• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dipper Drifting Down

styxplo

Occupation
EE
I have a Case 580k old style and the dipper is drifting down with the stick centered. Is there a trick to figure out if it is the cylinder or the valve. From the hydraulic schematic it looks like there is a check. Thanks

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
lots of different ways to check things by either switching hoses around from different cylinders or capping hoses on the cylinders... or hooking up pressure gauges/flow meters... etc...

Welder Dave

Most of the time it's cylinder seals. Is there any weeping on the rod where it comes out of the gland nut? That could be an indicator the internal seals are probably worn as well.

Tinkerer

I have a Case 580k old style and the dipper is drifting down with the stick centered.
Is there a trick to figure out if it is the cylinder or the valve. From the hydraulic schematic it looks like there is a check. Thanks

You are saying with the stick (boom ?) centered. The boom position should not be related to dipper cylinder drift.
I would get a complete kit and reseal the cylinder. It probably needs it anyway. If the problem is no better then it is prolly the valve. The lever is totally in the neutral position right when the dipper drifts right ?

styxplo

Occupation
EE
Thanks for the replies.... Its not really weeping at the gland. I was thinking it was blowing by the piston. I just didn't want to tear the cylinder apart only to find it was the valve leaking. Tinkerer.... I should have been more clear when I said stick I meant the control lever is centered (its not sticking or anything, it spring return to center just fine) Thanks

franklin2

Have you guys ever noticed a leaking cylinder runs hotter than one that is not leaking internally? I have seen that before, but didn't know if it was common enough to be used as a troubleshooting method.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Yes, they can get hotter.. a flir camera will show it up good :) or any cheap temp gun can work it's just not as simple.

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
Run the cylinder in question so the relief valve is activated then just feel the end of the cylinder the pistons at it will be fairly warm if the seal is leaking. This way of doing it works best when there's 2 cylinders involved because you can compare the 2 for temp. dif.