• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

DT466E rebuild interval/General views on IH 4900

vtcntrctr

For the first time I'm looking at buying a truck for myself. The truck will be used for a very specific application, and very very few used trucks (this is the only one i've found anywhere in the last 6 months of looking. I expect to run the truck about 200-300 miles servicing regular contracts, due to the specialized nature of the truck I can't afford to by a new backup, nor are there available used trucks. . . so this truck will need to be virtually downtime free. I hope to grow and be purchasing another truck (new body, probably used chassis) in 12-24 months.

Here's the info on the chassis

1999 IH 4900
DT466E - 7 speed IH(spicer) Tran.
Rated for 53,000 with a 20,000 pusher axle
284,000 miles, 13844 hours

The truck seem to be in pretty good shape. It runs and drives as it should. My uninformed notion is that these trucks are pretty common and parts(or used parts) should be fairly inexpensive. It appears to be a pretty simple setup that anybody can work on. Am I wrong on these?

The previous owner claims it has had an inframe "recently", but the dealer says more like 10 years ago when the truck had 168,*** on it. I'm concerned because that rebuild was after only 3ish years of service, and I'm coming right back up on the same miles it got out of the original engine. Should I expect that I'm only going to get like 40K out of the truck before it needs another $10K inframe? Should I plan on purchasing another chassis for this body sometime in the near future?

Thanks,

Ben