• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

DrJim's Intro, by DrJim himself

DrJim

Occupation
General Dentist, including Implant Restorations
I know you're gonna ask, so I'll answer this first: I found HEF while Googling for tips on servicing my Bobcat's spool valves, and was blessed to find HEF and Atco's very well done documentation of the steps required.

I'm a dentist, practicing in Oak Ridge TN for some 30 years now. I've always had some enginneering inclination--Dad was an electrical enginneer who thought he knew most everything. From the time I was walking I was working with Dad, repairing the furnance at the church, "doing brakes" on the family's 1957 Pontiac (always in the gravel driveway, outside in the cold and dark), or trying to make some gadget work that wasn't designed good enough to work.

My excavation days started when I was 3 or 4. I had a metal Tonka high-lift (when did we start calling them "track loaders"?), and I made elaborate systems of roads in the gravel driveway. Only one problem: Dad would come home at quitting time and park the old '57 Pontiac (it was _lavender_, it you can imagine), and ruin my roads. I would throw a fit, and he would just shrug it off and say, "You can build 'em again tomorrow."

In my high school years, I got a job on highway construction--Pellissippi Parkway--working on grade work. After seeing a jack snap on a back dump and watching the truck flip over on its side, I quit begging for that job, and stuck to my job as a shovel operator--the "pine handle" kind, though really probably ash or hickory.

Other jobs included commercial construction, with a couple of summers working with Knoxville's Johnson & Galyon, a class act in the large commercial realm. That's when I had the chance to jump on a Bobcat, maybe an old 741 or equivalent. It took be only a few minutes to find out what happens when you raise the bucket, filled with gravel, up while the machine is situated nose-down onto a slope. It took me a little longer to learn how to "drop" the bucket to get the rear wheel out of the sky.

While in dental school at the University of Kentucky College of Dentistry, I worked as an "inspector" for a civil enginnering firm, overseeing gradework, utility and drainage culvert installation. When I questioned my boss, "I'm not sure I know enough. . ." he replied, "Well, you'll have to learn then, won't you?!"

Fast forward to 2002 or so. My son, whose first words were, "Eee--dirt!", was then 13 or 14. We were active with groups promoting a cleaner East Tennessee, and quickly found that volunteers with trash bags couldn't very well clean up the biggest piles of trash that had been dumped for years in the rural areas of our county. I got the idea that I would find a used skid-steer to buy and use in conjunction with our clubs' cleanup efforts. For months, we found nothing but machines to work on, not with. We finally got a tip from a friend in Corbin, KY, and went off in a near blizzard to the suburbs of Gildler, KY (try to find it), and found a new-new Bobcat 773 Turbo, 2001 model, with only 166 hours on it. Nothing to fix, just buy it and work.

Our friend in Corbin volunteered his trailer, and grapple bucket. I had never used a grapple bucket, and would not have thought to consider one. We brough the 773 and the grapple back to Tennessee and went to work cleaning up dump sites--for sport. ( I know what you're thinking--this guy ain't right. . . .) We organized "techincal" cleanups, requiring cables, snatch blocks, etc. to pull heavy equipment tires, refrigerators, even discarded boats up from the embankments where they had been dumped.

We found that dumps full of glass, or roofing materials full of nails, were most difficult to clean up. Jennifer Parks of Bobcat of Knoxville let us try a 4-in-1 bucket, and that turned out to be the trick for scraping up that kind of trash.

In late 2005, my wife and I bought the farm (no, we didn't die, we purchased a farm). We quickly found that the skid-steer with grapple and 4-in-1 is an extraordinarily versatile tool. (You would know it--the 50 acres turned out to have a 2 acre garbage dump from the 1940's, a major cleanup project for us. As they say, no good deed goes unpunished.) The farm required some major clearing. We hired an owner-operator with a Cat track loader and backhoe to do the heavy stuff. The Bobcat with grapple served as our log skidder--grab the end of a log and go (backwards).

Today, our fleet includes the 2001 773 Turbo (G series), grapple bucket, 4-in-1 bucket, tooth bucket, 36" trencher, Eliminator rake, Bobcat auger, and home-built hay spear for large round bales. We also have a John Deere 5425 65hp farm tractor, 5' Woods BrushBull, Woods BW180 batwing mower, and other attachements. (We had hay equipment but circumstances have caused us to recently sell of the hay equipment. Ditto for a speciality piece, a Wheatheart High & Heavy Hitter post-pounder w/ self-contained hydraulics and pilot auger--a cool piece but now somebody else's prize.) Invaluable for the farm and for our trash cleanup projects: a Dandy Dump dump trailer. We haul the Bobcat on a Contrail 16' , 12,000 lb GVWR trailer.

My son is now 21; he has been able to operate all of the equipment, and does much of the maintenance and repair. Currently he attends Roane State Community College.

What else? We have Honda ATV's, and when the trails are too narrow for that, ride KTM 4-stroke off-road motorcycles. At work, I have a special interest in and 19 years experience in planning and completing dental implant restorations. While we use 3/4 drive sockets on the big equipment, the titanium dental implant components torque to a whopping 30NCm, with hex drivers measureing 1.25mm.

We fix our own stuff. In 30 years of dental practice, I have never once had a dental equipment service call. (I'm not sure I can keep that up. . . .)

That's enough. . . more than you wanted to know. Thanks to all of you who have worked to make HEF a reality, a valuable site for folks like me.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
And I'll bet you hit Windrock Mountain with those ATV's quite frequently...since you're in Oak Ridge.

Had to replace a rubber track on a Morooka MST-600 on one of those trails once. LoL :D

Welcome to the forum DrJim. :usa

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
That's quite an intro DrJim! :thumbsup
Welcome to HEF, Goes to show how versatile this forum is & how all types of people have an interest in moving dirt.
Something appeals to me about the fact I could give a doctor some advice :rolleyes:

If you play your cards right - you could pick up some work around here, there's more than a few old blokes who would probably be in the market for some denture work!! :bouncegri

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to HEF, Goes to show how versatile this forum is & how all types of people have an interest in moving dirt.
Something appeals to me about the fact I could give a doctor some advice :rolleyes:

If you play your cards right - you could pick up some work around here, there's more than a few old blokes who would probably be in the market for some denture work!! :bouncegri

LoL, yeah, like me alrman. Being over 50, I'm glad to still have some of my teeth still in my head, but hard life has been hard on them. Having them properly cleaned is a task I'm not fond of, though I admit it needs to be done. Not really scared of pain, got over that a long time ago, it's just that picking, scrubbing, cleaning is a necessary chore. Still have all my upper teeth, bottom is the scarce part, have the cuspids and bicuspids, but only two bottom molars. Maybe I should give DrJim a call...since he's so close to me. √

DrJim

Occupation

My location is not so handy to patients in Australia. Unrelated triva, one of my favorite software developers is Des Newman, www.oziexplorer.com The OziExplorer gps/mapping software is the best, most versatile programs I have used--we have used it to map trails and document the location of the remote trash dump sites.

DrJim

Occupation
Yes, Atco, I'm familier with that Morooka. My good friend Chuck W. made that purchase. Every morning on the way to work I look up at Windrock and think about him. Darn pancreatic cancer took him in July 2009--I still can hardly believe he's gone.

My son and I had fun showing off to Chuck. One trashy area had a fiberglass runabout boat down an embankment. All the clubs had talked about cleaning it up, but nobody had managed to get it. I piggy-backed our efforts with a county inmate crew, tied a rope to one of my trucks, and had 3 inmate lower themselves down the embankment. Not to waste an opportunity, I had them pick up all the dumped trash at the bottom and throw it in the boat. Knocked a hole in the transom, strung a cable through the hole, and routed that through a snatch block on my old truck at the top of the bank, and then pulled 90 degrees to that (down the road) with my 773. Presto! Boat retrieved.

Ah, but what are you going to do with it now, Doc? I had a plan. Put the ramps down on the Contrail, grabbed the darn boat by the transom with the grapple bucket and shoved it on the trailer. Put the ramps up, went down the road a piece, and scooped up a huge pile of chainlink fencing mixed with roofing materials. Dumped that in the boat. . . on the trailer.

Again, I heard "Now what you going to do, Sherlock?". Up the road I had arranged for one of those big dumpsters, a 30 yard box. Put the ramps down, dragged the boat full of stuff off the trailer, and crammed it in the end door of the dumpster. We thus filled that 30 yard container by noon. Chuck grinned from ear to ear, shaking his head and saying, "You're crazy, Horton." Maybe so.

DrJim

Occupation
Atco, before the Morooka, my son and I used the ATV's. My boy was maybe 13 then; we burned 2 holes maybe 90 degrees apart on the end of a 10' piece of 15" galvanized metal culvert so we could hitch up so it wouldn't roll, and up the trail he went lickity split. I followed with one of those large Jackson wheelbarrows on my ATV. We installed that culvert by hand, and hauled backfill to cover it with the wheelbarrow (I don't see any threads for those, by the way). The culvert made the haul in just fine, but my son clipped a tree with the rear of the 2wd Honda 300 and bent the straight axle. Wish we had your instructions for fixing that. . . .

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Hey, I was floored myself when I heard that Chuck had passed. He purchased that little Morooka from us, and they have used the dog snot out of it on those trails. I get out there on occasion to do some repair that they're not comfortable with. But overall, it's been a good machine for them. I think I have some pics of it with a busted track on my work computer, have to see if I can find them. :)

Oh, I do have this one, a prank I pulled on the boss. I layed down beside the busted machine, used a rock as a pillow, like I was asleep. Had my helper take a pic and send it to boss's email. At the end of the day, he called us while traveling back in our Pete. He told my helper to stop by the bookeeper. When helper asked why, he said "to pick up your checks...your both fired!" Bah hahahahaha

Easy Job.jpg

Last edited:

DrJim

Occupation
Fancy coveralls, Atco. . . .

gatorguy

Occupation
Farmer and Equipment Operator
I have spent 5 full days (and a few unexpected nights) exploring those trails and have yet to see even half the place. I love going there and hope I will be back soon. Glad to hear you guys are taking care of it.

DrJim

Occupation
I have spent 5 full days (and a few unexpected nights) exploring those trails and have yet to see even half the place. I love going there and hope I will be back soon. Glad to hear you guys are taking care of it.

Gatorguy, glad you visit. As an unofficial "company man" and long-time area resident, we sure want you to come and have a great time.

To keep the story straight, for the past 2 or 3 years we have been "retired" from our volunteer duties. The 50 acres farm near Oliver Springs takes most of my "free" time, and the Coal Creek Company finally made some major committments to equip and hire staff to do ongoing maintenance. Up until a few years ago, most everything was done by OHV/ ATV clubs or my informal groups of individuals. My son and I spent 100's of hours in the Coal Creek OHV area cleaning up, from illegal dumps to burned-out stolen vehicles, to dragging out hundreds of discarded tires and vehicle fuel tanks. We had some interesting times, including shooting dozens of the largest copperheads you have ever seen, where the new campground is. Chuck W. was the general field manager for years and years. He saw us use a BrushCat and was impressed enough that he rented a T300 w/ BrushCat to clear off the overgrown, reclaimed surface mined area where the campground was to be designed--he wanted it clear so that the planners and surveyors could see what they were working with.

We took a shotgun, walked out to where he was working, and wow, one right after the other these huge copperheads would flee the brush cat. Pow, pow, pow, went the old 20 gauge.

There is definitely some elevation chage "on The Mountain" as we call it. Folks from the flatlands of GA and SC seem to enjoy it a bunch.

Come up and ride.

DrJim

Occupation
Atco, we tried to get Chuck interested in a SWECO trail dozer, with the optional hydraulic hammer. The SWECO is ideal for narrower trails, compared to larger dozers. But Chuck was concerned about the sole-source nature of the SWECO, and didn't think it would hold up to Windrock's rocky conditions. The SWECO also had a "speciality" price--he bought the large Cat for less that the SWECO would have cost. I guess that was the right decision, though I miss the old, narrow trails. It is a lot safer now, I think, and of course the state dept of environment and conservation(TDEC) was the driving force behind the company's purchase of equipment. It was either maintain the trails, ditch crossings, water breaks, and erosion contro, or shut down the riding areas completely.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yep, Chuck told us he needed some kind of support vehicle to help with the enviro maintenance when he decided to purchase the Morooka. They use it to haul dirt, gravel, and materials to areas where they're doing erosion control. Then they figured out the could attach a reciever hitch to the back of it, load the Morooka bed with hay, and drag a hydro-seeder behind it. It's been a really handy machine in that rough terrain.

Everybody that lives within a couple of hundred miles, and likes riding their four wheelers, should plan a trip to Coal Creek. There's more riding trails there than you can probably even cover in a days riding. :)

DrJim

Occupation
Everybody that lives within a couple of hundred miles, and likes riding their four wheelers, should plan a trip to Coal Creek. There's more riding trails there than you can probably even cover in a days riding. :)

Well duh. . . there is 72,000 acres. . . . :)

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Hey Jim, Here's a couple of pics of the busted track on the Morooka.

This is the way we found the machine on the trail.

COAL CREEK_02 14 08 017.jpg

It wasn't in a good postition to replace the track, so we took a Cat skidloader and made a wide spot on the trail and turned the machine to make work easier.

Windrock Track 005.jpg

You might recognise this trail Jim, the powerline trail to the east of the check in area. That itty bitty spot on the gravel drive at the bottom of the hill is our Peterbilt and lowboy trailer. :D

Windrock Track 007.jpg

DrJim

Occupation
What a great business to be in--you know they'll break it again.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
What a great business to be in--you know they'll break it again.

LoL, well, that's always possible. I think the reason they broke that track was more from too much track tension. I found out the operator thought he was supposed to grease that fitting on the side of trackframe daily, that being the grease adjuster. Once I explained to him you only add grease to the adjuster to achieve proper track tension, and not everyday, haven't had a problem since.