• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

dozer op dices with death

diggerop

Occupation
Plant operator, coal mining/ 25 years
The only photo I could find, the small pic in the bigger one is the one to look at, I'm pretty sure the excavator is a Hitachi 3600.:eek:

Attachments

• Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 2,461

curly

Occupation
loader operator
I'm a little perplexed, if he was ok and they had the dozer pinned why didn't the operator just unbuckle and make the little climb down and hitch a ride to the shop? Just the same glad he's ok!

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
This operator wasn't quite so lucky. The news reports did not really explain what happened, but it seems he must have fallen off the machine and then over the edge of the cut. This happened last month at Liegh Creek, a coal mine in the north of South Australia. Seems like it is a dangerous occupation, operating dozers.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/09/25/2374188.htm

Rn'R.

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
I'm a little perplexed, if he was ok and they had the dozer pinned why didn't the operator just unbuckle and make the little climb down and hitch a ride to the shop? Just the same glad he's ok!

You take a look at that picture? That ledge is virtually straight up and down (as is the dozer). You'd be doing good to even get outta the cab! Not to mention if you DID manage to get out, then what are you going to do? He's still a pretty good drop to the bottom (which seems to be covered with large rocks).

If I just fell off of something and when I opened my eyes I wasn't dead yet, I'd be sitting tight until they came for me that's for sure! Wouldnt be much point in getting lucky by stopping halfway down and then breaking your neck trying to climb out.

Sparffo

Occupation
Demolition contractor
Bulldozer driver??? That's his problem, couldn't find the wheel.:Banghead

this is so typical news paper... everything from a lawn mover to a CAT 777 is called bulldozer :Banghead

to bad to hear about these accidents, but those kind of things usually can happen if you are working tired or in the worst case drunk.

going down the cliff with a D11 would be quite scary, i would at least **** in my pants:D

curly

Occupation
loader operator
maybe the driver wasnt the fittest of guys

Good point!

You take a look at that picture? That ledge is virtually straight up and down (as is the dozer).

But that pile is right under him. Presuming he is in mildly decent shape it should be no issue to open the cab door and climb down onto the coal pile.

mouse

Occupation
(wishfully) avoiding work as much as possible
its a good sized excavator they used to pin the machine... wonder how much damage the bucket did??

i'd stay put, i'd reckon the safety procedures onsite say you stay put. obviously the guy was observed or in contact on the radio and i reckon he'd no choice but to stay put.

while you are in the dozer you are 'safe' enough, once you get out who knows whats gunna come down on you.

Haul-Pak

This Kind or thing happens more often than you think ...

Recently they rolled a D11R off a cliff type bank. 30mts it rolled and the ROPS held on, Driver was ok but the machine had some damage. (Seat Belts .... Save lives)

Deas Plant

Presuming???????????????????

Hi, Curly.

Good point!

But that pile is right under him. Presuming he is in mildly decent shape it should be no issue to open the cab door and climb down onto the coal pile.

May I suggest that you take a D11R dozer, stand it on its butt end with you in the cab and try for yourself to see how UN-easy it might be to get yourself out and safely back down on the ground. ALL the hand-holds and foot-steps are designed and placed to be used when the machine has its tracks relatively firmly planted on more or less HORIZONTAL terra firma. They are not nearly as much use when the machine is standing on its butt.

Just my 0.02.

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
this is so typical news paper... everything from a lawn mover to a CAT 777 is called bulldozer :Banghead

to bad to hear about these accidents, but those kind of things usually can happen if you are working tired or in the worst case drunk.

going down the cliff with a D11 would be quite scary, i would at least **** in my pants:D

there was a large feed truck that collided with an interlink rig, and a mighty "BOOM!!" was heard by all.

A female spokesperson for the SAPS said that the mighty boom was a result of an explosion of the petrol tank.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Thats the trouble with reversing cameras, just cos there is nothing on the screen, dont mean theres nothing there :eek:

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Trying to get out of the cab door, which opens back while holding on and trying not to fall, would be quite a trick, especially hanging vertically and scared sh*tless!
Oops, I just re-read and saw it was nose up. And that he fell out....

Last edited:

diggerop

Occupation
Plant operator, coal mining/ 25 years
I would think you would have a lot of people telling you to stay put ! - Might also want to use that time to think of a an explanation

I'd be staying put to, it would be pretty awkward to climb down,big steel doesn't offer much of a grip and the last couple of meters would be a drop or jump onto big blocky, unstable material. Not saying that it couldn't be done, but the wise thing would be stay there and get out safely and not stuff up again. If I see any more reports I'll post them.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
In a precarious situation like that, you stay in your seat, and keep your seat belt on. The cab is designed to protect the operator in case the machine finishes its fall.
get out of the machine and the machine gives way and flattenes you, slip off the machine while climbing out, break something jumping off, slide / fall off the pile when you land. Besides what would you gain by getting out of the machine early?

OneWelder

I was not implying he should have gotten out- in fact i feel just the opposite- he easily could have hit his head, been in shock with an injury not knowing it. whether it could be done or not would depend alot on ones age & condition- I could not.