• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dug my first hole...

d6catd

:Cowboy howdy guys..i guess ill throw my two cents in i have run pretty much every backhoe out there and my favorite is the 420e. this is awesome it has the ride control like mentioned by someone so you feel absolutley nuthing while roden the machine and those pilot controls i wouldnt replace them for anything..as far a a backhoe being the hardest machine to run you guys are absolutley rite but when you know what your doing you can do almost anything and go almost anywhere..but im like you guys i like to switch things up and run two or three diff. pieces a day i mean think about it guys we have the best job in the world we get paid to play in the dirt for 10 or 12 hours a day i wouldnt trade it for anything in the world..as i like to say operators never grow up the toys and sandbox just get a whole lot bigger.:usa

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
The pilot controls are nice in open areas but I myself dont like them much at all. Ive run Cases, Cats, and a 310SJ w/TMC. Case has been the only pilot controls Ive liked.

I wouldnt trade the mechanical controls for anything, you dont get the same feel and response.

iceberg210

If you don't mind me asking what kind of crawler loader is on the far left hand side of the first picture?

Nice hole, backhoes are great machines jack of all trades master of none meaning you have to have pretty good talent to effectively operate them.

Smarty

I finaly found a spot on our property that I can dig a hole. We have mostly solid sandstone but in this one area it's deep sand.

bucket

good hole

Well today I actually dug my first hole with my dads backhoe. Iv been moving his stuff around for years, iv done stuff with the loader but not the hoe. The hole was 16x24 and around 4-5 deep for a water holding tank. My main problem was lining everything up to get the walls straight, other than that I was ok. I even like the 4 stick controls unlike some of you. Well here are some pics.

Oh and I just graduated high school and will be going to school to learn more about equipment and get my cdl.

Also we were only less than a mile from the shop so dad decided I should drive it back. Well I didnt realize how hard it is to keep that thing in the right lane. Dad followed me and he told me it looked like I was drunk driving it.

Lastly I will say that i gained alot of knowledge today and respect. It really isnt as easy as it looks. I would always say all you do is pull leavers all day how hard can it be, but now i know.
Nice job bud, looks like you hang of it. I'm sure your dad is proud of you. My seven year old likes to sit behind the wheel and i can tell it wont be to long before he is out there diggin holes on his own. Have fun and be safe.:)

NateV

Occupation
Excavating

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
4 stick Case. swing with your foot pedals. levers in order go:

Bucket Dipper Boom Extendahoe

Wobble stick are just 2 lever controls in backhoe or excavator pattern.

33horse

Occupation
Cable & Wire
Jump in the deep end

The best way to learn is to try. Back in my early 20s it seemed like no one would allow someone the chance to try their hand at a Backhoe, SO when someone invited me aboard, I jumped at the chance. Seemed like I was so uncoordinated, Now 35 years later I'll never forget my first attempt to dig a hole. Great memories. The only regret I've had with heavy equipment was nobody ever emphasized daily lubes. Now I spend most of my time repairing backhoes and farm equipment, I giveaway greaseguns to my customers with their bill.

D5G

I'm new to this forum;and it looks like a great forum,with a bunch of great people.Now,back to the topic I'm 14 but I remember when I was 9 someone put me on a backhoe and taught to operate it.That was the most amazing thing to me,now and then I still get the chance to run a backhoe or dozer but I have a lot of learning to do_One day I hope to be a full time operator after college.

danielm

Anyone want to bring their backhoe over and practice? :D

Hopefully, I'll be diggin' with a backhoe in the near future.

Amen to the daily greasing.

dirtslinger

Looks a lot better than the first trench I dug with a backhoe. 4' deep and about 300 feet long. Needed to merge it with an existing trench and the person who learned me up forgot to teach me the whole "trench straddling" technique. Needless to say 4 hours, 35 gray hairs, and a bucket full of swear words and laughs I managed to get myself out of the trench and gained a massive amount of knowledge. Now I really wish I had pics of it.
Just like sex...as much as you want to forget your first hole, you really never can.