• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Driveline Removal from Fuller Trans

BrianGrenier

Occupation
Various Duties
Hi Experts,

I sheared off my driveline the other day on my Ford9000 with a FullerRT-12509 9-Speed Transmission.

How do remove the output yoke?

Removing the center support and pulling that part of the driveline went well, but the forward part of the driveline is not so obvious, picture of the output yoke below...

P1020484.JPG

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
You remove the bearing cups for the universal joint. Remove the 3/8" bolts that retain the bearing cups in the yoke, typically you can grip the outer plate with a pair of large tongue and groove pliers, a little twist of the plate and the cup will come out. Sometimes the cup is stuck in the yoke, whacking plate with ball peen will sometimes free them. Worst case, a little heat from a gas ax on yoke.

BrianGrenier

Occupation
Various Duties
So, remove the bearing cups, maybe whacking 'em, then the u-joint should twist out, leaving me the driveline in hand and the yoke stays, rt?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
This is what your u-joint looks like. Remove the bolts in the retainer plates and bearing cups slip outward out of the yoke.

Spicer Series 10 u-joint.jpg

BrianGrenier

Occupation
Various Duties
Priceless advice; Thank you! It came right apart and ready to go to the shop that sold it last time.

BrianGrenier

Occupation
Various Duties
Snow:D Close, but give it a few more days. The white in the picture is an oil-sorb. I started to tackle the job by removing um, the bearing cover or is it a seal and transmission fluid started to drip out and I knew that might not be the way to remove this driveline.

Weather report here in Alaska is: temps in the 40's, drenching rain.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
Willie59 has it right on the money, I would like to add, if that doesnt work try
Watch out with the torch around that rear seal, it usually takes a torch, but be gentle
I would replace the Ujoint, its easier to do it now
take all the bolts out and wack with a hammer, its maybe easier to take the Ujoint in the tranny joke end, then you can replace the driveshaft one outside the truck
If the hammer doesnt work quickly for you, with the tranny yoke 12&6 o'clock, put the tranny in any gear so it wont turn.
DO NOT PUT A BUNCH OF PRESSURE ON THIS, IT WILL MESS THE SEAL UP, IF THE BEARING IS WORN
get some blocking and a hydraulic jack and jack on the driveshaft yoke, gently, GENTLY. with a little pressure wack with a hammer. the top bearing should come off.
Turn the yoke over and do the opposite, the other bearing cap should come out
now you can remove the drive shaft, with the Ujoint, go to a vise a wack away
Clean out the cap bosses/holes before you reinstall
If you had shims on the midshaft bearing, make sure you put them back
I always try to align the yokes, from the tranny to the diff, I was told it helps with vibration. Im sure you have a slip joint in this drive train, thats where you can get it off
Good Luck

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
OK, I just see what you broke, been there many times, you broke the midshaft bearing shaft
You will need the stub shaft end and take it to a machine shop and get them to cut the weld off the broke one, install the new part and weld it back on
replace the midshaft/center bearing, if it isnt bad youll probably, going to mess it up, getting it apart

BrianGrenier

Occupation
Various Duties
The welding and bearings are finished at the MaShop; $650.00. That seems high, or not, to do the weld, mid-shaft bearing.