• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dozers pulling scrapers question

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Hey Brainzie . Good pictures mate . . . how about the "Verbs" (to use tctractors expression) just what's going on? Looks like an interesting job.

Do those juice scoops stand up alright after a roll over. . . it could be a common occurrence with learners on cable Le Torneau LPs . . . mostly little damage it could be a dirty greasy nightmare sorting out the ropes.

Cheers.

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
good pics phil; whos fleet was that ?? Only person I know with a heap of 7Hs on scoops is bob hick.
were they clutch and brake models, or diff steer. opinions I have heard is diff steer is not that great with a scoop behind, and I quite believe it too.
pic of my girl scooping Scooping 8.jpg

Brainzie

Hey scrub. that was the first stage of a subdivision on the out skirts of Tauranga. Had a few man made lakes to add to asthetics and make use of a large amount of peat that was in lower lying areas. I was only there one season, so never worked on the man made lakes just the residential part. Those scoops fell over just as easy as an onions, ( that`d be the closest to a letourne that I`d played with ) if the fulla in the tractor wasn't consentrating, but mostly those kokudos would be one of the most stable scoops Ive used, not that I`ve used a lot. But with those big fat back tyres they certainly slid round in greasy going.

Was a heap of dirt moved on that job Merv, RPL ( Renner Plant services limited ) I think was or is the right name they were who I worked for and had won the first stage. They had a couple of 14s there as well but mostly only the D7`s were working, was quite nice material to use until we got down to some real wet white %^&$ which the pic will explain. Had a wheel tractor pulling some scarrifiers to help dry the material. RDG and Razor would be able to explain the material better. A lot different to the clay in the north here.

And over the road was a fleet of ts 14`s doing an industrial subdivision. must admit it looked bloody watching 9 to 12 scrapers working together. never got any pics of A&R`s gear.

I think Bob Hick took over the second stage and was there for some time, last contractor I saw there was JMC at the Pyes Pa end, Heap of komatsu and scoops and quite a few cat scarpers.

Attachments

• Philip 003.jpg
    Philip 003.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 669
  • Philip 002.jpg
    Philip 002.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 666

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Wow,what a great thread.I feel like I am starting all over again,I had no idea how complicated the scraper was in configuration but it all makes sense if you think about it.Thank you for asking the question.Ron G

tctractors

RonG, the tractor and box (pan bin?) that seems to have been hit with a Scud Missile resting on its side, well after the box gets re-mounted onto its 4 points the pilot would be on the thin strand of cable with the Slasher (Muck Shift Forman) not because he tipped the Box over but how he managed to make such a mess on the spot he was working, in the U.K. this is not put up with unless you are on Day-Work with the kit, even then the driver would be the 1 to get rid of at the first chance the Forman had, how he ended up in that tangle would take some understanding as the tractor could turn left or right and controlled that moment easily, its not a good photo of even half handy pilot error.

tctractors

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I have watched good operators do things that I might not try and I have also uprighted a few over the years,easy with an excavator, and have run them myself enough to recognize the dangers but I never knew about flipping the front idlers or that they could even be flipped.I am aware of the shims etc as they affect the stability of the dozer when finish grading such as putting in the road base for paving or maybe a tennis court.I never knew of an owner changing the shims to suit me but I sure could tell if they were worn on the dozer that I was running.I try to go to bostonpowercat every day to hear those old flat track cats blowing smoke and hearing the blowers spin down as they dump the throttles,brings back memories Tony,thanks for the link.Ron G

Razor

Volcanic soils.

Hi phil
The white crap you refer to is` Rotoehu' ash one of the many `Tephera' soils found in the Bay of Plenty area, it is well known for its high moisture content once you start working it the water is released giving it the consistency of runny toothpaste. Take a look at the photo's RDG posted where the TD15 and scoop are bogged down, if you have ever worked in this area chance's are you have been caught out by this material or you have seen another contractor in a similar position. In the photo's D6 & scoop and D155 & scoop bogged on down hill unloading, contouring job at Paengaroa .

Attachments

• 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 574
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 558

Razor

Hi Merv
Looks like a good load , got to love those top layers of ash. Did you convert the scoop yourself, how about a couple more photo's of your girl with the scoop on.
Cheers .

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
scoops a Birtley 70; from TCs homeland :drinkup. Was hopper constructions. They converted it to hyd, along with a 80 and a 435.
Had seen other D6Cs towing string 70s, and my opposition, who you probably know :rolleyes: Renton Foote, known him for 30 odd years and we get on ok has a very tidy hyd converted DW15 scoop behind his D6D so I knew mine could handle it ok. Usually have rippers on, but I just pull the 5 pins and tow off a dummy drawbar on the ripper frame. In soft going it can be too much, but you just take 1/2 loads. D6s are light on there nose so I leave my blade on for abit more extra weight and pull. It turns easily enough with a scoop behind. Only disadvantage is as RDG points out you can,t get as close into the batter. few pics of mine, with a tombstone of clay sticking out. plus one of footes D6D with a allis TS200 scraper he converted to towed.HD6 3.JPGPhoto 2.JPGScooping 9.jpgScooping 7.jpgphoto 1.JPG

Brainzie

good pics phil; whos fleet was that ?? Only person I know with a heap of 7Hs on scoops is bob hick.
were they clutch and brake models, or diff steer. opinions I have heard is diff steer is not that great with a scoop behind, and I quite believe it too.

out of those 6 D7`s merv 3 were diff steer and 3 were clutch and brake, the one I was on was diff steer and I really liked it, spent half a day on a clutch and brake one and couldn't wait to get the diff steer one back. You could cut round a corner with ease. but most of the cuts were set up straight, all those 7`s set up as just scoop tractors were swampys, but only one had the swamp tracks, the rest conventional grousers. whether that made a difference with scoop being diff steer I`m not sure. All I can say is I`d prefer a diff steer over conventional clutch brake. Be good to see how the 15 goes with the scoop on it when its finally plumbed, wont be for a while yet.

Brainzie

RonG, the tractor and box (pan bin?) that seems to have been hit with a Scud Missile resting on its side, well after the box gets re-mounted onto its 4 points the pilot would be on the thin strand of cable with the Slasher (Muck Shift Forman) not because he tipped the Box over but how he managed to make such a mess on the spot he was working, in the U.K. this is not put up with unless you are on Day-Work with the kit, even then the driver would be the 1 to get rid of at the first chance the Forman had, how he ended up in that tangle would take some understanding as the tractor could turn left or right and controlled that moment easily, its not a good photo of even half handy pilot error.

tctractors

Old Selby just lifted the bowl right up once it was full and off, that's how good those scoops slide, hit the windrow on the bottom side and over. not the ideal thing to do(bowl right up ) but it wasn't the first or the last time that happend on that job. :rolleyes:

Brainzie

Cheers Scrub, I agree.

only cost a box of beer if you tipped the scoop, got stuck or knocked peg over. :drinkup

tctractors

Pack of Beer would not get you to far on this rock, 1 Co I have worked for was well known for its 2 strikes and out the door you go rule, the Boss even sacked his own Father for busting the mirror on the LowLoad outfit, it turns out he had smashed a rear light a few years earlier, so in all fareness he had it coming??? this outfit would work you over 70 hours a week with the chance of loads of overtime, the end for this outfit involved a light aircraft crash in the usual U.K. weather, the money was hard earned but you always had your coins, but when the Boss died the Co was shut down by the week end with all the Tractors and kit being sold off exported to Lybia, in the U.K. if your face fails to fit the boot hits your backside regardless.

tctractors

Razor

Cheers Scrub, I agree.

only cost a box of beer if you tipped the scoop, got stuck or knocked peg over. :drinkup

Hi Brainzie
some photos of the katikati golf course job,you will see the 613 in there. in my search for these I have found lots I've taken over the years , will post on new thread .

Attachments

• 016 (2).jpg
    016 (2).jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 660
  • 020 (2).jpg
    020 (2).jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 666
  • 017 (2).jpg
    017 (2).jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 662
  • 018 (2).jpg
    018 (2).jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 666
  • 019 (2).jpg
    019 (2).jpg
    37 KB · Views: 660

brent j

In the early 80's I worked as a fitter for the Wellington City Council. We looked after all the earthmoving equipment and I spent as much time as I could at the dump working on the gear there and learning the basics of operating from some of the older guys.
There was a 613 for bringing down enough fill to cover over the tip face each day. When the 613 was out of service there was a Vickers Onions cable scraper and a D5 with a CCU permanently fitted. I learned how to rope up the scraper (the D5 was used elsewhere most of time) but one thing I cannot remember, how was the ejector returned?

What really impressed me was that the D5 was a manual and the usual operator would run it up and down through the gears with a smoothness of many years of practice. The clutch and brake steering taught me a few quick lessons on how quick a dozer can turn, on a slope, with the weight of a scraper behind. Even after I'd been warned about it

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
In the early 80's I worked as a fitter for the Wellington City Council. We looked after all the earthmoving equipment and I spent as much time as I could at the dump working on the gear there and learning the basics of operating from some of the older guys.
There was a 613 for bringing down enough fill to cover over the tip face each day. When the 613 was out of service there was a Vickers Onions cable scraper and a D5 with a CCU permanently fitted. I learned how to rope up the scraper (the D5 was used elsewhere most of time) but one thing I cannot remember, how was the ejector returned?

What really impressed me was that the D5 was a manual and the usual operator would run it up and down through the gears with a smoothness of many years of practice. The clutch and brake steering taught me a few quick lessons on how quick a dozer can turn, on a slope, with the weight of a scraper behind. Even after I'd been warned about it

There are ejector springs usually in the rear tube that stretch while the gate slides ahead and they return the gate to the rear when the cable is relaxed. I am going to be changing a couple in a DW 21 in the spring.