• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dozer vs Track Loader

bebobe

May I ask a question of the experts here, please?
I do a lot of small clearing around my 150-acre farm, and some light grading, cleaning up fence lines and trails, and such. Very seldom contract work, but I do have other farmland and timberland as well. Right now, I have a PC200 excavator with a thumb, an old JD 455G track loader, a small dump truck, and a compactor. Also, a tractor with a bush hog.
I love the JD loader, but it gets frustrating sometimes pushing up large brush piles since it is so small. I am considering getting a 30k lb dozer like a JD 700K or Komatsu D51PX, and maybe selling the loader. I can grade and smooth up pretty good with the track loader, but I have never run a dozer. Sometimes I can’t get the excavator back in the woods to cut ATV trails so I clear with the loader in the woods most of the time.
Do y'all think a Dozer in that size range would be good for clearing, or should I get a 953 loader? I'm afraid I would be annoyed by limbs scraping down the sides of such an expensive machine. I often reach up with the loader to snap off limbs hanging over the trails.
We are also going to be putting in a 1-acre pond soon, that I will grade myself.
Thanks for your help!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
953 hands down for what you want to do.

If I only had one machine to put food on the table it would be a 953 trackloader.

bebobe

If I only had one machine to put food on the table it would be a 953 trackloader.
I appreciate the reply sir. I have been wondering what a small dozer is like in the woods, I just haven't had the opportunity to try one out.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I appreciate the reply sir. I have been wondering what a small dozer is like in the woods, I just haven't had the opportunity to try one out.

You're welcome. And a late Welcome to the Forums!

Well I have a D5GXL and a 953C that I have used to clear for geotechnical drill rigs. The rigs are mounted on a single axle truck for perspective so the roads are wide enough to drive on.

I would take the loader over the dozer everyday for clearing trees and making trails. It's so much easier to put the trees and brush where you want them. To make a fair comparison a 953 is much larger than a D5 and your 455.

We have a next Gen D3 but it doesn't go in the woods. :)

Mquinista

Such a situation close to mine.
We got a D5H… and we run a farm. The farm just have some cattle and Cork trees.
Before we got the dozer I thought of a 953 too, but then I realize we have a lot of work for dozing and specially pulling the heavy duty harrow. Actually there is always dozing to do around the estate…. After 3 years I never felt the need for a loader…. As we haven’t load anything.

Other factor to consider is maintenance and consumables, besides parts availability, I would never recommend a Komatsu in that sense, CAT has parts everywhere for cheap.

Maintenance in a dozer is much simpler and cheaper than in a loader, or maybe I’m wrong but having to deal with a hydrostatic system is a no go for me.

good luck

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
What he said!

Also a new large compact track loader could move brush around fast using a grapple bucket. If you pull up the trees with your excavator.

The new tl12v2's can do a lot of work and still be moved with a f450. The hydraulic functions and machine speed are fast and they can carry big logs. For plain dirt moving and stumping the the 53/63 will smoke it. The 53 and 63 will also make a large brush pile quick.

I did not see what area you are in but I have seen a few nice 963 loaders online up for sale for fairly decent prices lately.

Last edited:

MG84

What is your location and terrain? If it's fairly flat staying with a larger track loader may be fine. If it's steep and cutting in trails involves benching out along hillsides I greatly prefer a dozer. With that being said, I personally think a dozer with a 6 way blade would round out your equipment fleet better than a track loader. The track loader and excavator overlap in a lot of areas, whereas a 6 way dozer will greatly speed up shaping and finishing and is still plenty capable for light clearing. I use my dozer in the woods all the time, a set of limb risers and screens takes care of those branches.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Im my experience a 953 sized loader works very well cutting in roads on a steep side hill. You can dig into the high side of the bank and build the low side out. But that's why they make all these different kinds of machines.

Tyler d4c

You can dozer with a track loader its hard to load a truck with a dozer. The ditches end up a bit wide. But it will do anything.
Maintenance in a dozer is much simpler and cheaper than in a loader, or maybe I’m wrong but having to deal with a hydrostatic system is a no go for me.
If it makes that clank clank sound when moving its a maintenance queen. With proper maintenance the hydro is every bit as fine as a power shift. They all break

boaterri

Occupation
Retired Television Engineer
A track loader will do most things very well, a dozer can only push and rip. Tyler d4c is right on point.

Welder Dave

I think a track loader twice the size of the JD you have would surprise you with how much more it could do. The hydostats are also a lot more productive. You'd get twice the size and 4 times the production.

bebobe

Man, I really appreciate all the replies. Loading the dump truck is mostly a non issue because I can use the excavator for that. I really was looking forward to being able to tilt a blade when grading for the first time in my life, lol. A 953 would be awesome, I wonder why they are just not popular any more? I guess they are hard to grade with since you can't see the teeth. It took me years to get good at grading with the 455. I can only imagine how nice it would be too look down and see that cutting edge on a dozer.

Tinkerer

For 30 years I ran mostly dozers of all sizes. I also ran track loaders but not nearly as much as dozers.
In your situation I would prefer a 953.
Caterpillar is still selling them.
I think CTL's cut into a lot of the track loader sales. Just a guess.
You don't need to see the teeth on a track loader to do finish grading. You will learn from the feel of the bucket contacting the ground and looking at the position of the bucket from the seat.
The same is true for a dozer.
The tilt and angle blade capability's of a dozer is something you should consider in your choice. IHHO.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Track loaders are still popular here in north central AL. Most residential lots and basements are cut out with one. They work well for basements here since all are walk outs of some sort.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Track loaders are still popular here in north central AL. Most residential lots and basements are cut out with one. They work well for basements here since all are walk outs of some sort.

Interesting how location matters. I don't know when I have last seen a track loader up here, anywhere, and I have never heard of anybody digging a foundation with one.

BC Placer gold

Interesting how location matters. I don't know when I have last seen a track loader up here, anywhere, and I have never heard of anybody digging a foundation with one.
I can see the potential of these machines; but in BC they are exceedingly rare. I have never actually seen one operating.

I do see the odd, really old one parked in a farm.

skyking1

The whole PNW is that way. Nobody has any in the Seattle area. I don't see them out on jobs either. The pits have rubber tired loaders.
It's really funny that way, around here. It gets done with an excavator about 90% of the time. I don't care what it is!

Mark13

I'm not sure where you're at in WI but I don't see many beyond the SE part of the state. I'm just south of the border in IL and track loaders are everywhere. I have a 953 and while running it one day I realized I can think of 11 other track loaders just amongst friends and acquaintances in my immediate area.

Welder Dave

There's several lower hour 953's and 963's coming up in the Nisku RB auction. Mostly D series if I recall. Track loaders are still common here. As for grading, if the return to dig is working makes it easy to have the bucket level for grading.

MG84

You know the capabilities of a track loader, a 953 would be similar but faster. I’d say rent a dozer with a 6 way blade and try it, you’ll know if its the right machine or not. I’m a big fan of track loaders for thier versatility, but since you already have an excavator I think it is a little redundant. The popularity of excavators has cut into the 953/963 market, skid steers cut into the market for the small ones. An excavator and a 6 way dozer is a hard combo to beat IMO.