• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Digging in limestone

danielm

I'm digging a hole and got into soft rock that's getting harder at about four feet. Need to go another four if possible for the basement.

Is there a universal breaker for old equipment available? Dynamite? :eek:

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
Well, Guess we need to know what old means to you. I would imagine that if you could manage to get it attached to the end of the stick and had the right pressure hydrolics and your pump could meet the need of the braker, that you could put about any breaker of the appropriate size on. I know some machines have nitrigon installed or something to hydrolics for running breakers but I dun know much about if it is needed or why.

danielm

Old. This might be a post for the "old Iron" section. :D

I will be using a small IH 2400 backhoe. So far I've dug a decent size hole 40x50x4' using my old MF203 Workbull. I think its circa 1963-65, 40hp Perkins.
I just go slow and "treat it like my grandma" like the local parts dealer tells me.

I figure if I can find a hammer for the hoe I'll eventually get there.

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
Try throwing a 1ft bucket on before buying a hammer if you have the bucket. If the rock is soft so far, the narrower bucket will give you better breakout and ease to pick between cracks in the rock to pull it out.

danielm

Picking up the backhoe today. I'll see how it picks at the rock and start looking for a narrow bucket. I could use it for some needed trenching anyways.

dirthog

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
hyd hammer

you are going to have a hard time running a hammer on that old machine first there is most likley not any hyd lines on it to run a hammer second it would be VERY expensive to install if you could find the parts also that small machine will not have enough hyd flow to run a hammer unless it is a very small one

danielm

you are going to have a hard time running a hammer on that old machine first there is most likley not any hyd lines on it to run a hammer second it would be VERY expensive to install if you could find the parts also that small machine will not have enough hyd flow to run a hammer unless it is a very small one

Ahh... very encouraging.

What kind of volume does a small hammer require?

What else would be demanding hydraulics when using a hoe hammer? It looks to me things are almost standind still when hammering.

I'll just pick at it 'till I get there. No hurry...

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I'd look into renting a pneumatic hammer. It's been a few years, but I've been able to rent one small enough to mount on a 580C. I think it took about a 185 cfm air compressor to run it. A bigger one took about a 250.

The only drawback is that it's a chore to switch back and forth between hammer, and bucket, when it comes time to dig out what you've broken up.

dirthog

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
hammer

The smallest hammer would need around 7-10 gal per min. plus around 2100-2400psi. you still need flow to the other function to keep pressure on the boom and dipper stick also to move the bucket to keep the hammer working right. we have had people try and install to large of a hammer on to small of a machine at our dealership thinking they did not need any flow other than to run the hammer and they are always very upset when it does not work right.

xcavate77

hammer/breaker

best bet is to rent a hoe w/ a breaker several advantages

no wear and tear on your iron
no swapping attachments
hammers are expensive (over 10K for a new one and used ones are cheap for 1 reason they are junk 90% of the time)

danielm

Slow progress

I've been picking at this rocky hole a couple of hrs a week for the past few weeks and have got a good size area down to around 8 feet of depth.

There's a few spots my bucket just won't cut.

I'm wondering if some tiger teeth might help fracture the hard rock.

Twin or single tooth???

Diggin up some really interesting fossils.

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
I had chance to buy a frost pick for an E that I bought last summer. The chap wanted a fair bit for it and my friend said they weren't very popular. Would something like that work good in limestone or is the point not sharp enough to get under the layer? I suppose there's the hassle of changing back to the bucket too. Phil:)

danielm

Looking at the teeth on this bucket I noted that they appear to be staked in place. No pins or bolt that I could see.
I don't think I can change 'em. :(

dirthog

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
teeth

those would be a older style of tooth believe the # is2A there are not as many styles around for those not sure about tiger teeth but I will look tomorrow

PineHandlePro

Dunno if this would help, low grade legal explosive ran across it on the web awile back

http://www.ezebreak.com

They have a testimonal (true or not) about using their product in place of a hydo hammer on limestone. Fire in the hole!!

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums PineHandlePro! :drinkup

jughead

Occupation
retired
i bought some stuff a few years back in alabama. it was a white powder. mixed it with water about the thickness of heavy cream. drille d a row of holes in the rock. poured them full went back the next day had pieces of rock that my hoe could handle. it expands when it dries. if interested will look around for name on an old bag.