• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Double Clutch Down Shifting CDL Test

12 Wyoming

Any help will be appreciated!!!!!! Test is Wednesday at 3:00 and I have to double clutch. I am doing great upshifting and not to bad down shifting, but every once in a while I get hung up. I know most all of you have been there before, and would like too know any secrets.
I do fine with the clutch in, gear netural, clutch out. After that it gets fuzzy sometimes. I know road speed needs to be down to match the gear, and I know I need to rev the engine some what. How much? and is it a quick rev?

I am doing good so far, and will have some driving time on Sunday, and Monday before the test to get things worked out. If anything fails me it will be this ( out of gear too long).

My first day behind the wheel has been the only day that I cried like a school girl! Lol. Things are much better now!

N-14 Celect with an Eaton Road Ranger 9 Speed.

telescooper

I don't operate trucks to regular, But will try to help. Don't clutch to deep and get into your clutch brake, it will throw everything off. Don't panic when you blow a gear everybody did it at least once. When it happens don't try to get every gear in the box, don't panic. Check your road speed and think what gear you should be in, bring your engine RPM's to where they will go into that gear. On a grade things can change in a hurry. On a down shift you must first ask yourself ,is that next gear attianable. I always try to use my tach to make a shift, Say down shift at 1200 bring them up to 1700 put it in gear (just an example). Down shifting is just the reverse of up shifting. Down shifting more RPM's for the next gear, Up shifting RPM's drop for the next gear. Hope this helps, and don't confuse. Somebody help.
Telescooper

will_gurt

Charter Member
Occupation
operator in extended holding pattern
Basically you want to increase the RPM's around 300 from what you are running in to downshift. The way I was taught on upshifting is 1300 RPM for the low side and 1600 RPM on the high side. The reasoning for this was this is where the engine is most economical and generating the maximum tourque. Any faster and really all you are doing is wasting fuel.

12 Wyoming

I won't have any steep grades to deal with. Just slight declines to get to an on ramp I 80, declines for an off ramp ect. The declines where you need to brake to get the speed down to get to the next lower gear really mess me up. It's hard to rev the engine with the foot on the brake? And all the rest to think about.

telescooper

If you are trying to down shift going down hill you have to slow down further because your truck will gain some speed. Slow down more then what you need take your foot off the brake and bring up your engine RPM's. You must becareful doing this if the grade steep, if you blow a shift and can't quickly recover, you might not be able to get your ride back into gear. As a rule of thumb when decending grades you should be in one gear lower than it took to climb it. I know you stated that it is flat where you are, but you won't always be driving on flat roads.

telescooper

Oh, if the grade is steep for future referance get your gear before you get there.

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
On a 9 speed, you are probably about 500 rpms between gears. Keep this in mind when shifting. When going down a hill and down shifting, the vehicle will gain a little speed, so you might have to rev it up 600 rpm to match gears. Conversly, when going uphill, you might only have to let it drop 400 rpm to match gears.
To find out what the normal rpm change is when on the flat, look at the rpm guage when doing a normal upshift and see how much it drops. This is usually the rpm change in all the gears, unless you have an overdrive tranny, and then the higher gears might be a little more.
The Fuller 9 speed is an easy to shift tranny. If your aren't already, you will soon be shifting without the clutch. If you are already good shifting without the clutch and it is just the double clutching that is causing the problem, ask the inspector if you can shift without the clutch once you have demonstrated a few times that you can use it. Most inspectors will allow this. They just want you to demonstrate that you know how to double clutch.
As mentioned before, when shifting with the clutch, you only depress it partway as a full depression engages the clutch brake.
Just keep calm and think things through during the test. You'll do fine.
Good luck.

12 Wyoming

You all have been ALOT of help. Thanks.
I will try some of the things out today and see how it goes. I started out float shifting because that is how my driver told me, but found out I had better learn to double clutch or I will be docked points, so here we are.
After watching rons video, I think I am nailing the fuel and blowing right by the hole. Most of the time I do fine, just get flustered and get hung up occasionally.

Truck Question? During my air brake test, when I get down to 25 or so pounds my dash valve is not popping out. I cleaned the shaft up and put some electrical grease on it but it is still not working. I am going to change the Dash Valve today, but if that doesnt work I will be at a loss. Anything else that will cause this? My air system and parking brakes are working fine otherwise.

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
playing with the new 247 MTL
It would take less than 25 pounds, my trucked popped the valve at 15 psi and it goes faster if you really pump the brake pedal fast and hard, I made that mistake once on the pre-trip in my last lesson and I did it right on the test.

dirt digger

Occupation
pushing dirt, baling hay, and hitting the books
25 pounds?....it should be higher then that when it pops...ours usually pops (on all 6 of our trucks) at 35-40psi and the buzzers come on at 60

dirt digger

Occupation
Ron that first video was really good...i wish i would have saw that before i got behind the wheel of a road ranger for the first time

P Backus

There's already a lot of good advice here. Ultimately double clutching and shifting any "crash box" is a "feel" thing. With practice and an understanding of how the engine/transmission/clutch/road speed work together, you will get better in time.

I just took and passed my CDL maybe 2 months ago, so here's some other advice:
Keep both hands on the wheel when turning corners.
Check mirrors before and after the turn.
Stop BEHIND the big white line and then creep forward at a stop sign.
A yellow light is really pretty much a RED light accrording to the DMV- so stop.
Don't speed.
Get into the right lane after a left turn onto a 4-lane, or anytime you are on multi-lanes.
Flashers on when backing.

Those are things that everyone knows, but if you've been driving anything for a while, you have probably gotten out of the habit. Those are the things that took me down the first time, not how well I could handle the truck, or back to a dock, or shift. Even on my pretrip I only missed one little thing.
I guess my point is that I was worried about all the wrong things. had someone told me what to watch for, I'd have gotten it right the first time. At least in my state, you have to blow a shift 5 times before they even start counting points against your score, so it's not too big of a deal.

Above all, take your time. It ain't no race. Slow down early, and that will give you time to downshift without panic. You can feather the throttle to find the sweet spot- it doesn't have to be to the floor to downshift. Just don't coast in neutral for too long. Take your foot off the brake and do the shift, then go back to braking.

I suppose every tester is different and every individual is different and has different types of experience. Just relax and do your best.

Paul

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
playing with the new 247 MTL
My tester was so incredibly dumb, he didn't even bother to look at what my hands were doing while I was doing the "under-the-truck" brake check, I forgot to push the parking brake valve back in and while I was under the truck, I realized my "error" and I just kept calling out "wheel #3, 1/2-2/4" travel, #5, 1/2-3/4 etc, etc." Even after he passed me, he didn't even bring it up.

12 Wyoming

Well Im back. Long day. The Dash Valve kicked my a**. 3 1/2 hrs to change it, but its done and it works. 20 to 15 psi it pops out like a rocket.

Then came the fun part! Started out driving with my mind somewhere else I guess, it sure wasn't on shifting. My first 3 upshifts were like it was my first day. My Driver said pull over now. We chated for about 10 minutes and off we go. Drove like a want to be pro. Did I say that dash valve kicked my A** LOL.

Anyway, My problem has been trying to downshift with my speed too fast for the gear, and not letting the clutch out all the way after I take it out of gear. We practiced that, and tickiling the throttle. I will say that I have alot more respect for you guys that do know what the hell your doing! Lol.
All day practice tomorrow, and test wednesday.

P Backus, thanks for your test advice !!!.

Anyone with any test advice, give it too me please! Lol. I want to pass this thing so bad. On the first try that is.

dirt digger

Occupation
don't shift in the middle of an intersection or over a railroad
always check your mirrors
make sure the instructor is wearing his seat belt
take close notes if you go over a bridge or under one, when you get to the other side i can guaranty he will ask the weight limit or height if it was posted
also don't forget to put the keys in your pocket during pre-trip

pre-trip and the cones course really are the worst parts..the road test was cake

NateV

Occupation
Excavating
Take a look at my post i made a while back and see if anything on there helps you. It all takes time but you will get the hang of it. When i first started i was like you, i could do the up shift good, but the down was what screwed me up. But after a while it will come to you. Hey if i can do it you should be able to do it. I passed on the first try. The tester said he thought i was the youngest that he has passed which i thought was pretty cool to hear since im only 18.

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=5162

edit: also everything digger just said.

12 Wyoming

Thanks Nate. It must be that you youngsters don't have as many mental issues as us older folks. Like loss of memory! Alzimers at 46 Lol.
Every reply I get something out of.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
With your downshifting problem of going too fast,either slow down your road speed some or increase your revs,or a combo of each until you find the sweet spot that will allow no grinding.I have the identical tranny---you have to stay focused and you will be fine,but the first hot woman you see will almost always screw you up.Twin rotating countershafts with no synchros need a deft touch.Good luck.