• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Drive lines

GOINGBROKE

Occupation
Diesel shop owner - truck, farm and heavy equipmen
Being ignorant as usual, installing a driveline in a tractor, wondered if it makes a difference which direction the slip yoke goes. Curious if there is a right or wrong way and what the reason is.:Banghead

mitch504

All I've ever thought was to put the slip yoke on the high end, to keep it out of the dirt, and also, if you hit a stump or something, I'd rather take the impact on the tube, rather than the slip yoke.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Slip joint usually goes at the end of the shaft that's connected to whatever doesn't move. So on a truck for example the tube would go at the axle/differential end and the slip joint would be located at the transmission end.

mitch504

Hey Nige, you got any idea why? I can come up w/ a couple of theories, but I can't settle on one.

big ben

That is definitely a great question as to "why" it goes the way it does. I just checked all my trades school notes and not one mention of the theory as to why. I just always remember because when I first started to learn the mechanic's trade as a young tech at a truck dealer and I was putting up a driveline, the old (30 years plus in the trade) mechanic I was working with just said "now remember drivelines run the same way as relationships - the female drives the male" Its not super catchy or funny but just one of those things that stick in your mind and I've always remembered which end goes where.

OldandWorn

Slip joint usually goes at the end of the shaft that's connected to whatever doesn't move. So on a truck for example the tube would go at the axle/differential end and the slip joint would be located at the transmission end.

I also agree with the dirt and water thing and I think your statement possibly has the most merit. Not only does a differential move but it tries to rotate on its axis during accel/deaccel. It makes sense to have the weaker slip joint farther away from a leverage standpoint. Not saying that the shaft is supposed to limit the rotation but many rears just depend on the springs to keep them aligned and they can torque up pretty good sometimes.

big ben....I like that and will always remember it too.

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I just always remember because when I first started to learn the mechanic's trade as a young tech at a truck dealer and I was putting up a driveline, the old (30 years plus in the trade) mechanic I was working with just said "now remember drivelines run the same way as relationships - the female drives the male" Its not super catchy or funny but just one of those things that stick in your mind and I've always remembered which end goes where.
A bit like the one about the correct orientation for installing Crosby clamps on wire rope slings "Never Saddle a Dead Horse" ..........