• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Drilling holes in Scraper cutting edge

Mactractor

Using edges or Q & T plate that were not made for what your fitting them to, you sometimes need to hole them because using existing holes will not position the edge where you want or not provide enough strength and support for the application. Not all ground engaging hardware is fixed with plow bolts. I`ve seen many scraper router plates and backhoe bucket side cutters fixed with hex head bolts

61BG

Mactractor is right. Ive drilled 400 plate & the ONLY way to drill it is by preheating first then let it normalize. We,ve tried using a rota broach mag drill & without preheating it would peel the teeth off the rota broach bit...After preheating orange we would just use a regular titanium drill bit & a Milwaukee mag drill & lots of lube & the bit would cut no problem.The good thing is you'd be preheating & drilling in the middle of the edge so you wont lose the hardness at the actual cutting edge. Like I said, Mac sounds like hes done this before,as he is right.

TOM V

Occupation
Mechanic, Welder, Office work ect.
Drilling Hardox 450.
IMAG0136.jpg
Drilling cutting edge
.2012-09-26_07-53-49_529.jpg

Swamp rat

Sorry for taking so long to reply back. I received the carbide annular cutters from Jantzy and tryed one this morning - worked like a charm. The reason for cutting new holes - i sold my Miskin pull pans , but still have many New edges left , all my John Deere pull pans use a different bolt pattern as well as size bolt. To much money sitting around to not use them. I also didnt want to drill extra holes in the pan and possibly weaken it / with 500 hp pulling it , its hard enough keeping them together and not pulling them to peices.

I will use standard bolts with these edges due to no way or need to cut holes for carriage heads. It will be a little more time consuming to install with hex heads , but once they are used up its back to original ones agian, they will be gr # 8 and i welded a peice of flat bar in front of the bolt to keep the heads from wearing off.
Thanks for all the input to solving this , it cost a couple bits but atleast they r done.

TOM V - thanks for helping and your time as well - i and my machine shop still dont understand why your cutters would not work , they would get about 1/32" into the plate and stop cutting. The Carbide did very good tho. thanks.

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
Using edges or Q & T plate that were not made for what your fitting them to, you sometimes need to hole them because using existing holes will not position the edge where you want or not provide enough strength and support for the application. Not all ground engaging hardware is fixed with plow bolts. I`ve seen many scraper router plates and backhoe bucket side cutters fixed with hex head bolts

Mac, thank you for the answer. I'm still learning things!

Tinkerer

I will use standard bolts with these edges due to no way or need to cut holes for carriage heads. It will be a little more time consuming to install with hex heads , but once they are used up its back to original ones agian, they will be gr # 8 and i welded a peice of flat bar in front of the bolt to keep the heads from wearing off.
Swamp Rat: I have successfully installed a lot of carriage bolts in round holes. I grind the bolt shoulders down, but leave enough on for a good grip and then I pound them into the hole. Use a good impact wrench and pound on them as they go in.

Swamp rat

Tinkerer - that sounds like a good thing to try , i am gonna try to put one set on this weekend. Just got in the 18v lithium - ion 1/2" Snap-On impact , gonna be a good time to give it a test.