• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Does this truck have good power?? Mack w/427

Fastdirt

Last year I bought a nice L9000 tandem to pull my machine. It has a Cummins L10 and as much as I want to keep running it, it just doesn't have enough pull. For now, I want to get into a truck with big power for cheap. My master plan is to buy a Peterbilt with 550 HP from Triple R or similar but not right now. I am looking at a Mack CH with the E427. I haven't driven it yet, but I test drove a E460 empty and couldn't tell. I drove a Granite for years pulling a 30,000lb machine and it was so pathetic climbing hills that I wanted to drive it off a clifff. It had a Mack 400 w/auto trans. It would fly empty though. I want to know if the E427 is really strong. I just don't have experience with that engine. Anyone know how they pull? Is it the same as the 460 and 454? Can it be turned up? I took that Granite 400hp to Mack several times and they'd dyno it and take our money but always some Mack politics would surface about the issue never getting solved...or maybe it was fine and just gutless. Of course I've never heard anyone say Mack engines were great on power.

Fastdirt

Because pulling 20 tons behind a 12 ton truck is a lot for an engine. I just don't know if the 427 is strong. I know all the Macks I've driven are not strong pullers but I just don't have any experience with the 427. To me it's worth it.

Fastdirt

What tranny is it running? and what tranny did or do you have in your L9000? More gears makes it nicer for hills

They are both 8 speed. I'd like to have 10 or 13. If you drop two gears up a hill w an 8 speed you're going slow....very slow.

TCS

Well if it is of any value to you I used to run quite often with a guy that had and still has a CH-Mack with a 427 and a 13 speed. My truck at the time had a 400hp Cummins big cam four,high output Holset turbo and a 10 speed.We never hauled less than 80,000# in hilly New England terrain and that 427 used to do very well on the hills.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I have Mack E7 350's and a 400. Both are full mechanical. these two pull good.the 400 is turned up as is one of the 350's. I can't complain. As the the 427, that is an electronic. It is also going to depend on what year it is and how much emissions garbage is on it.

freedom digger

Fastdirt,
I have a 2003 Granite with the e427 8LL trans. It pulls strong but unlike other macks I 've driven you it doesn't lug way down.If you drop below 1200 rpm on a hard pull you will fall out of the turbo a need to drop two gears.I live in the Green Mountains of Vermont.My last truck was a Gmc General with 475 hp detroit 8v92 silver, 13 over trans.The Mack will pull the same hills with the same load a couple of mph faster and a lot quieter.
I've been told that it can be turned up to a 454 by swapping the injectors an turbo but that is a crap load of money to spend when at the end of the day I still get paid by the hour.

Fastdirt

Well thanks for the first hand report guys. Sounds like it is a good engine. The Mack CH is a great looking truck with a wide cab and long hood. I've seen some CH's with HIGH miles for $20k. They're older for that price but that CH design is still being made and like that a lot. Most used Mack dumps for sale are the RD's w 300hp range but you can find a few Mack's with the 427/460. Not bad for the money. Course it cost 20K to rebuild

cetane

The CH is a tractor model. What are you doing with the truck? Is it going to be a heavy haul tandem dump, or just a tandem, single axle tractor? You can get a used tractor with C-12's or N14's, and DD series 60's for $10000 on great shape. The used truck market is in the crapper so there is super deals all around, if your just buying.

Fastdirt

Most CH's are tractors but you see quite a few CH tandem dumptrucks in this area. I just pull my machine and occasional hauling.

The reason the CH seemed appealing was the horse power and it's a great looking truck. There are some deals out there but it's nothing special if it's just a lateral move. I just happened into an owner of a CH Dumptruck at the bbq place for lunch and he started talking to me after seeing my dumptruck outside. He had been in the business since 1970 so I figured I'd just take my time and let him talk. He owned a CH w the E460. My question was, is it powerful, and his head shaking left to right while eating answered that. Then my second question or statement was "I mean a Mack 427 doesn't compare to a Cat 425 does it" and he said they don't compare. He said it was the same motor as the 300 hp range motor. He repeated it was just a stretched out motor a few times.

I've decided to just continue to make my truck more likable/reliable for a year or two till I can make a substantial move.