• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Does Anybody know where to get the old Dextron II?

Minnesota Eric

Does Anybody know where to get the old Dextron II transmission fluid?

I have an old 1979 Hough H80B project with a S-700 transmission, and my service book tells me to use Dextron II. I've also been told not to use newer versions of Dextron because they are "too slippery." I've been adding Case Hy-Tran as needed but I'd like to change the fluid in my loader's transmission to zero it for maintenance hours.

That said, I'm having a really hard time trying to locate where I can get Dextron II.

Thanks for any help or advice!

51561293242_60e88466ba_k.jpg

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
1973 called and wants your Dextron II back. Sorry. That went away with bell bottoms and Bonanza. The licensing and blending ended decades ago.

Everyone will say Dextron is backwards compatible, but that’s not entirely true. There is a viscosity difference. Maybe that’s what you mentioned with the “slippery” comment.

DEX VI is less viscous, but much more shear stable than the old DEX II formula.
I’ve ran into this question before back in my oil jobber days. My tribologist recommended Castrol Domestic Multi-Vehicle. Another smart dude I worked with recommended Mercon V as a substitute for DEX II in old stuff.

I think a Allison TES-295 would probably be a good option. I’d probably try this and see how it performs. It certainly won’t hurt anything.

IDK. I’d like to hear more opinions. I’ll ponder this some more.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I believe bac around five years ago for the few things that called for Dextron we were using a Mercon oil. Can't even recall what would have used that.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I've heard of "Dexron", but not "Dextron".

If I google "Dextron II" it shows me results for "Dexron II", and asks if I really want to see results for for Dextron II. I think that " t " in the middle doesn't belong there.

Bluox

I've heard of "Dexron", but not "Dextron".

If I google "Dextron II" it shows me results for "Dexron II", and asks if I really want to see results for for Dextron II. I think that " t " in the middle doesn't belong there.
Vtech volunteered to be the spelling police you know.
Hope you didn't hurt his feelers.
DexronIII and Mercon are the same thing and are still sold in the same bottle.
Bob

Last edited:

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I decided a long time ago it wasn't worth the trouble to play the role of spelling policeman, but if you're searching for something on the internet, you get the best results when you have the spelling correct.

Is there such a product as "Dextron", or is it a common error to spell it that way?

Bluox

I decided a long time ago it wasn't worth the trouble to play the role of spelling policeman, but if you're searching for something on the internet, you get the best results when you have the spelling correct.

Is there such a product as "Dextron", or is it a common error to spell it that way?
I have never seen it spelled that way and apparently neither has Google and we all know Google can't be wrong.
Bob

heymccall

Dexron iii can absolutely be used in place of Dexron ii.

Dexron vi, however, can make seals turn brittle if they weren't designed for Dexron vi.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
That’s awesome!
Could probably hit up enough garage sales, estate sales and farm auctions to acquire enough for a drain & fill.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
I've put III in several old ass machines that called for II in the past with no ill effects that we know of.