• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Drawing a blank where to buy tires local?

joeeye59

Occupation
A Man with a Backhoe
Anybody have names of Tire Shops and places to go? in the Connecticut New England area where I can buy an 11L 16 backhoe front tire.... I'll buy used on line, but I rather not buy new on line cause I wanted it installed on the rim, so I'd feel funny going to my guy who does my tires when I didn't buy from him...

Town Fair Tire was no help to get one today.... or even know if they can get one, I need to bring it down and maybe leave it...

joeeye59

Occupation
A Man with a Backhoe
Never mind guys

I finally figured it out...

If anybody is in the Connecticut area I found a dealer called Toce Bros in Torrington, they have everything... :)

joeeye59

Occupation
A Man with a Backhoe
Another question please

Just wondering if its okay or even a good idea to put tubes in the front tires? Because I kind of liked them all metal stems bolted onto the rims sealing out the dirt.... because I'd think that dirt would work its way into the hole that the tube stem sticks out... or is this another design I'm missing with having tubes? really I'm thinking about it, I bury it sometimes under mud almost all the way up the front wheel, so what keeps the muddy dirty sandy mud out from going in between the tube stem and rim hole, letting in dirt to work the tube flat?? hummmm???

Last edited:

dist3

Occupation
Equipment Manager Enviromental and Site Contractor
Toce Brothers In Torrington. Great road service.

joeeye59

Occupation
A Man with a Backhoe
I learned today the tube stems look like tubeless mounted stems when installed bolted into place.... I never knew that, I can't tell by looking at the air stem if its a tube or tubeless.

Plus, I never knew the Rt Ft tire had a tube in it, now I know why the Rt Ft tire never needed air, it was always the Lt Ft that required air once in a while, as well as cleaning the bead once in a while from the dirt that got in there, I'd know when the tubeless tire bead needed to be cleaned because the tire went flat faster than normal, if that makes sense to say :).

When I asked for tubes to be put in it was falling on deaf ears, I told the head sales boss who sits in the shop, he said I don't need tubes, (what ?) I couldn't believe it that the guy made up my mind for me, plus the installer person put a hole in my tube that he took out of my Rt Ft tire...

I use to do that kind of work mounting tires, I know 12 ply are killers to mount, and next to impossible to mount with tubes as you try not to pinch the tube when installing on the wheel.... but that's the way it was back in my day when I use to do that kind of work, I'd hope by now the machines have become better these days to do that job to mount 12 plys with tubes, but didn't look like it after watching them today.

As soon as I start needing to put air in either tire I'm going right back up there to have tubes put in... :).

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I agee with ya' joeeye. We have a Bell wiggle wagon that the same rear tire keeps going, uh, flat! The same tire shop has come out (on site) at least 4 times to repair the stupid tire, the first our expense, the last 3 theirs. On the last call, I asked the tire rep on the phone "you think it would be better to put a tube in that thing?". Similar reply as you recieved, "we don't want to do that unless we have to." Uhhh, hello? At what point do we determine "have to"???? I don't get it either. What the hell makes a tube radioactive to these tire people on a piece of construction equipment nowdays??? I remember when we had tubes in vehicle tires. You put air in it...the air stayed in it. I understand how tubeless radials are probably better for vehicle applications. But a construction machine? What the heck is the problem with putting a tube in it, putting the air in it, and throw the air pressure gauge away?

joeeye59

Occupation
A Man with a Backhoe
I agee with ya' joeeye. We have a Bell wiggle wagon that the same rear tire keeps going, uh, flat! The same tire shop has come out (on site) at least 4 times to repair the stupid tire, the first our expense, the last 3 theirs. On the last call, I asked the tire rep on the phone "you think it would be better to put a tube in that thing?". Similar reply as you recieved, "we don't want to do that unless we have to." Uhhh, hello? At what point do we determine "have to"???? I don't get it either. What the hell makes a tube radioactive to these tire people on a piece of construction equipment nowdays??? I remember when we had tubes in vehicle tires. You put air in it...the air stayed in it. I understand how tubeless radials are probably better for vehicle applications. But a construction machine? What the heck is the problem with putting a tube in it, putting the air in it, and throw the air pressure gauge away?

When I got my machine I had them put new rear tires on it, and of course one was going flat in about a weeks time.... so I was stuck with it cause it was part of the sale..... so would you believe I put a can of sealer in it and drove it around and I cant believe it worked, now I put air in it every 5 or 6 weeks than every week....

May I suggest you do some detective work your self on your tire to see exactly whats going on with it, hit the beads on both sides with soapy water to see where it leaks, and see if its the same area all the time. I think with all machines its when we go in the muddy wet dirt and the wheels rim really picks up the dirt working its way into the bead to leak...

RTSmith

Occupation
Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
OK ATCO- I'll ask the stupid question- What is a "wiggle wagon"? Pics maybe?