• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dresser 4000 Loaders ?

alco

So you lied my friend. Unit 1 still alive and kickin' out digs most of em.

I didn't lie. I was referring to the last 4000 in the Elk Valley as referenced in the quote below........in fact, the post immediately before mine.

The last 4000 loader in the Elk Valley was disposed of probably around 10 years (maybe a bit more) ago. I don't think there are any running in Canada, as SMS has scrapped any old inventory we had for them. From the stories I've heard from mechanics, the one running out here provided a lot of OT for guys changing trannies. They got pretty good at it too, with all the practice.

mike 360*

DSC00227.jpg pair of Dresser 580s in Charles Hull yard in Waroona, Western Australia. apparently they were bought from rio tinto iron ore in the pilbara, for the job near perth, but that got shelved and they have been parked up for many years.

neejah

Hi Dresser 17, Do you still have the Dresser 4000? Will you sell it? How much do you want for it?

Dresser 17 actually left the company that owned the loader some time ago......we still have it, still running.

We may be looking to sell it in November, price wise - you'd need to send an offer as I have no idea what it's worth. I know how much the consumables are worth & how much we've put into it to keep running.

It's actually #10, not #1 - and we've got the majority of the spares that SMS & Transwest got rid of years ago, well those that are useful.IMG_1317.JPG

Kevin Wood

Dresser 17 actually left the company that owned the loader some time ago......we still have it, still running.

We may be looking to sell it in November, price wise - you'd need to send an offer as I have no idea what it's worth. I know how much the consumables are worth & how much we've put into it to keep running.

It's actually #10, not #1 - and we've got the majority of the spares that SMS & Transwest got rid of years ago, well those that are useful.View attachment 172668
Is this machine still in Tucson, AZ?

neejah

Great, I do have a very interested party asking, do you have any literature on this, such as a spec sheet or would you know the shipping weight and dims?

Kevin, if you send me your email I can send it over.
I'll dig it out tomorrow, ive got it from when it came from Peoria plus the spec sheets.
We've also got a spare tranny, wheel, pump stacks, coolers etc.....ideally I'd like to bundle everything.

neejah

Kevin, if you send me your email I can send it over.
I'll dig it out tomorrow, ive got it from when it came from Peoria plus the spec sheets.
We've also got a spare tranny, wheel, pump stacks, coolers etc.....ideally I'd like to bundle everything.

It's a heavy old thing mind.....low boy wise I'd suspect approx 6 plus spares.

Kevin Wood

It's a heavy old thing mind.....low boy wise I'd suspect approx 6 plus spares.
Great, kwoodbg7@yahoo.com and my cell is 512-971-5270. Thnx a bunch for anything you can send my way, regarding this unit. Very excited, have been looking for one, as there were only 20 some odd manufactured and most went to mines in Australia and Singapore.

neejah

Great, kwoodbg7@yahoo.com and my cell is 512-971-5270. Thnx a bunch for anything you can send my way, regarding this unit. Very excited, have been looking for one, as there were only 20 some odd manufactured and most went to mines in Australia and Singapore.
10-4, I'll send info tomorrow.

You can probably guess where this one has spent it's life (it's not in a production environment), only has circa 9k hours on it.

You're correct on quantities, I think it was 24, but I don't think they actually all made it out of the factory.

I'll look the history up on #10, but from memory I think it spent a year or so in Texas. Then went back to the factory.

They're an interesting machine, this is probably the only one left running. It's definitely got the last set of brake packs in it & we just bought the last two fwd/rev solenoids last month.....

vanderlei

Occupation
tree service
I had didactic material this machine
But much has been lost
I would like to know where to find ...

Attachments

• post-1574-1188274062.jpg
    post-1574-1188274062.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 50
  • post-1574-1188274093.jpg
    post-1574-1188274093.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 49
  • post-1574-1188274117.jpg
    post-1574-1188274117.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 47

Michael Kolesky

Hello , My name is Mike Kolesky. I havent been on this site for some time. Came across this request so I thought I would add a post. If my memory serves me correctly it was the winterof 95-96. I had the pleasure of putting the first 2 of these machines ever builtin the dirt. The first Dresser 4000 was the proto type from Peoria. This was the Trial and Test Run were all machine data was gathered for factory. 17 transports it took to get all parts to Jobsite. : GLENROCK COAL : GLENROCK WYOMING The protto type had a Detroit engine. What I recall the most was how intricate and time consuming it was to install all the sensors Haulpak required for the testing and first run in. Transmission preformance specs such as ground speed and shift times were something closely looked at due to this machines massive size. Operating pressures and Trans temperature data was also something we analyzed in everyway it possibly could be tested. 42 yrd coal bucket empty and loaded, all sorts of ground conditions, such as hard packed roads, soft material type roads with many different type of ground material. soft dirt, mud, dry coal, wet coal, soft sand , packed sand, snow ect. long haul short haul, grades of all kinds. Brake preformance specs , steering times, hyd pressures, engine stalls and HP specs. It helped write the manual. I recall brake problems , we did numerous modifications to brakes as tests were being performed. also driveline and pump piping bracket and support mods.
The hyd system to completely fill from empty " all dry components " was unbelievable something like 2600 gallons of ISO 32. Lots of fluids at the qauntities, I have never seen and I was used to working on lots of Big Dozers 455A-1A,s 475A-1 and 475A-2,s. Excavators PC650-3 PC1000--3 PC1500-5 PC1750-5 . miscs Big Haulpaks. This Machine was Fucking BIG. !!!!!
The Biggest problem we had was manyt manyt oil leaks after initial build and frun in. Thed orings used on the Proto type were all flat square type orings. We questioned using them from the start but the engineers said to use them. Ok we said. The hyd oil leaks finally got so bad, that the mine got on our ass about all the oil on the test road edges from run off as the snow melted or the rain came. WE NAMED AND ACCUALLY CHRISTEND IT WITH A BOLTTLE OF CHEAP CHAMPANGE, UNIT#-01 PROTO TYPE OF THE DRESSER 4000 " THE VALDEZ " becuase of all the leaks. well thats the story of the first Dresser 4000. #2 went ok, just some brake problems and updated all orings to what we use today. i will add pictures , I need to dig them up. PEACE OUT

kazooreck

I'm refreshing the topic. Does anyone have any unique photos or videos of this loader, that they could share here?