• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Digging over sprockets

Scrub Puller

Yair...excuse my ignorance but I have not run excavators since the days of the chain drive Kato's. I was told then to always dig over the idler end so that dirt doesn't build up around the drive chains.

I have noticed a few comments here on the subject and wonder in these days of enclosed final drives what difference does it make?

I get to observe several 13-25 ton excavators working on a road job and it seems to make no neverminds to them. I also saw a large Cat 324 walk about three quarters of a mile with the sprockets to the front.

Any comments folks?

Cheers.

JDOFMEMI

heavylift

old hoes, the drive motor stuck out. so when you would dig backwards you had the chance of ripping the drive motors off the hoe.

beside why set on a hoe when the control does just the opposite of the way you push them.

I always dig over the front

Drc

I understood you should dig over the front idlers, but with the rubber tracks and blade on our Takeuchi's we usually dig over the sprockets

coorecat

I never got a straight answer from the guys in the shop but when we ran the bedding boxes on our 1250's and 385's we dug over the drives and had the boxes over the idlers.

Drc

Indeed and when are bucket teeth upside down?

If the teeth are put on "upside down" the bucket will load if the floor of the bucket is held flat which would suggest the teeth are the right way up?

maddog

On my mini's I allways try to dig over the idlers just seems to be smarter. This doesn't allways work out though, sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.