• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dressta/Dresser/International....Thoughts?

td15c

I have two dresser td15c one with the ih 466 motor and one with the 505 Cummins both are great dozers. also have a dresser 412b scraper and its been a good machine.parts are easy to get from komatsu or used and aftermarket.I would love to see independent dresser\dressta dealers.

clansing1

Dresser Dozers

We have been using International/Dresser dozers for the past 35 years. We've had 175B & 250C track loaders, TD-20C & TD-25C bulldozers in the past. We currently have a Td-20E, which we converted to an L-10 Cummins engine, and 3 TD-20G's bulldozer. We also have a 175C loader and a 412B Scraper.

We get our parts through the local Komatsu dealer. We recently rebuilt a transmission on a TD-20G LGP. Most of the parts were Komatsu, but some were Dresser. We ended up having to sent back some of the parts. The Komatsu parts were taken back with a restocking fee. Dresser would not take back their parts.

The last Td-20E was built in 1987 in the U.S. The first Td-20G was made in 1987 and all were made in Poland.

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
In about 2000, I noticed Alabama all the county dept. and the ADOT started using Dressta ' dozers and 515 wheel loaders. Ive run a TD15 Dresta and I really liked it. They say they are one of the simplest ones to work on right now. Very comfortable and dependable to. Tractor and Equipment Company the nearest Alabama Komatsu dealer always has a TD 9 out front. Their website the machines look to carry al lthe looks of the older machines to.

brian falcone

Dressta

my father and his father before only bought international machines....td6 skid shovel , td9 skid shovel, 3616 backhoe and 640 hoe. they very reliable as far as i remember. i bought a 1968 international 175b loader in 2001 and the local komatsu dealer had a lot of parts in stock. pretty sure the current 175c loader was made in poland at that point too. they were not high tech but they got the job done....my fathers machines were never worked hard though and only logged about a few hundred hours a year . the komatsu / dressta marriage fell apart a few years ago so im not sure if komatsu still has parts. the dressta line of machines is no longer listed on the komatsu web site.i often wonder what would have happened if cat was the loser in the early 80s recesion and international came out on top. aside from the td30 a lot of the machines were pretty solid from what ive been told.

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
i worked for a mass grading outfit who's owner HATED cat iron. he gave me my first real seat time on a big dozer. he had 3 td 25's. a c and 2 g's. i started on the g and he eventually let me have the c. it was hotrodded. cut head, big injectors, turned up pump, and bigger turbo. what a monster. in the dark of the early morning that pig would pour out 3" flames from the stack.BIG straight pipe so the neighbors knew you were diggin. that tractor ruined me. it was so comfortable and the 2 speed steering made slope work and big cuts so easy. i would rather run a td25 than a high track 8 and it would be a toss up between a 25 and an 8h.

hardtail

I worked for a contractor who used to be a International Dresser mechanic and then salesman. Needless to say, he was kind of partial to them....go figure.

Now, to be honest, they weren't the fanciest machines we had, but they didn't give us half the problems that the other machines did. We had a fair number of them as well, in terms of dozers alone, we had a TD12C, TD15C, TD15E, TD25C, 3 TD25E, and 2 TD25G machines.

There were a few things that weren't as nice to work on as some other machines, but they were easy to keep running and very reliable. If I was looking for a dozer and found a Dresser in good condition, I wouldn't hesitate.

Now, as for Dressta, the dealer we had also handled Komatsu and they weren't interested in bringing in any Dresstas for us. So I can't say how the new versions are to deal with.

Brian

I'm sure alco is familiar with Voice, one of Albertas large older construction companies, they used to have quite abit of International equipment in the day, look under company and history for a short vid......some pretty interesting stories back then.

http://www.voiceconst.com/

I'd say you need good product, service and support, you won't stand a chance today without all 3........

Last edited:

hardtail

Talking about Voice reminded me of a buddy working for them along the Sh Pk freeway for Byers transport in 79, it was about -30C and a cab would have been welcome on the 25.........LOL

alco your friend used to work for Vulcan equipment???????

Attachments

• Scan10120.jpg
    Scan10120.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 6,295
  • Scan10121.jpg
    Scan10121.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 5,987
Last edited:

ragerider

Occupation
pipeliner!!!!
I have run almost all brands of dozers and I have recently run a dressta td 15 for the first time. I was working in a natural gas compressor station running a track hoe digging ditch for a new line. There was another contractor there working beside us they owned the dressta which is the first one that I'v ever seen. I walked over and asked the operator what he thought of it well lets just say he had nothing good to say about it at all he did tell me that it had 1500 hours and the engine and trans were out 3 times!! Well that night we worked late we got our line put in and I went to backfilling our ditch with the dressta I ran it for about 2 hours. I must say that it did have power but it was by far the worst fit and finish of any machine I have ever ran the quality was like it should be sold at harbor freight My guess is that it was cheap thats why they bought it but I would say that its only worth its weight for scrap!!!

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
Grandpa had been running IH, then Dresser for over 60 years and the reason we went with them was cause they treated us well and were great machines. I'd take my 15C over ANY CAT 6. Of the two I run right now(one we still own, other for the company i work for) one has 22K on it, with 7 on the engine(8.3L Cummins) and the other has 24K on it with 21K on the engine(8.3L Cummins, and yes its due for a rebuild). Those machines have moved a ton of dirt and rocks and timber over the years and we have been very happy with them. My boss told our owner that we are NEVEr getting rid of that 15, just going to do a complete on it and go again someday.

Trbo

Top Dog

Occupation
Rock Quarry Owner
I ran a TD15M last week for 6 days straight it performed great I built a pond with about 5 thousand yds of dirt to move it performed good, the blade a little on the short side (dirt would roll over the top) but it cut very well and carried dirt good. The only thing I could say bad about it is the fuel, it likes a lot of it. The one I was on had a cab that blocked noise very well and comfortable to operate, I ran it for about 10 to 12 hours a day last week with no aches at all. The salesman said the one I was on was about 165thousand. Just my thoughts

jxm7202

we have a td25h, we call it the exxon valdez! its a nice dozer to operate but a huge money pit. we were putting 12 gallons of hydraulic fluid a day in it, and 8 gallons of trans fluid! it went to the dealership and now it only uses 6 gallons of trans fluid a day. theres more hoses on that thing than a blade has, all big ones with metric ends, buried in the belly of that thing. its a 2004 with 2800 hrs on it.

JCBgm

I have run almost all brands of dozers and I have recently run a dressta td 15 for the first time. I was working in a natural gas compressor station running a track hoe digging ditch for a new line. There was another contractor there working beside us they owned the dressta which is the first one that I'v ever seen. I walked over and asked the operator what he thought of it well lets just say he had nothing good to say about it at all he did tell me that it had 1500 hours and the engine and trans were out 3 times!! Well that night we worked late we got our line put in and I went to backfilling our ditch with the dressta I ran it for about 2 hours. I must say that it did have power but it was by far the worst fit and finish of any machine I have ever ran the quality was like it should be sold at harbor freight My guess is that it was cheap thats why they bought it but I would say that its only worth its weight for scrap!!!

Stories like these really concern me. We run into people that spew BS stories all the time because they are brainwashed by branding. The issue I have with the story is the issue with the engine. A TD15M runs a Cummins QSC8.3 motors. These motors are widely used throughout the worldwide without issue. Kawasaki even supplies their Cummins powered wheel loaders with 10,000 hour Cummins warranties.

We're not a Dressta dealer, but stories like this really toast my behind. We do, however, have experience with Cummins and have seen zero failures.

SterlingR

Formerly DRESSTA1
I will give my .02 cents. The only issue we have had with the Cummins engine, on two or three units Cummins put the wrong rear engine oil seal in. It would transfer trans oil into the engine. I have not heard of a single trans failure.

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
I've said it in prior post on this but the 8.3L cummins engine is very widely used engine and I myself have had two 15C Dresser dozers with over 22K on one and just shy of 25K(and that one has almost 21K on the engine) As far as the machine goes, awesome well balanced, always started well in the cold weather, have never had transmission issues either. Some of the steering linkage and control levers are a bit over done(too many joints to wear out, but keeping up on them helps control that). Taking care of your machines when you are using them, as well as the hourly maintance. I've watched guys just beat the crap out of a machine day in and day out and then B****H up and down at what a piece of junk it is a year later.

Trbo

nikomil1

We own a wheel loader International Dresser 530 AII with an International 467 (at least it is what the stamp plates say) engine, and are about to do some maintenance on the engine, but i can not determine whether this engine is different or same with the engine 466.

Can you please tell me what are the differences between engine 467 and 466? Browsing through internet i couldn't find any information or service manual for engine 467 while in the same time the engine 466 is one of the most known. Would spare parts for 466 be the same as for 467? The engine is produced 1984.

Below is given the information i could find on the machine stamp-plates and on the engine itself.
-----------------------------
engine 467
Dresser Europe S.A.
Branch - Heidelberg
International - Hough division
Machine model 530
Engine model 467-th2u number. 190126 (this number is also stamped on the engine block)
Vehicle type:
Chassis - NR .347 053 9D 000 719
prod year 1984

If anyone has any answer please email me : nikomil1@yahoo.com

VKconstruction

My dad started with IH 4o years ago, & stayed with them through Dresser, all TD-7-TD-9 models. When I took over, we kept a Td-7G widepad (undercarriage worn out), Td-7G (rebuilt motor & trans, runs great with >7k hrs), & a TD-8H (5k hrs, everything is almost worn out). Picked up a Dressta 04 TD-12C, & not too happy with it. It pushes really well, but something went wrong in the final drive & I don't have enough $ laying around to dig into it. Bought it with only 350 hrs, currently at 750 hrs. Left brake doesn't work at all, & right brake isn't reading the right pressure. Other than that 1 big problem, I've always loved these cats. Ended up buying a Komatsu D-39 earlier this year though, the hydrostatic drive is fantastic.

Maddox

Does anybody know any specs on an International TD 15? It's an older dozer that I'm thinking of buying. Are they worth having? Alot of propblems?

kleener

Occupation
battler
Maddox,
the guys on redpower forum are the experts on inters. TD 15 were good machines, but long in the tooth.. depends what you want to do.