• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dresser 510B trans fluid leak

Oerthedge21

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Recently picked up an early 510B loader. From what I can tell someone blew a rod thru the block on the original engine and repowered with a 4bt Cummins like the later machines. Runs great, all hydros work fine, but suddenly it's started pissing trans oil out of the drain on the bellhousing. Gets worse when you put it in gear and move. Just sitting in place running it's a solid dribble. With the drain plug installed it leaks all around the housing and out the starter instead. Can't find mich info on whether these are wet or dry bellhousing machines. And even still, the hydraulic pump drive gearbox sits between the transmission and the engine. We'd thought it to be a leaking hyd pump at first but after running for 5 minutes and blowing out a good half gallon of fluid the hyd tank hasnt gotten any lower, plus the oil leaking out is darker than the hyd oil. Also isn't a bad rear main seal, engine oil hasn't dropped a bit and it smells different. Damn near positive it's a trans oil leak, unless there's more fluid in that area somewhere that I'm not aware of. Anyone has a similar issue, or have a breakdown of that area? The manual is over 100$ and if I can get by on this one without having to order that and wait weeks to get it that would be great, need this thing in usable shape as soon as possible

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Can't find anything free online at least from a site I trust! Any chance of uploading some pictures of the flywheel housing and transmission area? Might see something or at least get a good idea how this loader is designed. Worked on many of the larger machines Dresser, IH and Hough built over the years

I guess the first thing I would need to know is the transmission bolted direct to the flywheel housing or is there a drive shaft from converter on engine to a separate transmission?

I would look to see if there is a breather on the transmission that might be plugged and not letting oil drain back to the sump.

Another thing, has this done this right from the start when you got it or is this something that just started recently?

Are you sure the transmission is not over full? Most every loader the oil level is checked with warm oil and with engine running at idle, unless the dipstick is marked saying something like "Check oil cold with engine off".

Oerthedge21

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Bolted direct to the engine. Found a reasonable price on a downloadable manual, the converter charge pump is external, little gear pump that if the seal blew would be forcing oil into the converter housing. Going to pop that out and see how it looks first. Transmission is definitely not over full, these have sight glasses and it's drained to below both of them running or not, was up to the top one when running before, after 5 minutes it's leaked out enough to be low. It just started doing this a few days after I got it, not sure why. Hoping it didn't blow a seal in the converter, I see it's a multi piece unit by the pictures Screenshot_20230603-113310.png

Oerthedge21

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
What I need to know is if these are a wet bellhousing or dry. The charge pump bolts to the converter housing which looks to be a wet area, but I'm not sure if it's supposed to be sealed from the bellhousing on the engine or if I have a bad seal on the bellhousing. It's leaking from right in front of the oil pan, so the bellhousing is leaking up there. Not sure if it's supposed to be able to hold oil or not

Oerthedge21

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Have discovered that this is in fact a wet bellhousing machine. Seems the bellhousing has a leak where its supposed to seal to the block. Gonna try a little homemade fix, gonna run a drain hose from the drain plug on the housing to the drain on the bottom of the trans and see how it works out, will keep y'all updated

Oerthedge21

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Well the drainhose idea helped some but it still leaks. So I will be pulling the engine and resealing the bellhousing. I'll get some pictures up of the problem area and the fix