• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dipper cylinder not working on 580SL

69zfarmer

I have a 580SL Series 2 with extendahoe. It only has 2500 hours on it. I just used it yesterday and everything was working. Today the dipper will not move in either direction. It is the only circuit that is not working. It does labor the engine down just a little in both directions.
I have a service manual on the 580SL. The troubleshooting ladder in service manual. Says: If cylinders dont move in either direction.
Check spool travel if it is ok. Get drastic!
"The control valve can have internal wear or damage. Repair or replace the control valve as necessary"
What else can i check before pulling the valve bank?

Attachments

• 96.jpg
    96.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 9

Tags

I would imagine it is possible that the nut has come off the end of the rod inside the cylinder, but not 100% sure on that. If it has mechanical linkage for the backhoe , just check to see visually that it's moving the spool in and out when you move your lever, it just seems awfully weird that it would just affect the diperstick if it was a hydraulic problem...

69zfarmer

Man i am blessed by the best. I pulled cylinder and rod just slipped all the way out and hit the ground. Big 1 1/2" bolt that hold piston on rod backed off. I am really lucky nothing is damaged inside.