• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dozer advice

PepeLp

Hi, I'm looking for a dozer and need some advice.

I live on a ranch and need a dozer to clean out stock tanks, repair roads, and occasionally clear brush. I might put in some new stock tanks, but not many. The brush is typically 8 foot tall bushy cedar trees, I wouldn't be pushing a bunch of them.

I'm looking at a Case 850D. Is this big enough to do the work listed above? I can take my time doing the work, but I don't want to take a week to clean out a tank.

Thanks.

Trashman

Occupation
Garboligist
How big are the tanks and what state do you live in?.....it will make a difference in my recommendation.

terrasmooth

Hi, I'm looking for a dozer and need some advice.

I live on a ranch and need a dozer to clean out stock tanks, repair roads, and occasionally clear brush. I might put in some new stock tanks, but not many. The brush is typically 8 foot tall bushy cedar trees, I wouldn't be pushing a bunch of them.

I'm looking at a Case 850D. Is this big enough to do the work listed above? I can take my time doing the work, but I don't want to take a week to clean out a tank.

Thanks.

The 850D should work fine... my preference would be a Caterpillar D-6. Parts availability is very important, especially on a used machine.:)

goodwin

Occupation
beef producer
There should be the odd D6C around at reasonable prices(20k) there simple and robust,- look for a direct drive with the turbo 3306 engine for preference
if not whatever you can get, just watch out for rare machines, they cost the earth to repair(check out my posts in graders about galion graders)
but you cant go wrong with a cat d6 for your type of work.they are by far the most popular machine for that type of work in the outback.
good luck with it,
goodwin

oldirt

my advise is hire it done. you get a man who is experienced enough to satisfy you, and you can write it all off. when he is done all the iron leaves and you have no worries.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
^^^Trying to get more work? A lot of ranchers in TX have their own dozers for doing such things.

850 will be fine, but we used an old D6 on our ranch.