• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dual Slope laser suggestions

ARPlante

Occupation
Owner, secretary, estimator, mechanic, janitor
Hi All,

I'm in the market for a dual slope laser and have come across a few choices: Topcon RL- 1002S
Topcon RL-H2SA
ProShot AS2/ Magnum
Leica Rugby 400DG
CST Berger LMH600

I was wondering what peoples' opinions/actual observations are on the above models and if there is another brand/model I should be looking at?

My major purchase criteria are:
Self- leveling
1000' + range
Good slope % operating range
Accuracy
Ease of use
Durability
Compatibilty with machine control systems
Best "bang for the buck"

As much as I would like to have a Topcon unit, my bank account really likes the looks of the ProShot AS2 Magnum alot better.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Andrew

Last edited:

DPete

I have had a Topcon RL-H2SA for 2 years. No problems as of yet, the rechargeable battery pack has good life. It is easy to program and has a good set up sight on the top for allignment of the transmitter. Mine came with a beeper and an aluminium grade rod. I have had good luck with Spectra Precision or Trimble laser equipment also. No experience with the others mentioned. Laser equipment is an important part of finish work and can hold up a job if it goes down. I try to buy what can be serviced in my area, as well as get a loaner if needed. Good luck

diversified man

Occupation
CEO
the ruby 400 dg is the best one i have 4 of them but when you by it make sure you get the complete package with the hoe attachment and the grade stick for the dozer i think i paid 6900 for the package but leica did a great job with it

Kgmz

Occupation
General Contractor
I just went through this last year when I had to wait for parts for our old Spectra Precision L600. The shop loaned me a Leica Rugby 100LR to use while I decided if I wanted to buy another laser or wait for mine.

I ended up buying a CST Berger LM800 dual slope and verticle plumb beam laser after looking long and hard at what was out there and how they compared in specs and cost.

Read my post about this laser below.
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=1061

The main reason I bought the CST is it was a lot cheaper than the other lasers and had the same specifications as the others.

Now I would recommend that you get a LM800 over the LMH600. Why?

The LM800 has a 1/16" compared to the LMH600's 3/32" accuracy at 100'.

The LM800 has a 2800' range compared to the LMH600's 2000' range.

Otherwise they are comparable with the verticle plumb beam, same 635nm laser diode, same up to 10% slope, same rechargeable battery.

But I only paid $1012 for my LM800 PKG last year which included the V-Mount, Remote, 2 Targets and Case, LD400 Detector, Aluminum Tripod, and Rod. The place I bought it from is now selling the PKG for $978. One heck of a deal when you consider the others are selling just the lasers for $1500 to $3000 with the same specs.

Engineers Supply is where I bought the laser.
http://www.engineersupply.com/cst-berger-lasermark-electronic-self-leveling-dual-slope-rotary-laser-complete-package-57-lm800pkg.aspx

If you don't need all the extra goodies they sell just the laser, detector, remote, and case for $778.

It has all the same specs as the Leica Rugby 400DG, except for a couple. The LM800 has a range of 2800', the Leica's is 2500'. And the LM800 can only go up to a 10% slope, while the Leica can do up to a 15% slope in dual mode and up to a 25% slope in single slope mode. So if you don't really need the extra slope capability the CST will cost you 4 times less, as the Leica sell for around $3500.

ARPlante

Occupation
Thanks for the responses.
Kgmz- I read your previous post about the CST unit but I am concerned about a couple things after looking at it online.
1.) Is the unit truly a dual slope unit like the Topcon and Leica units? Or do you have to manually make it a dual slope unit with some compound grade attachment like the ProShot lasers?
2.) How hard is it to set the grades without a digital screen indicating the grades on your X and Y axes?

Thanks, Andrew

Cletus

Occupation
Operator of Older Equipment, Old Equipment Operato
Check out the Spectra Precision GL422 with Storm reciever. I love mine. I paid $2700.00 With legs and no rod.

ARPlante

Occupation
Thanks- I'll check out the dealer by me.