• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dozer selection for scraper work.

Shimmy1

Um, a 35 ton dozer when he's looking at 15 tonners? Might be a bit big. I also think dragging a scraper around with a hydro would be problematic. I think a 41 is T/C drive, so you might be fine there, but personally I believe that 41 would stuggle with a 9 yd pan. Maybe Twisted will weigh-in with his opinion of a 41.

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
Um, a 35 ton dozer when he's looking at 15 tonners? Might be a bit big. I also think dragging a scraper around with a hydro would be problematic. I think a 41 is T/C drive, so you might be fine there, but personally I believe that 41 would stuggle with a 9 yd pan. Maybe Twisted will weigh-in with his opinion of a 41.
41 closer to 10 ton without blade probably lighter . Too small I think . Dozer I mentioned had been doing that sort of work with another of the same model . !55 was matched to a scoop and that was available as well . Another for sale the the moment , D8K would do the job , converter rebuilt to , again , dragging a scoop . And it had retro air conditioning fitted .

Shimmy1

41 closer to 10 ton without blade probably lighter . Too small I think . Dozer I mentioned had been doing that sort of work with another of the same model . !55 was matched to a scoop and that was available as well . Another for sale the the moment , D8K would do the job , converter rebuilt to , again , dragging a scoop . And it had retro air conditioning fitted .
Not trying to be a Debbie-downer, but one breakdown with either the 155 or 8K and Olly would be out of business, even if he got them for free.

deerert295

A little late here but a 750j John Deere has great cooling much better than d5h or d6 Cor D prolly d6 m as well. Think n went to larger torque converter.but I can tell you a 750j will boil full loads haul full speed in hard clay with Ashland 110 direct mount which is rated 11.5 yard .I like to have plenty of tractor for the load to many oversize pans out there now for anything other than fluffy dry topsoil.

Shimmy1

A little late here but a 750j John Deere has great cooling much better than d5h or d6 Cor D prolly d6 m as well. Think n went to larger torque converter.but I can tell you a 750j will boil full loads haul full speed in hard clay with Ashland 110 direct mount which is rated 11.5 yard .I like to have plenty of tractor for the load to many oversize pans out there now for anything other than fluffy dry topsoil.
Isn't Deere hydrostatic? Anyhow, you pull a pan with a 750J? I've always heard hydro machines struggle with pans. Guess that's another myth, eh?

deerert295

complete myth excellent cooling on a2005 750j first year production 145fwh 90 degree weather full bore all day long

deerert295

the d5h. d6m or n deere 750j all 32 to 34k machines with su blade long undercarriage. Cat went to two different d6 sizes with the 6n.the 6r or t are approx 8k heavier more horse of course.the d5m was basically same frame as a d4h bout 25k lb machines 5m was pulling the 9and half yard Ashland on youtube referred to earlier in thread.750j will cool better than any and stall out less than the tc machines in my unbiased experience and opinion lol.

Olly

Thank you Gentlemen! I'm very grateful for the input (@deerert295 - not too late at all!). I'm till looking for a machine. I have been searching for a tidy D6C with scoop. It's taking much longer than I would like. Still hopeful I can have something onsite early Jan. Thanks for your comments. Haven taken them on board! :).

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
Thank you Gentlemen! I'm very grateful for the input (@deerert295 - not too late at all!). I'm till looking for a machine. I have been searching for a tidy D6C with scoop. It's taking much longer than I would like. Still hopeful I can have something onsite early Jan. Thanks for your comments. Haven taken them on board! :).
There were a couple for sale in the Manawatu this year , there was backend options but don't recall if a PCU was one of them.

Olly

Hi Guys, I finally purchased a machine and wanted to swing back by this thread and say a big thanks to you all for your input! Without it, i would have been putting a good few hours on a D41 + scoop, and likely regretting it...
I couldn't find a tidy D6C with a 3way (had a broker looking as well), and with the ground already starting to dry out again, I went ahead and purchased what I could find; a D8H/scoop. The machine looks to be in very tidy order. If she can just hold together this season, I'll have done well (payed half of what it would have cost to hire for the season). Again, I just wanted to say thanks!!

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
Hi Guys, I finally purchased a machine and wanted to swing back by this thread and say a big thanks to you all for your input! Without it, i would have been putting a good few hours on a D41 + scoop, and likely regretting it...
I couldn't find a tidy D6C with a 3way (had a broker looking as well), and with the ground already starting to dry out again, I went ahead and purchased what I could find; a D8H/scoop. The machine looks to be in very tidy order. If she can just hold together this season, I'll have done well (payed half of what it would have cost to hire for the season). Again, I just wanted to say thanks!!
Hope it works out for you , I've noticed a few "heavy's" for sale with scoops , at least a D8 will do in 2 hours what a 41 will do in a day . Hope you keep us up to date on this , its a big punt by any measure .

Olly

I confess, I've developed a few nervous ticks... The machine has had a little bit of wk done - had a good chat with the guys who did the work.
In the last 1000 hrs
- New heads
- New combustion chambers
- New valve guides and valves with springs
- New water pump
- Oil coolers and radiators serviced
- Torque converter rebuilt
- Transmission rebuilt
- Some new plates
- New clutch pack
- New track chains
- All new rollers and undercarriage
- New sprocket segments
If she does 3000hrs before I need to start writing (big) checks I'll be a very happy CAT owner. Gives me more time to hunt for a tidy D6C with a 3 way.
Unless Shimmy1's prophecy comes true... :oops:
Thanks again!

John. New to this site.
Looking for technical help on the required modifications to make a dozer (possibly D9R, or D10N) fit-for-purpose as a constant pulling tractor in agriculture; transmission selection, front idler adjustment, hydraulics, ballast redistribution, etc.
Are you familiar with the transition?
The last point I can make is that neither machine was made for continuous pulling. There is a reason so many direct drive clutch machines were used in the ag industry opposed to torque converters.

Shimmy1

John. New to this site.
Looking for technical help on the required modifications to make a dozer (possibly D9R, or D10N) fit-for-purpose as a constant pulling tractor in agriculture; transmission selection, front idler adjustment, hydraulics, ballast redistribution, etc.
Are you familiar with the transition?
I am not sure you would ever want to run a 10 as anything but a dozer, the undercarriage cost would choke the biggest pocketbook into submission, a 9 isn't much better.

.RC.

I have heard stories, no idea if true that people have fitted a lock up converter out of a scraper to D10's to use them for blade plough work. It is probably just a fairy tale story, but you never know.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Finals can handle
Pushes for a period of time, heat is removed as machine backs away and load removes, cannot get that heat reduction in steady state pull.
Be better off with the largest Challenger series

Finals can handle
Pushes for a period of time, heat is removed as machine backs away and load removes, cannot get that heat reduction in steady state pull.
Be better off with the largest Challenger series
Challenger series negate the compaction benefit a steel track tractor offers; which is why we’re considering a return to crawler dozers.