• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

DPF Retrofits - Anybody Done One Yet?

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I am going to need to retrofit two trucks with DPFs for California in the next year or two. Both are KW T300s. One has a C7 about 300 HP built in '04 and the other has an ISC at 315 HP built in '06. Both have the big muffler with internal catalyst. The C7 one is a beavertail that runs long distances and then gets shut down making it the best candidate I think. The ISC one does very short deliveries from one driveway to the next.

I would love to know what people's experiences have been on these things; if they are reliable and what the best manufacturers of them are. The good, bad, and ugly.

Dualie

If you put the ISC back in the yard every night then they have DPF's that you can regenerate electrically. Basically they plug into 440 3 phase and bake the unit out vs an active Regen.

being close to the port i have seen every make an model of truck refitted with DPF's and i can say honestly that more than 50% of them seem to have been defective or definately tampered with because you can see visible emissions from the very often.

Reel hip

Occupation
owner operator bobcat"s and dump truck"s
You can delay putting them in until 2014 1st truck and 2016 2nd truck if you record with CARB. Alot of problems with DPF's but they are working out the bugs. I have been able to delay putting in one (for my truck) until 2016. Are these your only trucks? You know that that is not the end result for your truck? CARB expects your 04 to have a 2010 motor by 1-1-2021. Your 06 will be good until1-1-2022. My thought has been to delay as long as posable in hopes that (1) technolgy catches up and they can build a better DPF or (2) CARB has enough feedback about problems that they suspend it for a while, not likley but they did suspend DPF's for off road equipment due to safety concerns and the passive DPF's were catching Iron on fire and totaling the equipment. Did you sell any older trucks? There are some credits for this helping you delay, I think. I had a company help me and they were really knowledable about this and gave me alot of free advice. Maybe even get you some public funding to help pay for the filters.
WWW becarbcompliant.com

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Thanks for the ideas. We have to do one more by the first of next year (2013) even though we have already reported. Then we have to do two more by the first of 2014.

It is a big bummer and I am with you on hoping they will rescind somewhat. We already have two 2007 spec motors but I guess that is not good enough for them. We are probably going to limit one truck to 1000 miles next year instead of spending the 15 grand for a questionable solution, and buy another new one that was already in the works anyway. The following year we need to retrofit or limit to 1k or buy another new one. I am really hoping they will rescind by then.