• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Does anyone have operated a track loader with a side dump bucket?

pwbsmokey

Occupation
Not in the field anymore, but miss it
side dump bucket for demolition

Around here in the 1970's and 80's Cat 977's with side dump buckets were very popular for tearing down houses in the city. We would weld a tooth to the top of the bucket on the side that would open (not the hinge side), then open the bucket sideways and reach up and hook beams and rafters with it. Back up and break them or pull them down, then keeping the bucket open tip the bucket forward and collapse the side walls in. Just keep walking up your debris pile working your way forward. We also had a box beam mounted across the top of the bucket that we could slide out and pin into place. This had a piece of cutting edge welded to it and we would use it if we needed more reach. Again open your bucket, reach up and then tip your bucket forward and you could cut rafters like you were using a hatchet. Once the house was on the ground, we would grind it up and load it out. Fill your bucket, back straight back and you would be alongside a dumptrailer, sidedump into the trailer, lower your bucket and drive straight into the debris pile and refill your bucket. These were two and a half story homes in the city, on very narrow lots. It was not unusual to be able to stand between two houses with your arms stretched out to the sides, and be able to touch both houses.

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Found this site with some pictures of the use of a side tipping bucket.
http://www.tungtransport.com/T.engene.htm

Halfway down the side there is 10 pictures of the use of a sidetipping bucket.
Both inside the tunnel, loading the blasted rock and outside in daylight.

And take a closer look at the Mercedes turning inside the tunnel!
The length of the trailer is desided by the width of the tunnel.
The trailer got a lift on the front axle to cope with the turning. U save some tires on that.;)

This firm got a lot of trucks and trailers for this purpose, they move around from tunnel site to site.(glad i quit the tunnel driving 16 years ago!)
There is also a link on the bottom showing a big pics of a loaded truck/trailer.
These trailers got special axels with a very high payload.:eek:
Mekanical lift with sylinders on the front axle.

If u press the "lastebiler" link at top left, u get some transport firms and their equipment. Huge amount of pics, mostly special transport.:)

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
That looks like their L220C.;)

But they got some L330's with sidetiping buckets too....:cool:
They got a L330c for sale, 60 ' $, the sidetipping bucket for that machine goes for 30'.14500h.

They are loading 60 000lbs in the trailers on the pics.(30t):)

dynahoescott

:rolleyes: equipment fan we use them in the fields so we dont waste stone especially clear stone,there beautiful to backfill the trenches and to bring me stone only a ton or two,,,,,,,,,,,

Hi equipment fan, around my part of the woods, basically every loader from a 966 and down are equipped with side dumps . Upon occasion you even run into a track loader equipped with a side dump. I personnally ran one on a 977l petrillo had, and I saw them on 955, 963 and one on a 951c and the guy told me he interchanges that bucket on a 930 wheel loader routinely, very smart man I recall, a side dump on a track loader is extremely handy. I was back filling foundations with it and found it invaluable:pointhead

loaderman

Occupation
973 operator
I ran a 977k with a side dump in the 80's all right to operate same as regular bucket You dump and push the same ,you can wing dirt over if you open bucket up.It has a 3 rd lever to dump it sideways good when you dump into an backhoes bucket used on road jobs mostly sewer and watermain work, also ran 963 with side dump.

Last edited:

wnydirtguy

I play with one for a company I used to work for. an old 977 with a lot of power. I loved the machine. it didn't get used a lot mostly for pipe work in places a wheel loader didn't go. I think they may actually be selling it.

ljudd

Operated Cat 977 with a side dump bucker at Geco mine in northern Ontario, Canada
for a contractor doing developement work. The side dump bucket was handy in narrow drifts where I loaded a 22 ton Euclid truck. I also operated an Eimco 105
overhead loader but even though it took 16 feet roof space to clear the bucket the
the Eimco couldn't put much of a load on the truck where the 977 could.