• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

drywall recycling

leadarrows

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner: Acme Farms LLC
tuney443 said:
I'll stand by my thoughts and I know I'm right.And right now I'm really pissed off because I was ready to do a house demo until some nosybody went in the basement and reported they saw some asbestos insulation on pipes.Now the job will get delayed for who knows how long,only to have some abatement contractor place a bubble around the house and have his men wearingthe cheap rubber band type mask remove about 5 lbs. of the stuff.And like I said-no offense there Grader--I've been to Canada twice and I do think it's beautiful--only way too over regulated.
Just for the record we only recycle new construction trimmings. Demo materials are not used because of the paint and other contaminates that go along with old material.

murray83

Occupation
jack of all trades....master of none
i wanted to ask can u sell the ground up material to a plant to use in the remanufacturing process?

leadarrows

Charter Member
Occupation
murray83 said:
i wanted to ask can u sell the ground up material to a plant to use in the re-manufacturing process?

Yes but in order to do so you would have to use a different system than I am using. To use it in the re-manufacturing programs you must strip the paper first. I priced paper striping systems 6 years ago when I first started researching the idea. 250 thousand for the strip-er and then you have to deal with the paper. That means a paper baler and a separate market. All told to prepare drywall for re-manufacture use your talking a minum 500 thousand to get started.
For use as a soil amendment you just grind it up paper and all. I spent $17,500.00 for a tub grinder. Now I would love to upgrade to a better system someday...finer material would open up my customer base but I'M just glad I can afford to get started.
Then there is the additional shipping costs associated with sending the material to a re manufacturing facility. Those cost would of course very according to access to shipping methods and distance to deliver.
I am able to sell my product to local farmers that come in there grain trucks so I have no shipping costs.

leadarrows

Charter Member
Occupation

jd1364

Occupation
Ranching, Retired
We use ground up sheet-rock to clear up muddy ponds. The finer its ground the faster it will clear the water.

KeppleServices

clear it up how? as in make it clean, or dry it up?

I am looking into this as a viable second source of income. I have access to a tub and horizontal grinder and means to ship the rock. This next week or so I will be doing a demo that will produce roughly 120 yards+ or rock.... Being a commercial demo job it will be almost 100% clean rock, as it is mounted on steel studs and they are separated for salvage.

skata

We use ground up sheet-rock to clear up muddy ponds. The finer its ground the faster it will clear the water.

local drywaller drops his scraps at a local farm. farmer puts it on the floor in his cow pens. it gets mixed with the cow manure, then he scoops it up and spreads it out in the fields.

jd1364

Occupation
Ranching, Retired
Kepple Services

Gypsum will clear a muddy pond in less than a week. It takes about 1500 to 2000lbs per acre. The finer the grind the better it works. The gypsum attaches itself to the suspended clay particles causing the clay particles to sink. We throw it out in the prop wash of a small boat. Will turn a pond almost white. I lived with a muddy pond for 10 years until I meet a gentleman on a job site that used it in his pond. He new the guy that had the recycling business.

leadarrows

Charter Member
Occupation
clear it up how? as in make it clean, or dry it up?

I am looking into this as a viable second source of income. I have access to a tub and horizontal grinder and means to ship the rock. This next week or so I will be doing a demo that will produce roughly 120 yards+ or rock.... Being a commercial demo job it will be almost 100% clean rock, as it is mounted on steel studs and they are separated for salvage.

You need to check with your state Environmental people before you do that.
In Indiana we are only allowed to use clean/new construction scraps for soil application. Demo drywall has paint and sometimes glue contaminates that are prohibited. Imagine demo drywall with lead paint. Fines would put most business out of business.

KeppleServices

True, I had not thought of the wall coverings that are applied to the rock... even with the new scrap, there is LOADS of it being produces here with all the new building going on. Still worth something to look into.

leadarrows

Charter Member
Occupation
True, I had not thought of the wall coverings that are applied to the rock... even with the new scrap, there is LOADS of it being produces here with all the new building going on. Still worth something to look into.

New scrap has never been applied to the wall will not have anything on it. You just need to keep the other debris separate.
I don't want to discourage you in any way. I am glad to hear anyone else is interested in doing this. It is not a get rich quick scheme but there is profit to be made. In my case we go in to the new homes and remove the scrap drywall so we profit from that and by not going to the land fill but by recycling the drywall instead we profit in saved dump fees and from selling the ground board to farmers as a soil amendment. Profit from both ends is how I make it work for me.
Recycling drywall keeps it out of our land fills and prevents the waste of a valuable resource that benefits agriculture as a whole and our soils in particular.

If we so happen to show some profits as well then. :cool2

TALLRICK

I have been recycling drywall and ceiling panels for quite some time, for personal use. The drywall I grind and bake to make plaster, for my old-fashioned plaster walls. The ceiling tiles I beat into a wet pulp, then created new concealed grid tiles for my home. Recycling also helped me make friends in the construction and supply businesses. I used demolition wood and wood scrap as the heat source for drying the gypsum and mineral fiber ceiling tiles. When I move and build a new home, I want to do this again. Ironically I never use drywall in anything I build!