• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dozer trivia. Let's have some fun

Shawnjohn16

Occupation
Keeping the wife happy
So. I have a new to me dozer. I have to get parts for it. But the problem is I'm not sure what make it is. It does however have a plate.

It has a straight 6 GM and GM tranny from a deuce n a half.
Thing runs great!

It simply says

Government
DU QUEBEC
SERIAL P32154

Hours of due diligence has given me nothing.
Any help or ideas??
image.jpg

wilko

I'm thinking that it's own mother wouldn't recognize it at this point.

Shawnjohn16

Occupation
Keeping the wife happy
Sweet. Pretty sure it's hodgepodge Franken dozer. Maybe I can just figure on getting parts and modifying them. I need idler. Bottom rollers. The clutches are bad. N that's about it.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Huntoon. Interesting. Never heard of Sweco.

It looks like they have done a bit of thinking outside the square.

The operator is positioned pretty much on the fore/aft centre point of the track frame for best ride . . . they are obviously hydrostatic.

Are there many around and, what is the application that would drive a company to develop a machine specifically as a "trail dozer"?

To me it looks ideal for general work on a farm or station . . . sort of somewhere between a dozer and a CTL with proper tracks, depends of course on price and dealer support.

Cheers.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
That machine just doesn't look big enough to run a 6cyl GM & the size of the fuel tank would only allow it to run for an hour or two..........
Anything that did run a 6cyl detroit would usually look 2-3 times bigger!
From the picture angle, there is hardly enough bonnet space for an exhaust - not counting an intake.
Barely has a chassis to deal with the torque that would be produced.
Front idlers look like something of a 60's vintage as well.
Any more pictures Shawnjohn16? More engine & transmission detail please.

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Running gear looks more to be Allis, HD4 size, the grill guard has similarity there too, the rest of it appears home made.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
HD4.jpg

Running gear is a match. Grill guard is older style, engine and trans have to be a transplant.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . alrman.

That machine just doesn't look big enough to run a 6cyl GM

That was my initial thought exactly . . . and then I realised the folks in the 'States use "GM" in a different context.

The poster probably means the thing is running a Chevy six like in a Blitz or early Tojo . . . that language thing again. (he grins)

Cheers.

Last edited:

wilko

Yair . . . Huntoon.

...what is the application that would drive a company to develop a machine specifically as a "trail dozer"?

Cheers.

At a guess, government agencies and people who contract with government agencies.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Gotcha wilko.

Seems like a lot of development money to come up with a product for a limited market.

It appeals to me because I like "different" concepts . . . not necessarily a trait of "government agencies" who you'd think would be more comfortable with some thing "conventional" like a little Cat or Deere.

Cheers.

old1

Occupation
Selfemplyed
GM 6 cylinder engine, Deuce and a half.

Yes, I took the first post from Shawnjohn16; to be the General Motors 269 (270) cu in, gas engine used in the CCKW and later M135 2 1/2 ton trucks. It was also used in the DUKW, Amphibious vehicle, and We had the engine, in a M59 Tracked Carrier, which had two (2)engines, one on each side of the carrier.

There had to be, I don't know, millions of the M135 trucks and variants. Probably built up until about 1960's. But the National Guard used those trucks until the late 60's.

In the M135 it was mated to a GM Hydro-Matic transmission, with a dual range, High/Low. Anybody could drive a M135, No Clutch.

They were tough engines and tough transmissions; just mash the gas and hang on for the harsh shifting.

I drove these and worked on them. Engine and transmission failures were almost unheard of. We always had ignition trouble, (points, coils), and carburetor troubles. I suppose the carb problems were from the trucks setting around a lot, and water in the gas.

That M59 carrier was a hoot. We had to synchronize the 2 engines, oh my God.

With all the Military surplus engines; who knows where these things went. I saw warehouses full of new engine, transmissions, in the late 60's.

old1

Shawnjohn16, didn't really say what kind of transmission the crawler had.

Shawnjohn16

Occupation
Keeping the wife happy
I will get more pics and info. But so far the info you guys have given is great.

The tranny is a 2 speed hydro with reverse. It does indeed have a large engine the picture angle makes it look smaller under the hood. The gas tank is to the left of the driver and the hydraulics to the right. Gas tank is actually quite large compared to what the picture would imply. Thank you do much do far. I will get the serial numbers from the engine tranny.

Puffie40

Undercarriage and chassis looks similar to a Case 450b/c. The inside-mounted c-frame seems to match.

Get some measurements of the undercarriage - Not sure about Case, but Cat, IH and John Deere tended to use slightly different dimensions to prevent brand mixing. the chain pitch and width might give us some hints on the manufacturer and range of models.

5105.jpg

Puffie40

looking at it some more, it might be closer to a early John Deere 350 or 450 - the idler axle and carrier roller positions look like a better match.

the track frames have a piece of reinforcing iron welded to them. I wonder if it was salvaged after a tree landed on it or some other nasty disaster.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I still say HD4 Allis undercarriage

HD4 2.png

One in the game does not have any lower rollers.