• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

DT-466+F-600=??? will it work?

Camarogenius

Okay, so the deal on the F-800 fell through. I've found an F-600 with a worn out 6.6. Same guy also has a low mileage DT-466 Electronic motor. He's offered me a package deal on the two.
Will it work, or am I all wet?

P Backus

Why not?

A 466 has more displacement than a 6.6 (I think it's about 7.6L).

I drove a DT466E in a 24' Penske truck most of the way across the country and it was fine. Not overpowered, but ought to do better than the 6.6L.

Paul

nevrenufhp

Just dont throw away the 6.6, someone may need parts off it. For the rest of it, should swap in decently. Shouldnt be too bad.

surfer-joe

Throw away the Ford deal. Just find a good International with a 466 already installed. Save yourself a lot of trouble and money in the long run.

nevrenufhp

Throw away the Ford deal. Just find a good International with a 466 already installed. Save yourself a lot of trouble and money in the long run.

Very true, that's the easiest way to get what you want. If you need to throw a 6.6 away, give it to me.

Camarogenius

Yeah, I've pretty much given up the 466 Idea. I have to take the deal on the ford. I'm getting the truck plus three trailers for 5 grand. I have to take it.
What I'm currently looking at, is finding another truck that runs good, and keeping the F-600 as a parts truck. At least for the sleeper. That sleeper will work on any F-series cab, so it's worth keeping.

Camarogenius

That's about the first out of a thousand that doesnt like IH.:beatsme
More for the rest of us I guess.
Well one thing to keep in mind, I'm a VERY large human being. I'm a little over 6'5" and almost 400# IH cabs don't have the leg room I want, or the head room I need. Even my Quad cab dodge is a little cramped.
My F-250 on the other hand, is only a single cab, an I fit in it fine. The F-700's and 800's have the same cab as my F-250.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
International is okay but the best medium duty would be a L-8000 or L-9000 Ford. The Louisville has a upright seating position like a truck should. International is the same.

A F-600 is a pretty light truck it with a heaviest gvw of 29,000lbs. A single axle with a 33 or 35,000lb gvw is a better truck.

If you are 6'5" and 400lbs you need a truck with a decent sized cab. I drove a 1700 International for awhile yes it was a little cramped. I'am only 5'9" and 170-180lbs so I guess I'am average size for a guy. The worst truck is the MR Mack good god my left leg would cramp up driving that truck.

The 466 International engine is one of the better medium duty engines out there. The 1700 International I drove was a gutless 360cid engine your foot never left the floor. Shifting the 6spd you only lifted your right foot for a second and slammed it to the floor again. :D

Floating the transmission was the quickest way of shifting it.

The other cornbinder I used to drive was a 2600 series it was okay but I prefered the Louisville.

What ever you do don't buy a Hino cabover you might get in but getting back out will be a problem :laugh

surfer-joe

First complaint on the size of the IH cab I've seen. I am also rather good sized and the newer IH cabs are quite adequate for me. Ford cabs are alright, but, sigh, they are Fords. Worst cab I ever drove was a Reo, then a Diamond Reo. Next worst was a Mack, but truck for truck, that Mack was the single worst POS I was ever in. The newer GMC cabs are nice, being almost exactly the same as the pickups. Seats could be better tho.

Duke

International is okay but the best medium duty would be a L-8000 or L-9000 Ford. The Louisville has a upright seating position like a truck should. International is the same.

A F-600 is a pretty light truck it with a heaviest gvw of 29,000lbs. A single axle with a 33 or 35,000lb gvw is a better truck.

If you are 6'5" and 400lbs you need a truck with a decent sized cab. I drove a 1700 International for awhile yes it was a little cramped. I'am only 5'9" and 170-180lbs so I guess I'am average size for a guy. The worst truck is the MR Mack good god my left leg would cramp up driving that truck.

The 466 International engine is one of the better medium duty engines out there. The 1700 International I drove was a gutless 360cid engine your foot never left the floor. Shifting the 6spd you only lifted your right foot for a second and slammed it to the floor again. :D

Floating the transmission was the quickest way of shifting it.

The other cornbinder I used to drive was a 2600 series it was okay but I prefered the Louisville.

What ever you do don't buy a Hino cabover you might get in but getting back out will be a problem :laugh

An L8000/L9000 isn't a "medium duty". Those are heavy duty class trucks not comparable to other mediums, especially an F-600, which is an old F-250/350 cab stuck on a light to medium duty chassis.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
The L-8000 single axle is a medium duty or we call them medium duty trucks the L-9000 single is a heavier medium duty.

Your single axle dump you have Duke is the same as a L-8000.