• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

duetz 1011 timing belt tension

mpirate

Hi guys. I've got a stupid question for any of you. I have a bobcat 863 that sheared the teeth off of the timing belt. I bought all of the necessary parts and tools (pushrods as well) and am replacing them. The tension gauge that I bought (draf industries), either isn't calibrated properly, is damaged or inaccurate, or, I'm just not using it correctly. When I tighten the belt, the best that I can get the gauge to read is 40lbs, which is way too low on the gauge, while the belt itself is VERY tight.
Too tight, in my opinion. I have replaced quite a few timing belts in my day, just never on this engine or machine. Here is my stupid question: Can I just tighten the belt to what I determine is fairly tight by hand, or is the exact tension in ft/lbs absolutely required? I'd rather not shell out another $100 for a gauge that might be correct this time. Thanks!!

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Do you have the eccentric idler bearing used for tension. If so, I will get the specs I have available when I get to the shop. Yes, tension is critical, you can't have that rascal jump around. You have the timing pins in the cam and crank, correct?

mpirate

yes, I have the eccentric idler bearing used for tension and I have the timing pins installed in the cam and crank. Everything seems correct, I'm just not sure about tightening the belt without a gauge. As I said, I think my new gauge is faulty, as I can tighten the belt really tight but the gauge indicates loose. I can tighten the belt to where there is absolutely no movement, (like a guitar string) but I feel that may cause premature failure of the oil pump shaft. Too loose and you have it jumping around as you said.. Thanks for the input!

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
Tension is critical, and if you don't get it right you'll be doing the job over again along with any issues it caused.

Looked up the "Draf" tensioner, and looks like a knockoff of the OTC tool that the trucks all rebrand (mine says MAC on the box, OTC on the tool). Your tool could just have the sticker lined up wrong, but no real way to know.

I'd return the Draf and buy the real deal; Theres currently an OTC 6673 on ebay for around $100 or best offer, I'd buy that now before even returning your tool.

mpirate

Thanks MarshallPowerGen. I appreciate the input. I tried repositioning the tension meter in several places and I finally got it in a position where it appeared that the reading was correct, or close to it. The gauge looks to be fairly cheaply made, not something that I would keep using if I had to do this often. I did however complete the installation and it seems to run very well. Thanks to everyone who helped out!.

tractormech

yes, I have the eccentric idler bearing used for tension and I have the timing pins installed in the cam and crank. Everything seems correct, I'm just not sure about tightening the belt without a gauge. As I said, I think my new gauge is faulty, as I can tighten the belt really tight but the gauge indicates loose. I can tighten the belt to where there is absolutely no movement, (like a guitar string) but I feel that may cause premature failure of the oil pump shaft. Too loose and you have it jumping around as you said.. Thanks for the input!
You are absolutely correct- Don't get the belt too tight as it will burn the oil pump bushing out in a hurry.