• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Distubing video found.

shooterm

Occupation
Operator
In my younger years at Camp Pendelton I did around the same thing coming off a road into a firebreak. I left my blade up alittle to long and started to slide down the fire break as I slowly unfroze. I slowed it down enuff by getting my blade down and pulling track steer/using blade I cant even remeber. Single most stupid thing I've ever done that video really creeps me out. Its to bad this operator didnt get a 2nd chance.

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
I guess that sort of thing happens when there are too many moderators and there is no communication.....same thing happened to me one time ;)

It does some like the kind of thing that would be over the imaginary, moving boundries and lines here on HEF :rolleyes: ......never mind trying to educate someone by allowing a vid like this that might save a members life someday by learning from example.

Pj

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
yup , posted it and the same day it was removed ,

Sorry, I didn't look far enough back. I'll take the blame for missing that. You said a month, so I didn't look much further, but I see now it was back in June. Time flies...

And Pj, the mods work as a team, communicate quite frequently, and we don't make a habit of second guessing each other. Not all judgements can be totally objective. There's plenty of gray area, and we get a lot more compliments than we do complaints.

But thanks for your input.

Last edited:

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
I was traumatized for days after seeing that video. Some mistakes are so final.

i actually just ment to post a link and not embed it but it autoembeded. I know seeing these two vids and reading about the Calfire accident that my definition of "safe" has shifted a bit. No warning your in trouble just bam your on your own. A local guy was working on a steep fill and kept telling us he would be fine, that if he started to slide he would just drop the rippers to stop himself.... Then the whole fill slid, so sinkin in the rippers did not do a thing, was like an avalance. He survived but broke his back. I think about that anytime i see someone where "I am not going out there".

JDOFMEMI

I remember a lengthy discussion on the one with the 330 going down the slope a while back. Maybe a year or so. I searched, but did not find it. It would be good reading for some of the recent members and those who missed it the first time.

When I get on my hi speed connection, I will search for it again.

There is also a full length video, 4 or 6 minutes, on youtube.

thebaz

Yeah,
I viewed that vid of the 330 when that thread was alive. Although a horrible thing to witness, it sure brings home the reality of what we do and how it can all be over in a second. I personally hate working on big slopes especially with a track loader as it only takes a rock outcrop or old slippery log that is invisible under grass and you are out of control. No steering, no brakes.........:shf

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
i'm not saying that seat belts would help either outcome but......why wouldnt a guy wear a seatbelt especially if working on terrain such as this.

it bothers me that the door is open on the hoe too, but oh' well

Pj

DPete

Much like the dozer vid the hoe just didn't quit to get help and passed the point of no return. A tow at the right time would have prevented both disasters.

Tracklayer

I was a little surprised that the earlier thread with the video was locked. The rollover was a tragedy, but the video was not gory. We talk about the details of accidents on this forum, so I don’t see how that is much different from a video showing a dozer roll, but no actual human involvement. And the video does raise some interesting questions about how the accident happened and how it might have been prevented.

Some have wondered if the accident was staged in some way. If you stop and start the video several times during the roll sequence, and watch close, I think it conveys a more graphic depiction of the roll and disintegration of the dozer. In the end, the blade flies off, sailing high into the air. At the very end, you can see one track (just the chains and grousers) running free down the hill like a rolling tire. Interestingly, it does not look like the ROPS came apart. The operator may have not been belted, and may therefore have been thrown out at some point. But if the operator had been wearing a seatbelt, I wonder if he might have survived the roll, assuming that the ROPS held together.

I get the impression that rolling those rocks might have been just a little horseplay. What other purpose could there have been? Even if you had to get them removed from where they were, sending them for what might be over a mile roll seems a bit careless, considering that some person might somehow end up in their path.

The people doing the video do seem rather mysterious. If rolling the boulders was just horseplay the video people might have been in on the plan and taking video to show the spectacular results. But their reaction to the dozer roll does seem almost as though they do not realize what is happening. I think the missing video might just be coincidence. They might have decided that there was no point in running the video until a rock came down, and just then, the dozer came down.

I speculate that the operator got the dozer so steep that it could not back up. With the weight of the blade, and the steep downgrade, the tractor would have been front-heavy. The tracks would be loaded up on their idlers, and as they slipped, they would dig down and worsen the angle. Slipping the tracks, trying to back up, would bounce the dozer around on the loose, gravely / rocky soil. Once the machine was up on its tiptoes, it would be easy for it to swing/fall to one side or the other. And once that happened, it would be sideways to the slope, and the momentum from the swing would begin the side roll.

It would be interesting to learn the actual details of this accident.

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
that was brutal to watch, and, if he was belted in, he was dead in 4 or 5 rolls.

slagpot

Didn't think this post would fly. In any case at least we got the real story on it and learned something from it.

Never operate a bulldozer on a sandy steep slope and then turn ,while the blade is in the air,while doing something you know you shouldn't be doing in the first place. {Complete utter run on sentence structure.}

Slagpot

thebaz

Oh yeah, and if you are doing something that is stupid enough to warrant someone videoing it, have another think if it is going to end in tears.

d9ripper

Occupation
Dozer operator
I doubt that was set up he clearly had no experience with operating a excavator with the boom al the way in the way it was he should of had his boom out and the bucket in the ground to give somne stability once it started rolling there was no stopping it just sad what a waste of a nice machine and im sure a nice guy!!

logger mike

The dozer video you have all reffered to is definately real. It ocurred in Lassen County California not far from the Nevada line off hwy 395. The machine as some have stated was a John Deere, unbelievably this machine still works in Nevada somewhere. Yes the operator is no longer with us, i have seen the Lassen and washoe county nv coroner photos as it was iffy whether it was in nv or ca, the folks that filmed it had no clue what was going on they were just traveling on 395. The part that always got to me is when he gets up on that rock the guy watching him doesnt try to stop him. And i also knew Matt Will as well thats all im willing to say about his accident. Both preventable, definately.

andoman

Much like the dozer vid the hoe just didn't quit to get help and passed the point of no return. A tow at the right time would have prevented both disasters.

+1,000,000

I was watching the hoe thinking the same thing. The machine began to slide and he caught it with the bucket (on a steeper portion of the slope then the initial starting point of the slide) and tried to adjust the machine instead of hooking up for a tow. I think I would have bailed after it stopped sliding the first time but hind sight is 20/20. :beatsme

Tracklayer

Wawrecker,

Thanks for posting that accident report. It does provide insight to the accident. The operator probably would have avoided the roll if he could have kept the dozer length aligned with the slope. But as the slope got steeper, he did not have the traction to back up. As the tracks slipped, the dozer swung down sideways to the slope. The operator may not have expected that to happen, and it probably happend fast. And once the dozer had fallen into that sideways position, it easily rolled sideways.

The best course of action would have been to stop and get a tow when he found he could not back up. But it is hard to give up if you think you can work your way out of the problem.