• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Doing it the Hardway

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I remember seeing rigs like that when I was a kid. That is one tough way to make a living. They had 1 tons with lift axles and a manual swing "jib" with a winch attached to it, like the truck in the video, to drag and load logs.

mitch504

Back in '91, I thought I wanted to be in the cypress and specialty sawmill business. I had a 1976 F600 that had a swinging jib made from half of a truck rear axle mounted vertically behind the cab with a short pipe attached to the hub for a boom. The winch was just a drum on a shaft mounted on 2 bearings on the truck frame. There was a sprocket on this shaft and a chain went to a shaft that was directly connected to a PTO. you put the PTO in gear, and your foot off the clutch was cable in, mash the clutch, the cable freespooled. There was no brake or hold on this winch.

This was obsolete before I got it, but it was the way a lot of wood was hauled for 30 yrs here. With some practice 2 men could load 10 tons of wood in 15 minutes.

On most crews, the only communication between the tong setter and operator was a shouted "H'YUP!!!".

If the clutch was down, it meant get off it. If the clutch was up, it meant mash it.