• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

double d9h or g push tractors

fiat41b

Ok its called the dd9 or quad
how about a full detail on the steering system on these push tractors (Peterson)
pics, and info
to watch the videos it almost seems like the operators have differential steer type lever as they are single lever equipped
too bad the don't have differential steer that would be cool.
Angle seats and all these would be great pull pan tractors

sled dog

Parts book for Quad-Track D9 tractor, arrang. # 3S4601, SN # 66A3266-up. From what I can see, both tractors are modified for air controls. Directional control mounted on guard left hand side of seat. Steering clutch control valve mounted on console left hand side of seat. Dual air treadle valves for governor control. ( Decel ) ? Not sure where weight transfer control is mounted,air over hydraulic, controls nose cylinder on rear tractor. I find 12 air lines between front and rear tractor. Show 5 lines on the weight transfer valve, 4 lines on steering clutch valve, 6 lines on directional control. Not all lines from all valves go to rear.Twin governor treadle valves tee together after a check valve. A guess, and only a guess would be a way to run both with one pedal. Sure would be swell to crawl all over one and see exactly, wouldn't it ?

d9gdon

I think this is a good video, not sure if you can tell anything from it.

They're getting scarce nowadays.

fiat41b

That's the video thanks for putting it up on here d9gdon they are awesome.
sled dog that's a pretty good slug of info. and yes it sure would be Swell to check one out.
I have a 9h and a 8k and a d7f and had a few d8h's' with the steering clutch levers and foot brakes same as 9g
the later 7g 8k 9h steering can be done by hand only if you prefer, I still like to apply light pressure on the foot levers.
I thought i read there is only one brake lever on the foot out of the three which would be the left foot lever other two would be throttle like a double barrel pan.
I knew these quads used air that single lever steer looks easier and smooth.
wish I could see pictures up close.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I think this is a good video, not sure if you can tell anything from it.

They're getting scarce nowadays.

This video looks relatively new but I have a hard time figuring how it would be economical to support this machine today or what job site would allow it to run with the umbrella ROPS system.

fiat41b

Sled dog now that's detail
the leed tractor by itself would be cool for many different task
is that d9g ?
is the H the same steering set up
looks like I was right on the foot pedals.

sled dog

Fiat, I found a pic of the original Peterson prototype. It shows 4 pedals, but no explanation or diagram. There are some fascinating pics out there if you google Dual D9. One shows a Dual pulling a ripper with another Dual pushing. 4 9's on 1 shank. Horsepressure !!! Lets see what we can find on the SXS 9. What say you ? Sleddog

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I would laugh my tail off if those air controls were made by Wabco. The transmission control looks real similar to the trans control and elevator control (made by Wabco) on the Terex S-35E's. Although in fairness those were made by a different division of Westinghouse Air Brake Co.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
There was a reserected DD9 that was brought back from Alaska I believe, owned by Peterson Tractor at Santa Margarita, CA over Memorial day weekend. The event was the Best of the West Show and was also this years national show of the Antique Caterpillar Machinery Owners Club (ACMOC) . It was doing due diligence push loading a 660 Cat scraper until it had a idler issue and sat out the third day. A real cool machine for sure. I love the scncronized black smoke from the twin stacks when the governor kicks in. Lots of pics and video at the ACMOC BB.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .
Back in the late sixties some fellers here stuffed around hooking two D8h's up. They reckoned back tractor only needed gear shift and throttle, the front tractor did the steering.

Dunno it was only hearsay.

Cheers.

Reactions: LDK

old-iron-habit

Occupation
There is a U-tube video showing the DD9 pushing the 660 at the Best of the West show. I'm not smart enough to post a link on my phone but search for DD9g at Best of the West and it will come up. Also check Glens otber posts of the newly built double 2U D8 and other cool pieces.

sled dog

Yair . . .
Back in the late sixties some fellers here stuffed around hooking two D8h's up. They reckoned back tractor only needed gear shift and throttle, the front tractor did the steering.

Dunno it was only hearsay.

Cheers.
Hey Scrub, first off just want you to know what a joy it is to read any of your posts. Always look forward to anything of yours I see. I'm an old timer also, and I too know and love the sound of a Direct Drive workin. And I know the correct way to light one off with a pony motor, and the chirp chirp of a cable control talking to you all day. You realize we are dating ourselves, and those things are a part of history now. As far as the 2 8's with no rear steer, think about that for a minute. I've spent enough time on pushcats to know that with 1 you can steer the rear of the scraper pretty much where you want. Double pushin the rear tractor can steer the first tractor to a point. I think if that unsteered rear was just a little out of line, it would take you sideways. Man, lets borrow a couple and see what happens. How 'bout it ?

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .
Gotcha sled dog. Thanks for the kind words.

Yes I hear you and think the same about the steering. I think the application (if it worked) was to get more horsepower onto a chain for clearing. I don't see how it would have worked for that either.

I believe one outfit played around pulling with four D8's hooking up like push-pull scrapers but that was never going to work.

We did very well though with three tractors on one chain . . . or rather a main chain and a leader in the centre.

There is not much that hasn't been tried and cost folks time and money. (grins)

Cheers.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Gotta think on how hard that would be on track frames and finals with two pushing not necessarily always directly inline.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Here's a few pictures of the DD9 linkage. When the steering clutches are pulled they hydraulically actuate opposite corners, as in left front/right rear track so the steer like a articulate machine.

Attachments

• 2017-06-09 08.26.14.jpg
    2017-06-09 08.26.14.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 2017-06-09 08.26.46.jpg
    2017-06-09 08.26.46.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 2017-06-09 08.27.13.jpg
    2017-06-09 08.27.13.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 48

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Here's the link to the DD9 video at Santa Margarita on Memorial Day weekend.

try again

https:m.youtube.com/watch?v=8wukSvluoSA

Last edited: