• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Does anyone know where to get one of these fuel gauges please?

viking1

OK, those are used on every propane tank made from 1940 until about 1980 and are referred to as a "Senior" gauge and the part you are looking for is called a "dial". Go to your friendly propane supplier and they should have one like it. The markings will probably be different but the needle will still work. They are not cheap normally, but probably best to just go get one you can hold in your hand and see that it fits.

Many of the senior dials have ears with four slots for bolts to drop in but many or most have the two screws so the dial can be removed from the 4 prong adapter and put into your gauge.

I think that would be the right thing, too, if you can get it. The one in the picture is Rochester part number 5-01023. Maybe call them if you can't get it from Cat. That is if the Cat markings are right. http://www.rochestergauges.com/

You are correct Sir; I can definitely make out the large "R" in there (but that's it). I will peruse the site and see if I can find one that will work. I REALLY really appreciate all the great help I've gotten at this wonderful forum; thx a lot guys..... :)

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
If needed you could also glue the small one you got down to the center of the gauge, you would just have to find through trial and error what the correct orientation is for proper orientation of the needle.