stupid" and told me what he was doing. No one got hurt but I was pretty happy that a 16 yo boy could see that the guy was nuts. Steve and I went down and watched this clown. He told me it wasn't worth the time to try and tell the guy anything "he treats all of his equipment that way".

Rick

oldtanker

Occupation
Ret
Dumbccident...

I have had a couple my self but nothing like whats posted above.

LOL I could write a book on just what one of my brother in laws has done. Really hard to believe he's still alive, much less able to continue farming. He's so bad that his kids give him rubber knives for Christmas every year! He has stabbed himself through his hand more than once, almost gotten a 5 bottom plowed dropped on his head, been trapped in the clamshell of a round baler, crushed his hand with a skid steer, broken both thumbs while driving nails and been sucked into a 1000 RPM PTO shaft (shirt ripped and he was only knocked cold). And I was in the Army from 74 to 96 so who knows what I missed through they years! He is a great guy but he could be a poster child for safety!

Rick

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
So I get a call tonight from a friend and coworker of mine with a story.

He had his neighbor helping him build a fence. This neighbor is a FORMER employee. Not the sharpest tool in the drawer, hence the former status.

Dull neighbor gets in the Cat 287 and uses it to stretch the fence. He gets out, fastens the fence, cuts it, and gets back in the Cat. This is where I get a little lost. He calls my friend for help, saying he "smashed his foot with the bucket of the skid steer". Now keep in mind he is working alone, when he had been told by my friend to wait until he got there to help. My friend tells him "There is no way you can smash your own foot with the skid steer by yourself". That would be my first reaction as well, but no, we were both wrong. Seems he crawled most of the way into the cab, sat partially on the seat with his feet sticking OUT of the front of the cab (a position I could not get into even if I tried), lowered the lap bar, unlocked the hydraulics, (all the safeties WORK on the machine) and proceeded to lower the boom until he smashed his feet.:pointhead Oh, I forgot to mention, doing this was easier because of the fact he got out of the machine, and then back into it while the boom was raised in the air, another no-no.

So now the neighbor has a smashed, possibly broken foot, and I guess is somewhat lucky that is all.

My question is how in the world a grown man can be so dumb?????:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead There are 3 seperate safties to make sure you can't operate this machine unless you are sitting in the seat, and to intentionally get past all of these then lower the boom onto yourself takes a special kind of stupid.
I have rarely been happier that someone no longer worked for me. He could have done that or worse on the job, but instead did it at a friend and neighbors house.

Tyler d4c

This exact think happens quite offen either legs get it or about mid back when someone reached our to pick something up.
These skid loader are cute little toys arbt they......
If they where thought up today no one could afford the insurance to manufacture them.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
No injuries but I had an interesting tie with I think the first skid-steer I ever worked on.
Forget the model number but it was back when they used V-4 Wisconsin motors and the drives were mechanical clutches, not the hydrostat like today. Not even sure if it had a seat belt!

We were doing some major work on this one and had the bucket ROPS and lift arms off it. Needed to clean it up good so I drove it down to where the steam cleaner was set up. I managed to get it washed off and was coming back to the shop with it. I believed I stopped to let a customers truck go by and then I pushed the drive levers forward. Did that a bit too much and with no bucket or weight from the arms it popped a wheelie. Of course that tossed me back hard in the seat which caused me to pull back on the drive levers. I'm sure you can imagine the next couple steps!

Fortunately I did have the presence of mind to let go of the control levers and just brace myself in the seat and let things settle down. Then I cut the throttle to idle and slowly drove it the last bit into the shop!

Truck Shop

About five years ago maybe longer, I was cruising along hwy 12 4 lane near Pasco/Snake River.
I was driving my pickup passing a semi, I look over to the right at it because something just
wasn't right. It had a low pro fifth wheel-the pin wasn't in the jaws it was caught in the rear
cross support for the slider. As I passed driver was on the phone just'a yaky pooing at 60 mph.
I did manage to get his attention. He acted as though this happens all the time-no big deal.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
I knew a farmer who owned a big spread over a wide area, that he ran by himself with just occasional help, including his wife. His wife went to the city for a week, and he was on his own all that time.
He drove across the highway to another property he owned, where he kept one of his trucks in a shed. The truck had a tipping tray, and he usually fitted bolt-on sides to it, to haul grain.
The sides were off the truck, and he went to the shed specifically to fit them, using a torque-converter drive Chamberlain tractor, fitted with a front end loader.
He hooked chains to the top of the bucket and to the truck sides and lifted them into position - then he backed the tractor away, and got off the tractor without pulling on the handbrake - and left it idling in 1st gear.
It was not moving at this point. He stepped in front of the tractor (which still had the bucket raised to a little over waist height), and proceeded to bolt up the truck sides - with his back to the tractor.
While he was doing this, the tractor crept forward (in gear, at idle still) - and the bucket hit him in the back, and pinned him to the side of the truck.
No-one knew he was there, and no-one lived or worked within earshot. His wife came home a week later, and went looking for him. She found his carcass still pinned to the truck, and the tractor still idling in gear.
They reckoned he had scratched and dug holes like a rabbit with his feet, in a desperate attempt to free himself - but the pressure from the Chamberlain tractor FEL was relentless.
What a horrible way to die, and all because of a casual attitude towards tractor and machine safety.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I knew a farmer who owned a big spread over a wide area, that he ran by himself with just occasional help, including his wife. His wife went to the city for a week, and he was on his own all that time.
He drove across the highway to another property he owned, where he kept one of his trucks in a shed. The truck had a tipping tray, and he usually fitted bolt-on sides to it, to haul grain.
The sides were off the truck, and he went to the shed specifically to fit them, using a torque-converter drive Chamberlain tractor, fitted with a front end loader.
He hooked chains to the top of the bucket and to the truck sides and lifted them into position - then he backed the tractor away, and got off the tractor without pulling on the handbrake - and left it idling in 1st gear.
It was not moving at this point. He stepped in front of the tractor (which still had the bucket raised to a little over waist height), and proceeded to bolt up the truck sides - with his back to the tractor.
While he was doing this, the tractor crept forward (in gear, at idle still) - and the bucket hit him in the back, and pinned him to the side of the truck.
No-one knew he was there, and no-one lived or worked within earshot. His wife came home a week later, and went looking for him. She found his carcass still pinned to the truck, and the tractor still idling in gear.
They reckoned he had scratched and dug holes like a rabbit with his feet, in a desperate attempt to free himself - but the pressure from the Chamberlain tractor FEL was relentless.
What a horrible way to die, and all because of a casual attitude towards tractor and machine safety.
Heard about a fella who was doing some suspension work on a truck, alone, and managed to pin a finger between some blocking and the truck frame. Couldn't reach the jack to bring it back up and ended up having to remove his own digit to get free. I'd hate to be in that situation.

Old Doug

I know a guy that was putting the floor board back in his skid steer while it was running . It didnt have any safeties it pinned him between the arms and front of the skipsteer he lived but was messed up. The amish started getting skid steers . One of them tryed to move a teem that was pulling a disc while driving his skid steer. Something happen to the horses and he didnt let go of the rains it drug him out of the seat hurt him bad.

Truck Shop

Broken motor mounts.

The owner of a shop I worked for had both his legs a pelvis broken, this happened in the late 60's.
He was leaning over the front of a Ford Galaxy and snapped the throttle, engine jumped because
of broken motor mounts forcing the shift linkage. Pinned him against the bench.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
An old fella I worked for was showing a newbe around a hay baler, the type with it own engine. He was doing this with the engine idling and clutch engaged. He said to the newbe, don't ever put your finger in this hole with the engine running and gave him a practical demonstration. Lost a digit in the process. Kinda blew me away, thought bosses were smarter than that. Handed in my notice a few days later.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Way back in the 60's, when I first left school, and went into the contracting business with the brother, we initially lived in a rented farmhouse in the wheatbelt. The farmer had recently bought out a neighbouring farm, and he told us the episode of events that enabled him to acquire that farm.
The neighbouring farmer was running a hay baler pulled by a McCormick-Deering-International, I think it was an AW-6. He had his 10 yr old son helping him. The baler developed a fault, and the farmer got off to examine the baler innards to see what had caused the fault.
He needed to see the innards of the baler moving, so he got his 10 yr old son to sit in the tractor seat and engage and disengage the foot clutch, so the farmer could watched the baler innards working. The son engaged the clutch, the baler spun, and the farmer saw the problem.
He told his son to just hold the clutch down to stop the baler spinning, while he reached inside the baler to fix the problem. After about 5 minutes of trying to hold that strong old International clutch spring disengaged, the young fella's leg got tired, and he couldn't hold the clutch down any more, so he let it go.
The baler promptly started up, the farmer got dragged into it, and got decapitated on the spot. The young fella saw it all happen, and as a result, he suffered such major shock and trauma he became mentally unstable, and had to be placed in a mental institution.
The widow had no-one to run the farm, so she sold it cheap, just so she could get away from the scene of family devastation.
Just shows what can happen when you ignore that big message in the front of virtually every manual - "Do not try to adjust or repair any machinery while it is motion" (or while it can be put into motion).

Truck Shop

When I worked automotive machine I worked with a guy named Frank who had gone to machinist
school in Boston IIRC. The school supported it's self by turning material for ship yards. He told me
that he got to school early most days and one morning the police and coroner where there.
He happened to enter the work area through a side door, only to see a red stripe up the wall.
Seems the instructor forgot to remove his tie.