• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Digging Graves

CT18fireman

Occupation
Owner
I am bidding a religious complex for a variety of services. They have a small cemetary as part of it. I need to know come up with a price to dig / backfill the occassional grave. I know I can do the work, I have the equipment (probably get a dump cart). What is a fair price to charge knowing that it is not a scheduled service. Keep in mind it is part of a complete landscaping contract I am bidding.

Anyone do or done this work that can offer prices or other advice?

Thanks.

diggerdave1958

Well, CT18, a few years ago i was called in to dig a couple graves the "normal" contractors machine was broken and they needed someone on call. I took the job until there contractors machine was up and running. Just keep in mind that u have to be VERY carefull when u are digging there is almost NO room between the plots i dug one that was between 2 graves one was from 1886? and the other was around the 70' and there was just 60" between them. so we had to load the dirt on to power buggies and move it to the back of the cemetary until the service was over and then bring back about 1/3 of what we dug to fill it in. but i got around $275.00 at the time to dig and backfill the extra dirt stayed onsite. Hope that helps ???

daman

Occupation
Agriculture,Truck Driver,Mechanic
Dave what bucket did you use 36", bigger??

CT18fireman

Occupation
Owner
Yeah that's basically what they want. Dig, have the dirt on a cart or truck, stockpile the extra and fill in / seed after the service. I would then be mowing etc the whole place. My concern to was the space between them. I was thinking of saying $300 so that is close to what you got. I was told they average 2 a year. Of course if I get it this will be the year they need 10 dug. The real catch is that you need to be ready because obviously you only have a day or two. Always need to have someone available or a good backup.

Reuben

We dig graves at a local cemetary but it is more of a volunteer service then anything....we dig it for $125 bucks and they back fill it themselves. It takes about 15-20 minutes from the first scoop till the last scoop. But ya things are tight in the cemetary. I have had the care taker say " Not sure if there is a grave here or not but if it there is it is probably an old wooden one" It always freaks me out a bit hen he says stuff like that because we all no you really are not going to be able to tell if you snag the old thing. And I have snagged them a couple times. It never sits well with me when that happens. I actually have never once sent an employee to dig one either for that reason. (And it doesnt pay enough to send someone else). I bet I have encountered concrete vaults atleast 40 times,usually when digging next to a spouse or relative of the person we are digging the hole for. Grave digging can be very unsettling

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
About ten years ago I was doing labour work for a small backhoe firm and we occasionally dug a few graves, this was during the winter too. Most of the time it was pretty uneventful I cleaned up around the grave site and helped setup the green carpets they used around it, shoveled snow if it was tight, etc. Well the boss who was running the backhoe was taking his last few bucketfuls of dirt out when one wall of the hole caved in exposing the side of a pine box and then all the water that was in that grave started pouring in. I was probably 19 at the time and been around a few sewer and water excavations that sloughed in growing up as a kid but not a grave I thought I was going to see who was next door. lol Well I cant remember exactly how the boss cleaned it up but I seem to remember he bucketed out most of the water and hid it in the snow I think, then he used some of the dry mud he had already dug out and mixed it with the slop and cleaned it up pretty nicely. He phoned the funeral director people and they brought some longer carpets to hide the other box and nobody found out about what had happened. We backfilled normally and while I was still freaked out about it, the boss told me that was nothing he had hit unmarked graves before. Sorry if I went off topic I just wanted to tell my little bit of excitement with grave digging.

diggerdave1958

Yea, Daman i use my 36" bucket, back then i had a Case 580C and the 36" bucket was a smooth edge, i was not sure which bucket to use and the contractor that did there work told me to use a toothless bucket as he said they are not always sure what maybe down there when u dig, did'nt want to break into anything "buried" there.

CT18fireman

Occupation
Owner
Dave

How did you position your machine? My concern is having room to work around the headstones.

I have a property walk around with the grounds commitee chair today so at least I have some knowledge on the subject. I will see what he says and then let you guys know.

Thanks

daman

Occupation
Thanks Dave yea i thought so,,FORD actually had a "grave bucket" that you could buy it was more flat on the bottom with not much of a "heel" like a standard bucket of today good for excavating of strait up and down walls.

diggerdave1958

CT18, that is going to be the trick of it getting the room to dig, when i dug the graves i was sitting on the "lane" they have between the rows of head stones it was about 8' wide so i dug from the side and was loading the power buggys inline with the back of the backhoe. not the fastest way to dig but the only way i could figure out how to do it ?!?!?

Last edited:

Drag.liner

We dig graves for a local millitary base. They have run out of room in there cemitary. Meaning any one that wants to be buried with a spouse we have to dig up the grave that is there. Pull it out dig it down set it back in and then put it back put some dirt in then they set the next one goes right on top. Luckilly this does not happen very often. The two that I have been on had no concrete vault just a rustying metal casket. Just a little unsettling when we find that.

daman

Occupation
We dig graves for a local millitary base. They have run out of room in there cemitary. Meaning any one that wants to be buried with a spouse we have to dig up the grave that is there. Pull it out dig it down set it back in and then put it back put some dirt in then they set the next one goes right on top. Luckilly this does not happen very often. The two that I have been on had no concrete vault just a rustying metal casket. Just a little unsettling when we find that.
Wow...

xcmark

Occupation
construction
the guy that lives next door to me does this for a living , He uses a JD 110 backhoe. Keep in mind if you had to dig in the winter you need to provide propane ground thaw and a 100 lb tank of propane for every hole. His is basicly a 8' x 4' 1/8" thick plate box with a gas train inside that burns all night and they dig the next day .

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Couldn't you use a frost ripper? I've used them lots for all kinds of jobs.

daman

Occupation
Must be a Ma thing, when my gramps died in late Jan he had to stay at the funeral home till ground was able to be dug.

diggerdave1958

In my town here in MI our DPW has a propane ground thawing unit they use in the city owned Cemetary. But most of the cemetarys are church owned and they hire out the digging I think a frost ripper would cause some problem with the head stones but i think u would use what u have to get the job done ??

daman

Occupation
Like i said we had to wait till the ground thawed or they didn't have the right equipment,small town so hard to say.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
It is pretty common to put the cadavers in storage until spring where I was born in the state of Maine,they are still doing it that way.I dug my fathers grave by hand and he died in march.I do remember that I had plenty of time to get it dug but that was in '63.Ron G

atgreene

I helped my father dig my grandmothers grave in Jan. of '00. We built a pine vault and set it in the hole next to my grandfathers plot. He was also buried by my father and placed in a pine vault that he had built back then. She always said she did not want to be put in storage if she died in the winter. Luckily we didn't have any collapses.

All the ones I have done have been by hand. Trying to get a machine in is real hard in some places. In a couple hours you can move a lot of dirt.

Frost is a major issue to consider. The problem with a ripper, at least mine, is if you can break through they peel back a big area. And if you get a 2-4 feet of frost like around here it's going to be a long day. You may want to clarify the policy on frost digging. If it is required, frost means all bets are off cost-wise.

daman

Occupation
Thats got to be tough digging that size hole by hand,wow..